Small twins & Thumper Class?

Started by CCS854, October 01, 2004, 03:14:54 PM

Thumper881

Paul,
 FYI Last Oct. was the first ULSB national. The previous years were all the old classes.

PJ

Yes, Thumper, you are correct. But it was essentially the same class and the same rules, just called Middleweight Sportsman. Edited the post...
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

CCS854

QuoteHey Eric,
 I don't understand you? If they take out the Buells& the small Ducs there would be no one on the grid. I ran the whole season hoping i'd run in to you some time. I know your bike is fast enough, and if any knows there way around VIR. Whats the big deal!
 I didn't win one race last season , but I had a hell of a good time. Sold my MuZ to Bob Up in the LRRS.
so I guess we can compete together any more  :(
                                It was fun..... ;D

Kevin
  I can't really afford to sell the MuZ as long as I can run it in WERA competitively...I built it to the hilt in late 2003 to compete in existing classes so I wouldn't have to make excuses...no more 'underdog' status ;D  So now do I sell the bike for a many $k loss, having done only 1 CCS race on it (at Daytona in 2003) so I can start building a new bike again; do I run it in bump-up classes only w/ CCS, or do I just run it where it's competitive?

However, I AM going to do some CCS races this yr...mostly VIR & Summit Shenandoah, cuz they're technical circuits that the Thumpers can compete on (I walked the Shen.Circuit last fall & contrary to popular opinion I think it should be fun...on a small bike ;) ).  Look forward to seeing you sometime this yr.

Thumper881

Great I'm looking forward to it. I took a big hit on the MuZ. Now I'm kicking my self in the arse. I didn't find out about the change till after.When I bitched last year they told me to buy a Buell.Good thing I didn't take that advice.I'm just riding the duc this year. I'll just ride it till they change the rules against us .I'm just bitter over the whole thing.If you don't run one of the premier classes they just dump on you.      See you soon...

CCS854

QuoteActually, CCS did bump the XB9 out of ULSB for 2005...
..Now I will have to either sell my XB9 or invest the $$$ to build it into a 12...

O.K.  Shows what I know...I thought (assumed?:-[ ) the XB9 was based on the 883cc sportster engine.  So it's over 900cc?

Thumper881

984 - Not much fun competing with that. I watched one guy at Barber,if I got to close he would just twist it and walk away from me.I felt like he was just toying with me.

PJ

Quote984 - Not much fun competing with that. I watched one guy at Barber,if I got to close he would just twist it and walk away from me.I felt like he was just toying with me.

Yep, my stock XB9 is pretty fast compared to a single. And Barber (while not exactly a horsepower track) was one of the 6 ULSB races I won last season. But I got beat by guys on Ducati 800s that make more hp and weigh less. And by rather fast Hawk 700s at Road America and Daytona said to make more than 95 hp. And by Aaron Risinger's Aprilia 250 (who also beat you at Barber). The point is, ULSB is the former Middleweight Sportsman class, and a single isn't going to be competitive against any of these bikes with good riders aboard.

Next you'll be crying about the Ducs, then the Hawks, then the 'prillers. Kick all those bikes out and you'll have the SuperSingles class again, with nobody on the grid to race against.

Before the class evaporates entirely, I might just have to dust off an old TwinSports Sportster (the rules allow unlimited displacement).

Let the whining begin (again)...  ;)
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

CCS854

Quote...Next you'll be crying about the Ducs, then the Hawks, then the 'prillers. Kick all those bikes out and you'll have the SuperSingles class again, with nobody on the grid to race against...  ;)

Well, you're probably right, PJ, but as I said earlier most of the small twins & thumpers will definitely go away from CCS with the current class structure...even 'Thumper881' isn't racing a thumper any more ;).  Whether a class combining the old LW Sprtsmn & SSingles would have been viable is moot now...we'll never know.

Somehow LRRS has kept those old classes alive...that's where Kevin's MZ is now.  

Good luck on the XB12 in LW sprbike

Super Dave

QuoteSomehow LRRS has kept those old classes alive..

Perspective might be in order.

Years and years ago, singles used to be raced.  But they were usually built models that competed in and among other classes with other bikes.

Even a prime example was the fact that the AMA allowed 600cc singles in 250GP at one time.  

Most singles were of the builders variety...Wood Rotax set ups with Spondon chassis, etc.  Notice that Single's have always been allowed to have no restrictions on frames.

Lately, there have been a few bikes built with single cylinder.  The MZ was one.  Yeah, it's fun, but it reminded me more of an underpowered RZ350.  Never thought the chassis was stellar.  Was good racing with contingency when that happened, racing MZ's against MZ's...but that's it.

Anyway, these Supersingles classes were new, not old, classes.  They never caught on.  Just not enough coverage to do it.  Loudon?  Well, you're in a different market.  Different areas have different strengths.  There are a whole lot more lightweight entries in the eastern regions than what we have in the midwest.
Super Dave