News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

single 4-stroke class

Started by gpmark, August 07, 2002, 07:24:56 AM

gpmark

I'm wanting to know what single 250 4-stroke is competitive. What class does it race in? Does anyone run one? I have other posts here for 2-strokes, but get no replies.  ???  If there is no such bike, what single cyclinder bikes are competitive.

Eric Kelcher

I guess that would be the YZ250F and it would fit in Ultra-Lightweight Sportsman. How competitive don't know haven't seen one run other than dirt and they do well there.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

gpmark

thats a good idea. light weight and power. now back to the rule book.

Dave_Alexander

Super Singles is the class for four stroke thumpers.  How competitive a 250 would be largely depends on who shows up in your region.  Here in the SW region you'd be up against 660cc MuZ Skorpions and 500cc Honda Ascots.  The Ultra-Lightweight Sportsman class mentioned earlier only runs in the Pacific and SouthWest regions.

gpmark

i'm in the central division. Up against 600's? Maybe a yz426 would be a better choice. light and lots of power. I guess i could put it in a 125 gp frame.

Eric Kelcher

hmm  UL Sportsman is Nationwide and only production twins is limited to SW and Pacfic

But for true big thumper competition the YZ426F and the Muz or Rotaxs seem to be the deal in SuperSingles.
Eric Kelcher

ysr612

You know that Brooks has that monster what ever waiting to jump on any poor unsuspecting sap.  Yam 7thousand 500 cc and woods frame or some such thing.  It looks so fast sitting there I am afraid to walk in front of it.

gpmark

Eric, Thanks for info. Do you know what frames they have?

Sean_Alexander

As for two-strokes, which you mention in your original post...

I recomend a lowered Honda CR-500 w/ 17"wheels, tall gearing and a big front brake.  It will absoloutely crush an MUZ, Rotax, YZ-4xx F, etc.  240 Lbs and 70+ reliable horsepower.  It is NOT however eligible for Super Singles.  But is very competative in GP Singles, Lightweight Sportsman, Lightweight Gp, etc...  I'd sell you mine, but it is already sold.

Eric Kelcher

most singles are in custom frames either adaptations of TZ250 or dirt track frames. Then there are spondon or tigcraft custom frames. The MZ comes in a pretty good frame.
Eric Kelcher

bob robbins

:(The class is going to die if somebody doesn't start showing up. I am leadin the points mostly because there are no entries. It's a little embarrassing. At VIR, I never checked the grid until the race and I was the only one. Gee, I did win though. I have skipped most of the races since there is no competition( literally). Anyone witha single should drag it out. I ride a YZ426F since 1999 and in the LLRS series there are at least 7-8 of them along with CR450F's and they are only around 2 seconds slower than the fast er SV times at Loudon. An MZ is a very competitive bike and dirt cheap to get into. Come on guys, think of the trophies getting tossed in the garbage.

gpmark

bob, is your 426 using a special frame or modified stock? If there are some bikes out there not being raced, do you want to sell? It would be alot quicker than building one from stock.