News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Helmet removal

Started by motomadness, June 02, 2004, 08:01:13 PM

motomadness

I saw a video of my post crash care by the corner workers at BHF May 9th in T7.  I have to first say thank you for the care you provided me.  Secondly, I want to say that I am not sure it was the best choice to remove my helmet prior to EMT care given the condition I might have presented at the time - passing out, dizzy, etc.  I am not blaming anyone for my concussion, I just want you guys to follow the emergency care procedures, and try not to be too overzealous.  In this case, I cannot say for sure that you didn't, I don't remember anything prior to being put in the ambulance.  If my injuries were more severe, that helmet removal prior to EMT care may have resulted in much greater harm than good.

Thanks again for the care, but please be a little more careful in the steps you follow after a rider has sustained an obvious head injury.

the_weggie_man

A corner worker removed your helmet? I believe they are instructed to never do that before medical help arrives.

EmerWil

In the case of our MARRC training we teach new workers to never remove a riders helmet.  

Hopefully this can be addressed and corrected at your venue.

motomadness

I edited my original note because I thought it unfairly presented the actions of the cornerworkers following my accident.  My intentions for this note were to just to highlight that even though you want to help the fallen rider, take time to really understand his/her state before removing a helmet.

Oh and by the way, no one prompted me to write this followup note.  I truly appreciate the efforts of all cornerworkers, and know they are a neccesity, not an impedance, and I want each and every one of they to keep coming out the races and give us their best.

Thanks again all,

TrackBrat

Interesting subject...........
We were always taught that the most we could do is to lift the visor and loosen the chin strap.  That is regardless of whether you are trained to remove a helmet or not.  Some Orgs. are different. We are also told we can never move a rider regardless if they ask you to help or not.   This also reminds me of a situation a friend of mine was stuck with...........
He had a rider down just a couple of feet off the race line.  Rider was obviosly broken and couldn't move on his own.  My friend told him that fluid was on the track and he had to try to move immediatly.  Not taking any chances on what the fluid was, the rider begged for him to drag him out of the way.  After about 30 seconds my bud went against all he was taught and moved him.  Considering the circumstances,  it was a brave yet difficult decision on his part.  It also saved this rider from more injury.  This cornerworker was "talked to" about this incident.  

I don't know the entire story of the helmet removal,  but I do know in "some" situations there is no time for procrastination.
Glad it worked out for you MOTO.  Some aren't so lucky.  

Mark Bentley was the corner worker that day.  He saw the desperation of the situation and took control of it.  He saved a life that day........and I am damned proud to work along side of him.  If anyone visits Jennings GP,  you ought to say hello to him.  He answers to Bentley or "Sugarbear".  LOL

vallzurra

somtimes a racer might ask for help with his/her helmet, " i tell em i'll take off your gloves , you remove your own helmet"...it might sound nasty
but they get the picture;generaly its still a hot track
and their probally better w/ it on.....great topic
thanks to the racer that brought it up....v

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteA corner worker removed your helmet? I believe they are instructed to never do that before medical help arrives.

Gordies right. We are told NOT to remove them.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

motomadness

Found out the guys that removed my helmet were trained EMT's.  That makes me feel a lot better.  However, for those that are not trained, please just be aware of the potential harm such action may cause.

Thanks again.

firerider

Myself being a paramedic, removing a helmet in the field after a crash should only happen if there is suspected airway problems. Simply stated if you lift the visor and check, and the person seems to be breathing normally, leave the helmet on, if there is little or no breathing, or possible airway trama, by all means pull that helmet off. Without air, you wont have to worry about being paralized :(

Chris_s

QuoteMyself being a paramedic, removing a helmet in the field after a crash should only happen if there is suspected airway problems. Simply stated if you lift the visor and check, and the person seems to be breathing normally, leave the helmet on, if there is little or no breathing, or possible airway trama, by all means pull that helmet off. Without air, you wont have to worry about being paralized :(

I am an EMT in New Jersey......And what firerider said is exactly to the point.  If a helmet must be removed in order to assist with a patients airway.......by all means CAREFULLY and with the head being supported (preferrably by another trained person) SLOWLY remove the helmet.

firerider

Photo_Chick

I see a lot about helmet removal dos and don'ts.  WHen I corner worked we were always told that was a no no.  Let the medics take care of it.  Someone brought up that its ok if they are trained.  I know I have my medic first aid and all the other stuff but how many of the corner workers are trained or certified in CPR and First Aid?