News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Not legal for Supersport class!

Started by Eddie#200, July 07, 2003, 09:35:31 AM

clutch

Simple...a cycle is power to weight ratio.  Less weight the faster and more power.  Would I buy them..at this point no.  Look at all your Pro-riders and their profiles..they are all like 150-180lbs

Eddie#200

QuoteThe bike in question did actually come produced from the factory with those wheels.  

Will they make a difference?  We'll probably a little.  The effort to ride at a vicious pace would be easier.  It would make life easier at a track where there were a whole lot of left right left right turns.  MAM sweeps a bit.  

Eddie, this is a hard one.  I can kind of lean both ways on the issue.  

Spirit of the rules?  I think there is some fudge room here, but those wheels did come stock on that particular bike.  Not many of them were made.

Dave,   The Mag wheels are not stock for the "S" model.  That bike was only produced with heavier Aluminum Marchenisi wheels.  The mags come on the SPS model.  I spoke to many folks about it after I got home.  Not only a dealer but the factory rep.
As you know...  Any advantage that is not legal for the class is helpful.  No matter how good a rider is.  I ask why he spent the $$ on them?  

It's all water over the dam now, but come next round at Blackhawk...

Super Dave

Are you answering your own question...

Is it an SPS model?  Chris does this for fun.  That's his dad's bike.  It's a little easier to ride because of the cool master cylinder on it and all.  

As for an advantage, "Any advantage that is not legal for the class is helpful.  No matter how good a rider is..." that's BS.  Denning hardly goes faster on his R1 when compared to his R6.  That's 30HP.  THAT's an advantage.  Wheels aren't going to make up an acceleration or handling change that will make any "real" difference.  Take up the issue with Chris.  I'm sure he'll listen.  He has his bike and his dad's.  If he understands what the issue is, he'll ride the appropriate bike.  He's not buried in the rule book, he's doing this for fun.

And isn't that why we do this?
Super Dave

Eddie#200

QuoteAre you answering your own question...

Is it an SPS model?  Chris does this for fun.  That's his dad's bike.  It's a little easier to ride because of the cool master cylinder on it and all.  

As for an advantage, "Any advantage that is not legal for the class is helpful.  No matter how good a rider is..." that's BS.  Denning hardly goes faster on his R1 when compared to his R6.  That's 30HP.  THAT's an advantage.  Wheels aren't going to make up an acceleration or handling change that will make any "real" difference.  Take up the issue with Chris.  I'm sure he'll listen.  He has his bike and his dad's.  If he understands what the issue is, he'll ride the appropriate bike.  He's not buried in the rule book, he's doing this for fun.

And isn't that why we do this?

His bike is NOT an SPS.

Fun is definitely part of the reason I do this.  I still think Chris running illegal equipment on the bike should DQ him.  That's why there are rules for each class.  Other wise it would all be one class UnlimitedGP.  Heck Calvin ran slicks... would you say that's also a reason to be DQed?  I'm just saying that if I need to adhere to the rules, so does everyone else.

Rrider

Eddie, are you sure the wheels were magnesium? The Aluminum 5 spoke wheels that came on the 996S look similar. Do you have any pics?

WebCrush

Well, I feel wheels would make a difference.

How about this scenario--I got DQ'd from MWSB cuz the frame on my Gixxer came from a 750.  Did it give me any advantage?  No, its heavier and longer.

Can I prove it didn't help--sure--I WAS IN LAST PLACE!!

Now tell me that wasn't a ludicrous scenario

sdiver68

QuoteEddie, are you sure the wheels were magnesium? The Aluminum 5 spoke wheels that came on the 996S look similar. Do you have any pics?

ditto that.
MCRA Race School Instructor

Eddie#200

Quoteditto that.

There is a diffrence.  His stock ones had the rains mounted.  There is a ridge on the Mags and no ridge on the Alu.  It was shown to me by parts counter guy yesterday.  They do look very similar.  It's why he was able to get away with it till now.   :P

Thingy

Gee, I did not realize what this post was really about when I originally replied.  Eddie, I feel bad for saying this, but...

Illegal wheels probably would make the bike fractionally easier to ride.  But, even with stock wheels I think that Chris would have beaten you anyway.  Also, it is his home track... :-/
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

Eddie#200

QuoteGee, I did not realize what this post was really about when I originally replied.  Eddie, I feel bad for saying this, but...

Illegal wheels probably would make the bike fractionally easier to ride.  But, even with stock wheels I think that Chris would have beaten you anyway.  Also, it is his home track... :-/

I'm not saying he's not a good rider.  I'm saying rules are rules.

Thingy

You are right.  They are the rules.  

The really unfortunate part is that a LARGE percentage of all racers don't have legal bikes.  But, I don't want to touch that subject.
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

OmniGLH

QuoteWell, I feel wheels would make a difference.

How about this scenario--I got DQ'd from MWSB cuz the frame on my Gixxer came from a 750.  Did it give me any advantage?  No, its heavier and longer.

Can I prove it didn't help--sure--I WAS IN LAST PLACE!!

Now tell me that wasn't a ludicrous scenario

No kidding?  That DOES suck...

As for the rest of the topic... sure, rules are rules, if you want to protest over something as small as wheels, it's your right to do so.  But keep in mind, it could invoke some sort of protest war, he may come back at you when it's least convenient...

The only time I intend to protest is if something is blatantly wrong (i.e. 750 running in MW class, etc.)
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak