News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Barber Amusement Park

Started by GSXR RACER MIKE, August 18, 2003, 02:33:45 PM

GSXR RACER MIKE

WOW! That paved roller coaster is the wildest thing I have ever ridden! This place by far is my favorite track.

I would describe the place as a combination of Gratten (track layout), Road America (scenic surroundings), and Daytona (sheer AWE). Take that combination and improve it 100% and you've got Barber.

The first few laps on this track and I was thinking how can anyone go really fast at this place? Almost every turn is either blind, climbing or falling away, or a decreasing radius turn. Faith in the corner workers is a must at this place! After a number of laps I watched a couple of the fast guys going thru the turns and realized that you can go alot faster than first impression.

I really liked the FM radio station convenience for tuning in the announcer (like RA and Daytona), wish all tracks had that. The Bathrooms / showers are very conveniently placed in the middle on the paddock. Viewing from the 3rd story obsevation deck is way cool, or from the 2nd story shaded area is good too.

The only negatives I would mention would be the patches already in place and the weather at this time of the year. I would really like to see this track on the GP/MW/GL schedule as a 1st or 2nd event of the season and/or maybe the weekend before the ROC - that way just drive directly to Daytona from there. ;D

Lastly, was there a crash in almost every race on Sunday or what? Seemed like alot of walk away low-sides were happening.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

james-redsv

I would like to say they need to add power hook-ups in the paddack, this is mandatory. I almost had a heat stroke on Sat because I couldnt plug in my freaking fan. ??? Give me some power Mr Barber and some speakers so we hear when our race is coming up and your place will be world class. :D Oh yea, open your own consession stand instead of hiring a sorry catering service.  ??? With these 3 things taken care of this place would be 100% compleate. 8)

Dawn

Quote         The only negatives I would mention would be the patches already in place and the weather at this time of the year. I would really like to see this track on the GP/MW/GL schedule as a 1st or 2nd event of the season and/or maybe the weekend before the ROC - that way just drive directly to Daytona from there. ;D

Please -  Not the MW (or probably GL as far as that goes).  I don't see how it could possibly be seen as part of our region.

Dawn   ;)

Steviebee

its only 8 hours for me.  
Closer than Mid America.
Proable closer than Topeka.

Chef

AAAAANNNNNNNNDDDDDDD...........

It's GOTTA be the Sweetest track in the COUNTRY!
or second/third, i vote it IN...... no offense Dawn..

oh yeah, STEVIEBEE got his 1st 1st!!!
 :D
IKE
40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

Dawn

Quoteits only 8 hours for me.  
Closer than Mid America.
Proable closer than Topeka.

Well Topeka (12.5 hours from Marion, WI) was really supposed to be at Road America (1.5 hours from Marion, WI).....

What region are you in Steve?

Dawn   ???

Dawn

QuoteAAAAANNNNNNNNDDDDDDD...........

It's GOTTA be the Sweetest track in the COUNTRY!
or second/third, i vote it IN...... no offense Dawn..

oh yeah, STEVIEBEE got his 1st 1st!!!
 :D
IKE

No offense Ike....

Just been travelling too much.  I know the high that comes from racing, but the $$$ and time it takes to go to those distant  tracks - Well its been a bit of a downer (Paul's only got two days of vacation left and unpaid leave is not acceptable at his employer).

Dawn    :-/

PS  Congratulations Steve on your 1st Place.  (Now was that before or after K3 borrowed your bike  ;) ;D)

Steviebee

Indianapolis IN,   CCS liscense says GL region.

A 1st .. WEEEEE Im still in shock.
I tried to represent the mid-west guys !!

ecumike

Yea, Barber was definitely awesome.

As Mike said.. After the first practice session, I also quickly found out that you can take the turns faster than you think.

I loved all the chicanes and twisties, you could really rail through them, especially if you cut over the gator like in the 'roller coaster'. For the 125's and 250's, this place is an absolute blast.

It's not as technical as you think, especially since it's so wide, you have plenty of room and choice of lines to take.

Steviebee

OMG first practice session.

Listen to this.

Friday morning,  First session, first lap, Turn 5 (tight 1 gear hairpin) .  Just as i turn in i hear tire screech, and some yahoo comes flying past me about 90mph with both tires locked up, straight across the turn straight into the gravel trap.  Misses me by about 2 inches !

Nate R

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Super Dave

QuoteI would like to say they need to add power hook-ups in the paddack, this is mandatory. I almost had a heat stroke on Sat because I couldnt plug in my freaking fan. ??? Give me some power Mr Barber and some speakers so we hear when our race is coming up and your place will be world class. :D Oh yea, open your own consession stand instead of hiring a sorry catering service.  ??? With these 3 things taken care of this place would be 100% compleate. 8)

Now, now, now...  I've met Mr Barber on numerous occasions.  Bring a generator.  He put up millions and millions of his own dollars on this.  Least you can to is be prepared yourself.

Stevebee....Nice job.  I told you that you rode well!

Too wide to be technical?  Go faster.  What are you guys turning for times?
Super Dave