News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Desnorkeled SV air filter?

Started by 2002r6, October 23, 2004, 09:49:56 PM

2002r6

Is it SS legal to remove the snorkel from a stock SV650 air filter?  

diablo

Its not legal.  I was told it was and then got a big DQ at the last round in gingerman.  

2002r6

Sorry to hear that, for you and for me (mostly for you).

Super_KC124

It's not against the rules to modify the stock air cleaner, but they will disqualify you for modifing it. ::)

Dawn

QuoteIt's not against the rules to modify the stock air cleaner, but they will disqualify you for modifing it. ::)

We told you.....

That whole "I would have won in a court of law..." doesn't hold true when Larry is in tech.   ;)

Eric Kelcher

Just a side note. Be very careful int he purchase of Aftermarket Air Filters. THe inlet size must be the same size as stock. K&N did not make a legal one (I believe I heard they now make a legal one but cannot find it for sale unless the current model for sale is revised) and the other major maker of fliters BMC makes one that is legal and one that is not.

I am unsure which is the legal one from Street and comp http://www.streetandcomp.com/mcart/index.cgi?ID=R193PY&task=show&cat=Air+Filters+%2d+BMC+%2d+Suzuki
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Nate R

How by rules, can you modify the filter on a 99-02 SV? The filter decides the size of the intak on teh 99-02. You desnorkle, you change the size of the intake, which is illegal.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

2002r6

I actually heard back from Kevin Elliot on this one.  He said:

A rules committee decision allows removal of the stock snorkel as long as the opening into the air filter is not increased. (Most cut 6-10mm inside the opening to insure they do not exceed the stock diameter.

Nate R

Ahh. I guess in that sense, you can desnorkle without increasing the intake size. It just depends which method you use to get rid of the snorkel part.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

diablo

I sent this thread a Kevin Elloit to see if this was really true. I did get a DQ and was quite embarassed about the whole thing.  I am still waiting to hear back from him.  On a second note I was told I should have read the rule book . I only ran two races the last Blackhawk race and Gingerman and was told they did not have any. I understand its on the web but gosh dang.

Michael Snell
Midwest / Great Plains
Am 134 or  34 depending on who is running things at that race.  

2002r6

That was Kevin's response to me, verbatim.  I can forward you his email if you'd like.