News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

MY view of this sport

Started by smoke, August 12, 2003, 05:20:22 PM

smoke

I am new to the sport  and like all of u LOVE it.  There is so much to learn and take in at one time but I seem to be doing it ok.  The bike came home in one peice after my first race weekend. I look forward to Sept 5-7 at the point.

I corner worked at the summit for the WERA  Nationals and I just watched the lines and was just in ahhhhh of the Versah racers they were so dam smooth.  I have so much to learn!!!!!!!!!!  My lap times did drop over my first  weekend but I still have a ways to go to get to were I want to be.  Dam this sport is so expensive.  I spent a rack to get my gear and bike ready. The first year is expesive like u all said.  and what did I do today put a damm deposit on the 04 gix 600.  Am I nuts or what, just to race and re prep a bike.  I got the fever like the rest of u.  I just want to be faster and take my time at it.  Sorry for the rant but I'm a newbeee. ( Thanks to all on this board I read it every day and learn something new please keep it comming!) So if any of u guys want to train a rookie hit me up. I want to win a one race just one race next year.

EX#996

Paul's first year of racing the whole goal was not to finish last.  Paul accomplished that goal.

Paul's second year of racing was to improve upon the first and he got a few chunks of wood.   :)

Paul's third year of racing (and second year on the same bike) he is leading the points in his region for LWSS and LWSB.   :D

Give it time, take a school, listen to your mentors...

...  and the most important....  Have fun!

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

MELK-MAN

i found as you have the 1st year is very expensive. race preping  a bike, extra wheels, trailer, generator, you name it you need it. Many track days and 6 ccs races later im still having fun!
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

lfg929

One thing to consider seeing as how it is your first year in racing would be to not purchase a brand new bike. Instead, try to hit up any local motorcycle salvage yards. You might be able to find a fairly new bike with low miles and little damage outside of cosmetics. That may help save you some cash.  I have a friend who picked up an '02 CBR 600 F4i with only 700 miles on the motor for $3800 last year. The bike still had the 30 day tags on it. It had some light scratches on the tank, frame, and swingarm (hence why it was totalled), but other than that the rest of the damage was to stuff that you would replace for racing anyway (bodywork, rearsets, clipons, etc).

This is my first year of racing as well. It is expensive to get started but it sure is fun! Like others my goal this year is to learn more, get faster, try not to crash for a dumb reason, and to not be the last guy across the line. So far I am meeting most of my goals. I crashed for a dumb reason though, I was going to fast on DOT race tires in wet weather on the first lap at a track day and high-sided. Other than that I have gotten much faster, learned a whole lot, and have gotten wood in the 4 races I have entered so far. The only person that can complain so far is my wife for worrying her to death.  ;)

Nate R

Not to be O/T, but nice crash photos in RRW, Greg!  :o
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

r6_philly

you think only the first year is expensive? try destoying the frame, motor, forks, subframe, swing arm, front end, rotors, bodywork and oh, the tank in one race  :o

Wait that is the entire bike!!! Plus the helmet. Hey my clip-ons are still good!!!!!  :D

And then get $35 back per race even though all of them were more than $35 each (for the races that I didnt get to race).

GAMEDIC

next time call me..i'll help you on the parts end ;D

r6_philly

actually I get everything at cost. But its the money I am having problem with.

Well I guess I get most at cost too hahahahah

Thanks for the offer

tigerblade

QuoteNot to be O/T, but nice crash photos in RRW, Greg!  :o

I noticed those too!  Yikes!   :o  ;D
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

smoke

Quoteyou think only the first year is expensive? try destoying the frame, motor, forks, subframe, swing arm, front end, rotors, bodywork and oh, the tank in one race  :o

Wait that is the entire bike!!! Plus the helmet. Hey my clip-ons are still good!!!!!  :D

And then get $35 back per race even though all of them were more than $35 each (for the races that I didnt get to race).

Thats right!!!!!!!! I saw your bike   :o have u gotten a new one yet and will u make it down for the sept 5-7 weekend.

smoke

The not finish last goal is still there but I did finish last in my last race but I was faster.  So was every one else.  That was the race hector droped a 1:18 on.  

Super Dave

My take?

Too much emphasis on parts...

A bike that is a few years old is fine.  Suspension is key, and the new aftermarket pipe is just about a waste of money for most.  

Lots of extra wheels and spare parts, and everyone wants to do track days where they do the same things over and over again and again.  

Companies that pull young riders into purchasing products that really are not necessary for racing, and the owners of those establishments don't have a whole lot of real world racing experience themselves.

Riders are too conservative and just ride things the way they are.  After a couple of years, the new riders are all gone and a new group comes in.  More guys for some of the aftermarket vendors to get some cash flow from again.

Manufacturers, and the regular mainstream press, hype the new models to the moon when in reality they are only a little better than the previous models.

Experienced riders are in short demand because of an industry that places no real value in racing.  Dealers cannot be involved in racing...no knowledge, etc.

New motivated riders seem to find cash sponsors, but have neither the experience or ability to bring about results with the cash infusion...back to the experience problem.

A professional racing organization that is run by the manufacturers, and the rules a built to ensure the maunfacturer's teams existence.

A sport that has seen an amount of decline because more riders are interested in just the "track experience" rather than the rigors of competition.
Super Dave