News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Amateurs at Blackhawk Farms

Started by TZDeSioux, June 05, 2002, 01:00:41 PM

Mike

opps - I mean I was TURNING 24s

Mike Wemmer

Hey, Mike I'm sorry about bumping you. Were you the guy I was passing on the outside in turn 4. I wanted 3rd place so bad I made a very aggressive move to keep that position. I't didn't work.        Mike Wemmer

dave333

QuoteHey, Mike I'm sorry about bumping you. I wanted 3rd place so bad I made a very aggressive move to keep that position. I't didn't work.        Mike Wemmer

You make a point I have a question about.  I was in a race a couple of weeks back at Gateway and had a line inside someone someone just before going onto the banking.  I could have given it just a little more gas and edged the rider out wide (towards that nice concrete wall) but backed off instead.  IMHO, there is no club race that is important enough to pull a risky move that can put yourself or a fellow racer out.   I understand the "heat of the moment" adrenalin, but do we need to back off and wait for a safer pass or go for broke?

Dave Watson
CCS AM #357

Super Dave

Generally, I like to play nice, unless someone changes the game.  One might nudge a bit in a big money race, even at a club event at the expert level.  But it isn't anything that should be knocking someone off.  

I don't do it, in general.  But prior years of AMA Supersport racing does kind of teach you how to do it.
Super Dave

dave333

QuoteGenerally, I like to play nice, unless someone changes the game.  One might nudge a bit in a big money race, even at a club event at the expert level.  But it isn't anything that should be knocking someone off.  

I don't do it, in general.  But prior years of AMA Supersport racing does kind of teach you how to do it.

I believe the example was amateur level club racing.  What is "big money"?  Is $1000 enough for someone to run a rider off the track?  Is that the unspoken code of conduct and unprinted rule book I'm following in those races?  Is that the way it is whenever I'm in a race?  I sure want to know what I'm doing before I write a check my body can't cash...

BTW, FWIW, I know Mike Wemmer from NESBA and I don't see him participating in intentional, questionable and hazardous practices.  He is a standup racer IMHO...

Mike

Hey, Mike I'm sorry about bumping you. Were you the guy I was passing on the outside in turn 4. I wanted 3rd place so bad I made a very aggressive move to keep that position. I't didn't work.   Mike Wemmer
---

Not a problem, racing is racing :) I'd be fighting for 3rd if I could too. Unfortunatly it was more like 10th or 11th for me...Mike CCS Am#104

Super Dave

>Is $1000 enough for someone to run a rider off the track?  Is that the unspoken code of conduct and unprinted rule book I'm following in those races? <

That implies that someone runs someone off the track.  Seldom does that happen unless the rider is unable to confidently control the bike.

But if riders feel that it is necessary to go fast enough that the bike moves around on the track, touching is not uncommon.  It is not intentional, but it does happen.

Bone headed moves occur, for that matter.  

If Jimmy Joe is coming out of a corner so slow that Billy Bob can make it around the outside no problem, but anal ol' Jimmy Joe doesn't like that.  So, he picks the bike up to keep Billy Bob behind or punt him off.  That's not acceptable.
Super Dave

dave333

Man, this is getting pretty complicated.   ::)  I guess I'll just have to ride like I do on the street, like everyone is out to get me! ;D ;D ;D

Mike Wemmer

Dave 333, I don't have a problem with crashing and getting hurt. That is the reason I pass people on the outside. If I crash while passing someone on the outside I won't take them out, just myself. If I do pass on the inside line I make sure I have time, room, and I'm not going to take the guy I'm passing out if I go down.              If anyone wants to talk or yell at me personaly I'll be at Road America this week/weekend.    See yall at R.A.    Mike Wemmer

r1owner

What is the big deal about someone passing on the outside?

Dawn

There is no big deal about passing someone on the outside.  I think what Mike Wemmer was trying to say is that is how he does it - passing on the outside whenever possible so if he lowsides, he doesn't take anyone else out.

Dawn   :)

r1owner

QuoteThere is no big deal about passing someone on the outside.  I think what Mike Wemmer was trying to say is that is how he does it - passing on the outside whenever possible so if he lowsides, he doesn't take anyone else out.

Dawn   :)
I agree.  It seems like some people don't think its right.