News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Bodywork question

Started by rennsportbodies, October 09, 2003, 10:28:16 AM

rennsportbodies

Everyone,

Rennsport Bodies is a new bodywork company that  specializes in R6 and Gsxr bodywork.  We want you (the racers) to tell us what you want out of your bodywork company.

Things like
Price (reasonable)
For a small extra price we could paint them.  Is this something that racers are interested in?
Flexibity?

Basically, we want to know everything that you want to tell us about how bodywork should be done.  Please feel free to email us at rennsportbodies@fuse.net or feel free to call and chat with us.  513-266-6397.

Thanks,

Rennsport Bodies

TreyBone

rennsportbodies

Does $475.00 sound reasonable?  $450.00 for racers and $600.00-$650.00  painted?  let us know

Thanks,

Rennsport

GRN_MACH

can you drop below 450 and include shipping and dzus?

rennsportbodies

"can you drop below 450 and include shipping and dzus?"

I don't think we could go quite that low.  dzus are pretty expensive, and shipping would be around $25.00-$40.00.  That takes price of the bodywork down into mid to high 300's.  Unless we chose to do a sponsorship deal with someone or a team, I just don't see us going that low.

Thanks,
Rennsport

crazycurrie

Yamaha/Suzuki ? ??? what about the Hondas :o

rennsportbodies

we have not made the molds yet.  Trust me I wish we chould!

Thanks

OmniGLH

QuoteDoes $475.00 sound reasonable?  $450.00 for racers and $600.00-$650.00  painted?  let us know

Thanks,

Rennsport

Well, I may be representing a minority group of the racers here - but while cheap is good, I consider quality almost more important.  

I personally have always run sharkskinz, but my teammate as well as some of my other racer friends have tried lesser brands that were in the price point you mentioned.  I can tell you that all of them are going back to sharkskinz.  Cheap stuff is great because it's cheap, but that's about it.  It also usually looks like sh*t, fits like sh*t, and disintigrates when you crash on it.  While I personally don't care how it looks, it has to fit right (I HATE fighting to get bodywork mounted) and the stuff has got to be durable.

Part of the point of having DURABLE bodywork is to protect the stuff behind it.  Grind down on the fiberglass a bit, and hopefully the bike stops sliding before it grinds through and starts munching the wiring harness behind it.  Cheap crap that explodes when it hits the ground instantly exposes all the little electronic pieces that most of our bikes have nowadays.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

rennsportbodies

Thanks for your much valued input.  We understand exactly where your coming from.  What we will try to do is give you the BEST product for the price your paying.  This is why we started this post.  We want to hear from racers, and give them what they want.  One thing that we are doing in the shop is fiting the bodywork to the R6's and Gixers to make sure that they are very easy to put on and not just pulling the first pieces out of the molds and selling them.  This ensures that they will have a great fit.  

Thanks,
Rennsport

lokisdog

I'm with OmniGLH, I don't mind spending a few extra bucks to get something that will last and not give me any headaches. It's much cheaper to pay an extra $100 up front for bodywork that will last instead of paying $500 for another set of cheap bodywork when you crashed the first set and it shattered into a million pieces.

Sharkskinz are a good thing to model after, mine have been abused a bit more than I'd like and are still doing well. It was easy to fit them to the bike, they are durable and it's also easy to get replacements quick if needed. Sure I'd like the price to be lower, but I'm not into being "pennywise and pound foolish". You make something as good as Sharkskinz that's readily available for a lower price (within reason, you still need to stay in business) and I'd buy it. I'm looking at Armour Bodies also.

Make sure that it's a complete kit, and provide choices regarding the seat/tail section. Some like to reuse the stock seat, others (like me) like a "superbike" style hard seat pan with a little foam pad.

Pre-drilled and installed dzus fasteners are nice, but only to the extent that they join the upper to the lower. Don't pre-drill the holes to mount the bodywork to the bike, most of us want a little leeway there, so I'll do that myself.

If you want to know who NOT to model yourself after try Air-Tech. Cheap and crappy.

Hope that helps, good luck.

- Eric Arnold
  #235 Pac Region

Litespeed

repairability should be on teh list too.  My sharkskins are a disaster from a lowside that really didn't do much damage except for the tail seems to have lost all of it's resin in certain areas.

smoke

Since this was my first year raceing I got the cheep stuu 600 bucks form armor bodies.  it fit like crap.  I did not care how it looked.  But it made it through three of my get offs.  Now the bodywork is crap.  the drill holes all expanded and pulled away from the frame mount bolts.