News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Not legal for Supersport class!

Started by Eddie#200, July 07, 2003, 09:35:31 AM

Eddie#200

This weekend...

I was told that lighter wheels don't make a diffrence.  

Sorry but I know better!

http://www.revlimiterracing.com/wheels/marchesiniwheels/marchesiniwheels.html

Jeff

Yes, they make a difference.  

Personally I'd call them a waste of money (for MY racing purposes).

If money were no object, or I were provided a sample, I'd gladly run them...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Thingy

Of course they make a difference.  But, I would agree if Jeff on this one.  They would not make enough of a difference to justify the cost for me.

However, if I were to get lighter wheels, I would get 16.5"s.  The smaller diameter gives great benefits with regards to grip.  Of course, then you can't run Supersport, you have to talk Andy or Tom into bringing 16.5" tires, etc. :-/
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

K3 Chris Onwiler

So, Eddie?  The important issue here is... was there a protest, and was it upheld?
I don't have my rulebook, but I'm pretty sure that the lightweight aftermarket wheels are illegal for supersport, and thus, F40.  I actually noticed that myself last time at the rain race, but he crashed out that weekend, and I had forgotten about it.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

EX#996

Chris,

The decision did not go Eddie's way...    :'(

Dawn  
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Eddie#200

QuoteChris,

The decision did not go Eddie's way...    :'(

Dawn  

It will at Blackhawk!   ;D  I think the rest of us should be flattered because someone needs to do that.  ;D

MELK-MAN

like others said, yes they do but i dont have the cash in boxes to justify getting them. Yes, as far as i can tell the are ILLegal for supersport.
Lighter wheels make the bike easier to flick back and forth as you are not just reducing the overall weihgt of the bike. Much more importantly, your reducing the rotating MASS of the wheel, hence easier to flick back & forth. I had the joy of riding a friends ZX1200 with marchenseni wheels. over 4lb lighter per.. you really could tell a difference.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Jeff

bingo... the less rotating mass, the quicker the bike will accellerate AND stop...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

K3 Chris Onwiler

I'm confused.  If the wheels were illegal, and they were on the bike, why didn't Eddie win the protest?  Was it not filed in time?
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

Eddie#200

QuoteI'm confused.  If the wheels were illegal, and they were on the bike, why didn't Eddie win the protest?  Was it not filed in time?

It was filed in time...  The staff didn't know how to identify the wheels.  I have stats and data from the Mfg company that shows how to ID them.  I'm bringing it to Blackhawk for the next round.  If he want's to run them again, I'll be waiting!  It's not fair for all of us that were in the race. :(

K3 Chris Onwiler

Didn't they say MARCHISINI on them?  I would think that in that case, they would at least take photos and hold the race under protest.  No tech inspector could be expected to know the origin of every nut, bolt and widget, but I would think that in a case like this they would try for some documentation.
If your boy throws his stock wheels back on, now you look like the idiot.  Not fair.

Super Dave

The bike in question did actually come produced from the factory with those wheels.  

Will they make a difference?  We'll probably a little.  The effort to ride at a vicious pace would be easier.  It would make life easier at a track where there were a whole lot of left right left right turns.  MAM sweeps a bit.  

Eddie, this is a hard one.  I can kind of lean both ways on the issue.  

I don't think the wheels allowed him an advantage.  He used to race 250's back in the late '70's and early '80's.  He came to my school about two years ago with some intention of possibly racing.  So, to ease things for him, as he just rides plain smooth, we got him licensed as an expert his first race out to keep him safe.

Spirit of the rules?  I think there is some fudge room here, but those wheels did come stock on that particular bike.  Not many of them were made.
Super Dave