Helmet removal

Started by motomadness, June 02, 2004, 08:01:13 PM

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteI see a lot about helmet removal dos and don'ts.  WHen I corner worked we were always told that was a no no.  Let the medics take care of it.  Someone brought up that its ok if they are trained.  I know I have my medic first aid and all the other stuff but how many of the corner workers are trained or certified in CPR and First Aid?

I think we have a few nurses and EMTs corner working BHF.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

K3 Chris Onwiler

I've never seen any corner worker try to remove a helmet out on a corner, and I have spent a lot of years working corners!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Mark Bernard

At BHF last weekend (5/7-8/05) there was a vendor there that is introducing a new helmet removal system. It is basicly an air bag that is placed under the linning of your bucket and has a hose that runs down the side that a hand held pump is attatched to and inflates the bag and pushes the helmet off the racers head when inflated. There is a little sticker on the side of the helmet indicating the location of the hose. This is a very nifty system! No pressure is excerted on the riders head as the bag is inflated to remove the helmet. The bag is about a 2x2 inch (flat) square and is not noticable when installed. The vender said that the system will cost us about $35.00. Personally, I think that this system should be made mandatory for the next season. I plan on getting one at the next BHF.
Bernie!
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

dylanfan53

Get one if you like, but it won't do you a bit of good because the EMTs at  BHF don't have a pump to attach to it and don't want one.  

I spoke with them at length after the demo.  They are opposed to it since it isn't in their "protocol".  They said it would probably have to be made mandatory before they'd use it.

Their reasons were that it comes with a CO2 cartridge (unlike the hand pump that was used in the demo we saw) that doesn't allow them to slow the inflation of the bag.  Also, that it doesn't help one of the main difficulties which is getting the helmet past the occipital point (the bump on the skull at its base).  They claimed they'd have better control using their hands to remove the helmet as they do now.

I don't know if their points are valid.  I suspect there's risk in jumping into a new method, no matter how impressive it looks.  
:-/

I agree that the system looked like a simple solution and I hope more research is done.

BTW, they confirmed earlier posts here that EMTs are the only ones allowed to remove a helmet at BHF.
Don Cook
CCS #53

Mark Bernard

Good info Don. I didn't know that about the EMT's. I think you are right tho. More research is definatly needed and everyone needs to be on the same page. You brought up a couple of points that I didn't know about. It will not do any good unless the EMT's are willing to use it. They are the ones who would know best IMO.

Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

tzracer

I spoke with the rep for the product, workers would use a hand pump not a CO2 cartridge (CO2 is often used for speed purposes during a demo) for better control.

Other than cutting off your helmet, it should be better than one person trying to hold your head while another person pulls on your helmet.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

EmerWil

Here's a web site which looks and sounds like the same product.

www.hatsoff.info

Honestly, from my training and my knowledge of track procedures I quite honestly hope that a medic unit would opt to leave the helmet on and let the doctor's deal with it if they were that concerned about head/neck/or facial trauma.

This product has to put at least SOME pressure on the top of the head.  I can't see it not exuding some pressure against the skull.

Plus if the person were choking or having a breathing problem they would remove the helmet even if there were neck injuries present.

As long as 1 person is correctly supporting the spine the second medical person should be able to remove the helmet.

Injury dictates protocol.  

dylanfan53

QuoteHere's a web site which looks and sounds like the same product.

www.hatsoff.info

Yep that's it.

Brian, it's good to know the hand pump would be used.  That was a concern of the EMTs and I wonder if there was some confusion during their demo.  If this is mandated by IRL and CART you'd think it wouldn't be controversial.  We'll see if it gains acceptance.  
Don Cook
CCS #53

Bill_Ritger

The Midwest Safety Crew has purchased a hand pump. This is FOR DEMONSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY! The cornerworkers will not be removing helmets. I may consider letting the track medical units use our pump. To me these look like a good idea. If you purchase one you should go to the med-shed at your track and let them know about the helmet removal system. ;)