News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Dunlop's tire woes

Started by DRU2, December 10, 2003, 10:48:54 PM

Super Dave

I ride on Michelins...but regardless, one has to admit that there are more Dunlop supported riders on the grid of an AMA national than any tire by far.  So, there is more opportunity there.   And the tires are taxed harder by those guys than what you'd get at a FUSA or WERA national...

So...
Super Dave

Howlin_Mad

One thing that I have not heard is the comparison of racing surfaces in Europe compared to the US.  The standards for FIM and MotoGP are considerably higher than AMA.  This alone will make a difference in the design of the tire that manufactures put out to there teams.  Most tracks in Europe are repaved completely each season with the best asphalt known.  Only Barber that I am aware of comes close to that type of surface.

Super Dave

Good point.  I've been on a lot of different tires.  Sometimes what we got from Europe for the "A" tire was not as good as the "B" tire that followed...on US asphalt.  It can be just different.

Barber...it's using the polymer based stuff.  It's cool but it absolutely blows.  Heartland Park Topeka and Mid-America Motorplex are great examples of what happens to two extremes.  Topeka needs some action on it to make traction, then it works.  Wasn't too abrasive.  But it had no durability.

MAM...extraordinarily abrasive.  I mean, if you were using Pirelli's at one time, you were lucky to get eight laps out of them.  And the durability is aweful.  After about three months, the stuff was crumbling.  

Euro standards are not always the best for every climate, every location.  Look at all the barriers that the FIM made Barber put up.  
Super Dave