News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

MY view of this sport

Started by smoke, August 12, 2003, 05:20:22 PM

r6_philly

wow you seem to be very experienced in such things  ;) I guess it would take years to form such an insight.

I know what you are saying, although I am a exception to the rule. I am committed to stay in the sport, and not expect any payout, or gain from it except the satisfaction of my personal goals. I don't have an illusion to make a career out of racing. I enjoy competition and think it is fun and rewarding, and I don't mind paying to get there.

So  there, more people like me and the sport will see a healthy growth  :P

r6_philly

QuoteThats right!!!!!!!! I saw your bike   :o have u gotten a new one yet and will u make it down for the sept 5-7 weekend.

Who didn't  :D I left it at tech cuz I didn't feel like seeing it and dealing with it. Too busy drinking hahaha

I am going to rebuild the bike. I am actually getting all new parts. Getting the motor fixed, and everything else is going to be new. I could have gotten a new bike I guess. But that motor, boy I am trying to save that motor for daytona. I may be on my B bike for summit, but I will have the A bike back for Daytona.

I see you have discovered the problem of when I go faster, everyone else go faster problem  ;D Well my buddy got wood for the first time that weekend (thanks for me not racing) so I was happy for him. My arm is healed a lot more, and I think I am back in shape to turn 19's if I have my A bike. We will see.

Super Dave

QuoteSo  there, more people like me and the sport will see a healthy growth  :P

You're kind of missing the point...

It's great that you're dedicated, but being a long term player only comes from...well, doing it for a long time.

Regardless, industry support is poor.  Look at all the H-D dealerships that still honestly put in a great deal of support in to the Buell riders for FUSA.  Honestly, the things blow a whole lot and take a great deal of parts and knowledge support.  

On the flip side, look how many local dealers on the other side don't even know anything about local races, track days, etc.  It's really too bad.  It hurts the sport of road racing.  Maybe that's why "stunting" has become so popular in its own right...it can be done just about anywhere without the need for organization, etc.

Not to mention that when they do organize and do something, you're "rated"...not a competition where position and time matter...a real race.
Super Dave

r6_philly

well I have the commitment.

I have to say through working in the industry for the last 2-3 years, and then racing as well, I don't see this sport grow by leaps and bounds any time soon. The industry lacks vision and leadership. Everyone is just interested in maintaining the status quo, and the little bit of business that they have, the industry as a whole is not really trying to grow.

Yes, stunting is very popular and getting more by the day. It is not only that it can be done anywhere, it can also be seen anywhere, anytime, anywhere. Its free publicity and the world is their stage. So more people are going to see the thrill and follow suit. Its like we all want roadracing to be on TV more, well extreme riding don't have to. Anyone can see it on the street.

But, to the original point. just because I haven't done it for a long time, doesn't mean I won't. It also doesn't mean I am not deeply involved in this riding on the track and racing business. I may be a computer geek but I am more involved than you might think. and yes I will be doing it for the next quarter centry if I get to live that long... you will see and hear about me more, soon... ;)

Super Dave

Quotewell I have the commitment.

But, to the original point. just because I haven't done it for a long time, doesn't mean I won't. It also doesn't mean I am not deeply involved in this riding on the track and racing business. I may be a computer geek but I am more involved than you might think. and yes I will be doing it for the next quarter centry if I get to live that long... you will see and hear about me more, soon... ;)

I like the commitment part...

But you're talking like some riders I hear about..."They have so much potential!"

Potential is a rock at the top of a hill.  Push it down, and it can do something.  Racing is about pushing the rock up the hill.  Sometimes doing your best isn't good enough;  riders come and riders go.  Average life of a racer is about 2 to 2 and 1/2 years.  Pretty bad odds.  

I hope it all works well and keep your commitment.  It doesn't get easier.  Riders do decent as an amateur and go expert and realize that it's a whole new game.  They go to a pro race and realize it's a whole new game.  

Not sure why you want to disagree with me so much.  I could have disagreed with the people that helped me.  They had experiences that I didn't need to experience because they had already done it;  why would I need to try to find out for myself?  But that's fine.  You've got to learn your own stuff.

Back to extreme riding...

It's terrible for the whole sport of motorcycling.  It isn't safe:  guys on street bikes stunting in traffic, on the interstate, etc.  Videos, etc.  Sport bikes have a bad enough name because of their speeds...this ain't helping.
Super Dave

r6_philly

actually I am not wide eyes and thinking that things will be easier and as long as I work hard, results will come.

Racing, and be sucessful at racing, even at the Amateur level, has so far, been the hardest thing I ever choose to achieve in my live. I will be 30 soon, and everything else I picked up has been a lot alot easier than racing has been. But then that is the reward. I treasure the path, the try, the pursue of the elusive success in racing. And everyday I try, I am happy about it.

I don't know how much potential I have in riding. I know I am pretty fast, and I know I am not a natural talent like some. I approach riding like I approach everything else: look at what I am doing, make an accurate assessment, make a determination and try to improve. I don't just go out and ride fast, it doesn't happen for me that way.

I will not have a short lifespan as a racer. Because I truly enjoy racing, enjoy trying to get better at racing. I will not get discouraged if I don't win, and I don't improve as fast as some would want to. Because its about me and what I enjoy, not what I can achieve. I am a little over the age of picking what to do in life as a career. I have my career, what I choose to do for a living, and I am pretty darn good at it. So this is for me to enjoy.

So I will continue to race, and I am fairly sure through hardword I can be a player for a while. And I will enjoy everything second of it, winning or loosing, or trying to keep up with the front running experts.

I am not really trying to disagree with you. But I seem to pick up more knowledge through debates and talking to others. I am strongly opionated, but I also listen very well.

I look forward to meeting you, maybe you can help me some more, I want to be a good racer, at any level. More importantly, I want to do it for the right reasons.

Super_KC124

QuotePaul's first year of racing the whole goal was not to finish last.  Paul accomplished that goal.

Paul's second year of racing was to improve upon the first and he got a few chunks of wood.   :)

Paul's third year of racing (and second year on the same bike) he is leading the points in his region for LWSS and LWSB.   :D

Give it time, take a school, listen to your mentors...

...  and the most important....  Have fun!

Dawn   :)

3rd year? Who's the sandbagger now? ;D

Super Dave

QuoteRacing....has so far, been the hardest thing I ever choose to achieve in my live.

I don't know how much potential I have in riding.

I look forward to meeting you, maybe you can help me some more, I want to be a good racer, at any level. More importantly, I want to do it for the right reasons.

I think that, generally, motorcycle road racing is one of the most frustrating/rewarding things most people ever do.

Potential again?  We ain't rocks at the top of the hill...LOL.

Look forward to running into you too...

As for helping, well, that's a fine line.  I have to reserve that to my guys that pay for my services.  I've spent a couple of houses of money on my racing career and even more of my time on the road.  The knowledge wasn't cheap, but I've got it.  I can share, but it has to be to my select few people that take the plunge to pay to come to my schools.

Make sense?
Super Dave

EX#996

Quote3rd year? Who's the sandbagger now? ;D

You....

Amatuer Formula Forty Champion!

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

r6_philly

QuoteI think that, generally, motorcycle road racing is one of the most frustrating/rewarding things most people ever do.

Potential again?  We ain't rocks at the top of the hill...LOL.

Look forward to running into you too...

As for helping, well, that's a fine line.  I have to reserve that to my guys that pay for my services.  I've spent a couple of houses of money on my racing career and even more of my time on the road.  The knowledge wasn't cheap, but I've got it.  I can share, but it has to be to my select few people that take the plunge to pay to come to my schools.

Make sense?

hey Dave, you mis-understood me again. Your knowledge was obtained through many of your experiences and are certainly some of the most valuable things out there. I am very clear of what I would get from you, and how valuable it is. So I would not expect you to just give away your knowledge without any returns. Unless, of course you like me, what I have in me, and decide to help me.

I was actually thinking/talking about coming to one of your school days and get something from it. But of course I am looking for your insights and something more personal than just a school and the general curricular, if you know what I mean. If you feel like it, I am definitely intereted in the opportunity.

Super Dave

QuoteSo I would not expect you to just give away your knowledge without any returns. Unless, of course you like me, what I have in me, and decide to help me.

I was actually thinking/talking about coming to one of your school days and get something from it. But of course I am looking for your insights and something more personal than just a school and the general curricular, if you know what I mean. If you feel like it, I am definitely intereted in the opportunity.

I seldom give any free advice.  I have done it, but usually the people that get free stuff are too stubborn to use it.  Their loss...(boy, do I have stories.)

As for my school day, next year will be different.  Will probably to more one on one days since they are better for a rider, or smaller groups.  I doubt that I will have a racing school program like I have had in previous years...It takes too many people to get the volume up to rent the track, and then things get spread a bit thin.

The other side is that I'll be beating the bushes for something.  Not sure what yet, I'm looking for something to do, but I need to see what I can come up with first.
Super Dave

MELK-MAN

QuoteNot to be O/T, but nice crash photos in RRW, Greg!  :o

like those did ya!!! :D
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice