News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Dunlop's tire woes

Started by DRU2, December 10, 2003, 10:48:54 PM

DRU2

Was wondering what other people think about this exploding tire thing.Some people have said that its the bikes, they have too much power, to much tork.But in the same respects the Moto Gp bikes have alot more power & tork then the super bikes and they don't seem to have this problem.Other have said that its time to stop running the Nascar tracks, that they are to fast. But here again the
Gp bikes run at speeds over 200 miles a hour and it seems that some of there tracks are just as fast.although I don't think that they have a track that they go onto the banks like in the Nascar tracks.  Are the AMA riders getting different tires? I have never ridden Daytona,in Europe or have I been on a bike that is that powerful.So I really don't have anything that I can base a opinion on. so i ask you  whats the problem with the Dunlops that are given to the riders in th AMA?

Jeff

You're not riding on the same tires that the AMA guys use.  The compounds and construction are different.  Additionally, I'm led to believe that the factory supported guys get different 'test' tires which may be a complete one-off from what is sold/used/distributed/available to the general public.

Let me ask you this...  How many CCS/WERA/CRA/CMRA (non-AMA) guys have you seen disintegrate a tire?  None...

Would the same thing have happened on a different tire? who knows.  
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

AMA Superbikes are heavier.  That is key.  We are talking about load.  My bus has what 250HP but it needs 10 ply tires because it weighs 9100# empty.  A 250HP car doesn't need the same tire as my bus.

That make sense out of it?

I haven't been a Dunlop racer for a while, regardless, I think Dunlop is a good manufacturer.  I don't know what to say about it all.  The tires that are blowing are definitely the better race tires, but they are certainly not unobtainable as was our experience in AMA Superbike in 2003 with Safety First Racing.

At the AMA level, Dunlop has purchased most of the field.  So, they certainly have more tires out there.  

I myself do use Michelins.  
Super Dave

Mark Bernard

I use Dunlop exclusively and I have never had a problem with them.... I over cooked a set once but that was my fault, not the tires. (Live and learn!) Seeing how I am going to do a full season in 04, I am going to try others (Michilins/Perelli) to see for myself what I really like and what i dont. But overall, I am really happy w/ the Dunlops! (my $0.02)
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

MudDawg

QuoteLet me ask you this...  How many CCS/WERA/CRA/CMRA (non-AMA) guys have you seen disintegrate a tire?  None...

Privateer Brian Livengood popped a tire at Road Atlanta the day before Mladin did it in the race.

Sorry...but last I knew Road Atlanta wasn't a Nascrap track.  

Basically we are looking at the tires not keeping up with the bikes they are being put on.  Yeah...MotoGP bikes put out more hp.  But US riders don't have access to those tires. Plus the AMA bikes are heavier putting more heat and load on the tires.

Either way....time ti try a different manufacturer until Dunlop figures this out.  Either that or put more chicanes out there to slow the bikes down.  People haven't said it...but the new chicane at daytona has allowed even faster speeds throught Nascar turns 3 & 4 at DIS.  Not good on the bigger bikes.

DRU2

So how much lighter are the Gp bikes compared to the Super bikes? And what are the differences in the tires that they use. And if there so different why the hell arnt they used in the here!

unlss29

Not to be tire brand bashing or anything but I don't remember anyinstances of steel belted radials coming apart at high speeds in the last few years. Think about how few tire failures you heard about in Moto GP from all the brands. What's up in the U.S.?

KevinC

MotoGP bikes have different minimum weights, depending on the engine config. Three cylinders can be 135 kg (297 lbs.), 4 or more 145 kg (319 lbs.). That can't be that much lighter than an AMA Superbike, given that the street versions of those bikes weigh 365 or something.

WSB must make the same or more hp, and weigh about the same as the AMA Superbikes.

I don't think the weight or the HP are the real factors here. Either Daytona shouldn't be used anymore, or Dunlop have a problem. Given the two Dunlop tire failures at Atlanta, it seems it might be a Dunlop issue.

Eric Kelcher

Kevin the AMA superbike rule is 370#s the street versions of these bikes are in the 420# range

Seems to be a DUnlop issue Pirelli, Bridestone, and Michelin have not problems with their tires there.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Zac

Maybe Dunlop hired some ex-Firestone engineers...

Nate R

If you read the articles an amasuperbike.com it will make more sense.

The MotoGP guys: What track are they doing THAT much speed THAT long? sure they've hit over 200, but do they do over 180 for anything close to the length of the banking used at Daytona?  Also, the loading from the banking creates more heat, as does the ripples in the pavement from cars. That, and the extra 50 lbs. together will create a TON of heat.

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

r6_philly

and the Ducati and Vaveline guys don't go that fast on Michelins? Michelin hasn't raced at the top level in America for how long? They bring a bunch of tires that are unknown also for "testing" and no issues that we are aware of?

No other tire has experienced a total blown out/failure in AMA as far as I can remember (albeit not that far)

I have never seen seam seperation on any other brand but Dunlop? Quite a lot I might add. Go look at 10 dunlop DOT race tires I bet you more than 1 has seam seperation? They can claim its safe all they want, I don't want to see cracks in my race tire contact surface.