News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

what do you think....

Started by Chef, October 08, 2003, 09:15:50 PM

251am

As Chef mentioned the riders somehow being heard w/o confrontation, I remembered the GP guys informally set up a riders union after Katos death. Is that something that could be workable here? Also, the AMA inside info in RRW mentioned all year how badly the timing and scorekeeping was at the first 6 or 7 events. Practice and race crash situations were seldom acknowledged per Ron Barrick's.." not being made aware."  With Clear Channel Entertainment being the money behind CCS right now, is it possible that they're poised to take over?  

tigerblade

Quote   With Clear Channel Entertainment being the money behind CCS right now, is it possible that they're poised to take over?  

That would be a resounding "NO".  CCS can't even post race results within a month on their own website.  CCS is the Kevin Clar...ahem...I mean red-headed stepchild of Clear Channel.  
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Super Dave

QuoteWith Clear Channel Entertainment being the money behind CCS right now, is it possible that they're poised to take over?  

Doubt that.  

The AMA is the official FIM affiliate for the United States.  So, they do have a big card in their hand.  The manufacturers have a lot of control in the AMA too, so it makes sense for them to remain with the AMA because they can have rules made for them.

Super Dave

fourandsix

I think a lot of people don't understand the reality here. The AMA gets a sactioning fee from the track and or promoter. They are getting this fee to put on a race , sort of like a circus. If the privateers don't show up no one would care because the factory bikes would be there. Do you honestly beleive the fans watching care about anyone but the top few guys? Do you think they care about the guy that is in 25th place other than he gets in the fast guys way? In other sports non pros showcase their talent by playing in high school , college, or open tryouts.Thier families spend tons of many on private coaches and training facilities to get the kid experience, they do websites and go to scouting combines. In cycle racing just going to local events on worn out bikes on worn out tires is not going to help anyone get a factory ride.Plenty of the top racers in the past and today paid for thier "factory rides" to be able to showcase their talent. If they succeed there is a payout if they don't you can't even remeber thier names.

Super_KC124

QuoteI think a lot of people don't understand the reality here. The AMA gets a sactioning fee from the track and or promoter. They are getting this fee to put on a race , sort of like a circus. If the privateers don't show up no one would care because the factory bikes would be there. Do you honestly beleive the fans watching care about anyone but the top few guys? Do you think they care about the guy that is in 25th place other than he gets in the fast guys way? In other sports non pros showcase their talent by playing in high school , college, or open tryouts.Thier families spend tons of many on private coaches and training facilities to get the kid experience, they do websites and go to scouting combines. In cycle racing just going to local events on worn out bikes on worn out tires is not going to help anyone get a factory ride.Plenty of the top racers in the past and today paid for thier "factory rides" to be able to showcase their talent. If they succeed there is a payout if they don't you can't even remeber thier names.
The fans would most definetly care if only 6 or 7 guys showed up to race!

Super_KC124

QuoteThat would be a resounding "NO".  CCS can't even post race results within a month on their own website.  CCS is the Kevin Clar...ahem...I mean red-headed stepchild of Clear Channel.  
I hope you were trying to say Kevin Elli....!
Kris, I'm gonna have to kick your arse! ;D

Super Dave

QuoteThey are getting this fee to put on a race , sort of like a circus.

Exactly, then they, the track, decides how much money they can make, and how much money they should put into advertising.

As for a good race being six or seven riders...

That I don't agree with.  Admittedly, fans a predominately coming to see the riders that have the highest profile:  generally the factory riders.  I think a six rider race could still probably be a parade that is completely void of the sounds of motorcycle racing.  Could sound like individual time trials or something.

I would love to see someone that can't seem to wing a factory ride get a company to do some serious promotion, then see them get more press than the factories riders.  Would be good if they were big talkers that could just put down the factory teams and how the rules play into their hands, etc., etc.  Would need to be an older guy that doesn't have a chance of getting a ride, obviously, but is still able to run up front.  Barney maybe with a big attitude?  
Super Dave

tshort

Hey Dave - can you give me a call, or let me know where I can call you today, re Daytona?  thanks.

-T.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

tigerblade

QuoteI hope you were trying to say Kevin Elli....!
Kris, I'm gonna have to kick your arse! ;D

Bring it on YPS!   8)
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Super_KC124

Readthis.  \
http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/index.html
Look under; BREAKING NEWS
10/13/2003  Opinion: Time To End Misappropriation Of AMA Non-profit Assets by Dissolving AMA Pro Racing, Firing Everybody, And Starting Over

Woofentino Pugrossi

Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

fourandsix

Interesting article in rrw , it's nice to have a big soapbox when you are whining about the unfair treatment of your rider. The AMA isn't perfect but it is what it is.80% of the riders probably shouldn't be there anyway. If Rapp was so serious about superbike how come he only rode a couple of events. He isn't a privateer by any stretch of the imagination. Did it hurt Josh hayes , not one bit , he still won the 750 class.Did the rrw article mention all these guys that practice and take up grid spots but never start the race , guess what the grid spot stays empty and guys that would have qualified at the bottom drove a long way for nothing , yes those would be the privateers. Ask Keving hanson he can tell you how that happened to him.