News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

THE F4 IS GOIN UNDER THE KNIFE...

Started by MELK-MAN, June 20, 2003, 03:46:43 PM

MELK-MAN

turns out it was not something simple like a slipping clutch or a bent shifter fork.. the tranny is ratcheting in & out of gear and the gears need undercut. Chad Wolfe at Kinetic motorsports is sending the motor out to a reputable shop in Clearwater that does lots and lots of trannys. I was mistaken in believing that downshifting without the clutch was not harmful. Gonna change that form now on. Never used the clutch going up but occasionaly to get more leverage on the bars would downshift without the clutch.. 4-5 weeks he tells me..  :(  Hoping to have a bike to race at moroso..

Has anyone experienced this?? im new to racing but im hearing from some of my friends that have been around racing awhile that you can expect to undercut or have tranny work each season or so??

Edit.. Dr. Jeff informs me i can ride the 636 if needed!! yipii.. ;D
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

MightyDuc Racing

I use the clutch to downshift simply because of the chance of that happening.  As far as tranny's being redone each season...thanks to a blown motor, I now have a spare tranny...lol.  Turns out that the transmission in that motor wasn't completely destroyed and now I have a spare just in case. ;)  Sorry to hear about yours, but I'm sure they'll get it ready in time for Moroso (although I bet you're hoping they don't.) ;D
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

MELK-MAN

QuoteI use the clutch to downshift simply because of the chance of that happening.  As far as tranny's being redone each season...thanks to a blown motor, I now have a spare tranny...lol.  Turns out that the transmission in that motor wasn't completely destroyed and now I have a spare just in case. ;)  Sorry to hear about yours, but I'm sure they'll get it ready in time for Moroso (although I bet you're hoping they don't.) ;D

Would be nice to race the 636 but honestly right now the f4 is an easier bike to ride..The motor in the 636 is friggin powerfull but thus far untill we get the suspension sorted on the 636 i would rather ride the f4...

Bsmedic

Greg,

come on now..... who ya kidding? You're going to do good weather you ride the 636F4 or the stock 636.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MELK-MAN

QuoteGreg,

come on now..... who ya kidding? You're going to do good weather you ride the 636F4 or the stock 636.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats a freebee Brian, had that commin I guess... ;D

Cant justify the $800 or so to "undercut"/rebuild new so going to go with a used tranny for about $200. New bike next year i guess..

MightyDuc Racing

Come talk to me before you sell the one you have now. ;)
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

ninelives59

PAY THE MONEY AND HAVE THE BOX UNDERCUT AND YOU WONT HAVE A PROBLEM AGAIN.I BUILT THE BOX ON MY GSXR TWO SEASONS AGO AND NEVER HAD A FAILURE AGAIN.
CCS FLORIDA  #6
9LIVESRACING
PIRELLI TIRES
WWR DESIGNS
EXTREME PHOTO'S

Super Dave

Why so many trans problems?  

Were your bikes all street bikes that came to the track?  The only problems I've had were on my F2.  Guess that was the last new Honda I raced.  The two older Honda's I raced (CR750 and CB400F) had trans problems, but they were old and some of the trans problems were related to some other things.  The F2 trans just seemed to be weak.  Maybe Honda hasn't changed much.

Now, is undercutting the trans legal for Supersport?
Super Dave

ninelives59

undercutting is supersport legal in both ama and ccs
CCS FLORIDA  #6
9LIVESRACING
PIRELLI TIRES
WWR DESIGNS
EXTREME PHOTO'S

Jeff

If I read the rules correctly, undercutting is NOT legal in SS for CCS...

Greg, I've got 2 F4 trannys.  ONe with a bad 2nd gear, and one that's fine up and down.

Dave, it's the same ole story with honda's straight cut gears.  The damned things round too easily...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

I read the rules too, but I felt there was some room.  You have to use the OEM gears...doesn't say you can't modify them.  If it doesn't specifically say you can't do it in CCS, you can probably do it.
Super Dave

ninelives59

the rules say U have to use stock gears but undercutting is legal there is no performance gain. 8)  
CCS FLORIDA  #6
9LIVESRACING
PIRELLI TIRES
WWR DESIGNS
EXTREME PHOTO'S