News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Ike & Stu's Crash

Started by Jeff, September 09, 2003, 06:52:08 AM

GAMEDIC

QuoteHopefully she is legit in calling herself a business.  You know, license, federal tax id#, etc.etc.

She's just pissed that she's got some super spectacular pics and they got leaked.  She should have never shown them to anyone and just sent them off to be published.

Greed is a terrible thing.  
SHe is VERY Legit.. and yes her brother DOES work for VHS i was there when they were taken and they do belong to her and if you want to know and see why...go ready the WERA board this has been talked about for 7 pages now. If everyone would just chioll for a little bit they would get published and everyone could see them.....

Super_KC124

QuoteGreed is a terrible thing.  
How many pictures does a race photographer take before they catch a wreck like Ike's? I bet a coulpe thousand. Greed my a$$! :P

SliderPhoto

QuoteGreed is a terrible thing.  

Yeah right, don't spend the $100 all in one place Vicki. Sheesh, get a life.

r6_philly

and all her reasonings for not wanting the pics shown are not really making much sense.

She say she not want to profit from it. well not like we are going to pay $5 each to see those photos right?

second, she says it hurts her exposure. How about we distribute those photos with her name address and copyright included? Wouldn't that be more exposure that we all know she took it.

third. Such a pic does not really reflect her worksmanship or skill or talent, she just was incredibly lucky (and stu and ike incredibly unlucky) to have captured the wreck. Exposure for what?

and if I had taken teh pics, I would have give the film, every copy and whatever else I have to stu and ike and let them profit/expose/do whatever they wish with them. I would just ask them to tell people I took them. and pics would belong to them, no charge. if the pics can make some $$$, shouldn't it go to stu and ike so they can recover sooner?

I don't know what she is in for, but it just seems ... wrong.

oh well, I guess there are better photographers out there right? by all means.

she didn't even take the pics.

GAMEDIC

QuoteHow many pictures does a race photographer take before they catch a wreck like Ike's? I bet a coulpe thousand. Greed my a$$! :P
LOL..you are right about one thing...there is no greed there...but i work with Vicki alot and i can tell you between her and her brother they take about 10,000 pics a weekend....

arlingtonrider

It is kind of ironic that these are pix of a CCS crash.

Kind of like what you said r6_philly, Stu and Ike could stop the release/publishing of the photos easily.
Even though you sign away your image to CCS/WERA, you can still sue for negligence and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

No photographer in their right mind would risk that for a $500 rights deal with that looming.  Few publishers would either.

dylanfan53

QuoteYeah right, don't spend the $100 all in one place Vicki. Sheesh, get a life.

Hey Jack, I'm curious...
Can I post a pic I bought from you on my website?
A Yes or No will do.  I don't want to turn the discussion into into a seven page thread about copyright laws :)
Thanks!  
Don Cook
CCS #53

SliderPhoto

QuoteHey Jack, I'm curious...
Can I post a pic I bought from you on my website?
A Yes or No will do.  I don't want to turn the discussion into into a seven page thread about copyright laws :)
Thanks!  

LOL!  ;D

From my website:
QuoteEven though I retain the rights to the photo, you're still welcome to share the digital images you purchased with your family and friends. If you post them on a Web site, I would appreciate giving SliderPhoto.com credit for the photo.

Dang, guess I wont get 7 pages now.  ::) :P

Wow, I don't understand all the hostility towards Vicki. You guys think she's getting rich? That's funny. I still hear the echo from a few years ago... Such and such use to show up and take photos but he doesn't come round here anymore... I wonder why...

Photo_Chick

I said the same thing on the WERA board....

Ya know, this has really been an educational thread. I never threatened to sue anyone, I just asked that they be taken off the site because they are mine and were put up without my permission. What is the big deal? Yes I talked to Stu and Ike and they both wanted the pics in RRW. And yes Ike did come back to the track THAT DAY and saw the pics. And no one was even allowed to see the pics until we knew for sure that both guys were going to be ok. If the guys weren't ok, the pictures would never be shown. Ever. Most of the people on this board know me and know me well. Don't act like I've don't know what it cost to race or haven't spent a ton of money on race equipment. My husband has been riding and racing for at least five years. And I'm not talking just a couple races a year. He raced all the time. Two organizations. We spent wads of money on race stuff. That's how I started taking pics. That's how I met most of the racers I know now. Then I started taking AMA pics along with WERA and CCS and track days. I work hard and my prices are comparable if not lower than most. I don't believe in screwing the racer as I KNOW they don't have a lot of money. There have been many times when I've given pics to racers who I knew only had enough money for food. There are times when I've fed the racers or let them stay in my camper and fed them. There are times when I've helped pack up trailers. There are times when I've left a race to spend the time at the hospital with injured friends and family (husband and Brian Livengood are a couple). So don't think I'm in it for the money. If that was the case I would charge up the ying yang, which I don't. When you include travel time, gas, food, supplies, etc., it adds up. Not to mention the cost of my equipment. One of my lenses alone cost as much as your race bike. So don't say I'm in it for the money. As Mongo said, we barely break even. Why do we do it? I do it because I have a great time. I get to see all my friends and I get to take some great shots of them that I know they will like. I stand out in 103 degree heat all day long lugging my stuff up hills, down hills, stand in the rain, yada, yada, yada to try and get some shots you guys will like. I am no Brain Nelson and I'm no Ryan S. (they are the bombs and gods of photography) but I do my best to make you happy. I'm more than willing to give releases if asked, never had a problem with it and never will. Every time someone has asked they have gotten. I've also corner worked at several races making sure that everything is safe for you on the track. I've been a photographer, spectator, racers wife, racer's friend, etc. I've watched my friends get hurt and I've watched my friends die. I've been to funerals of my friends and I've cried. I've given all the pics I have to their families and friends just because I felt it was the right thing to do. I'm friends with all the other photographers....they are all awesome and none of us are trying to screw anyone. We do it because we enjoy it and we enjoy seeing your face when we have a really awesome shot. You get your kicks off of racing, I get it off of getting a great shot. You bitch about crash pics but whats the first question out of your mouth when you crash in front of me? "Did you get that?" When the rider doesn't get up, I stop taking pics. EVERYTIME you guys and gals get on the track I pray that everyone comes in safely. The ones that know me, truely know me, have come to my support. It's the ones that don't know me that question my ethics and morals. Come over to my trailer sometime and say hi and introduce yourself. You'll find that I'm not a bad person.....

Photo_Chick

And yeah, and I'm thinking of just walking away.  I can take pics of other things...I don't need to be attacked by people who don't know the circumstances or the laws....

Dawn

Enough on this subject.....

Topic has been locked.

Dawn

Dawn

Alright....

At the request of another, I have unlocked the topic.  Sorry if I offended anyone.  Seven pages on the WERA board...  Where does it end?

Personally I appreciate the job that the photographer's do, I wish I had more money to spend with them, but, we're racers so you know what that means.....  No wonder why Jack does all the track days instead.   :-/

Keep it nice, and keep it civil.  That's all I am asking.  Feel free to PM me if need be.

Thanks!

Dawn