Perfect Track/Race Bike

Started by KeelerDucati03, June 11, 2003, 01:09:09 PM

KeelerDucati03

Your opinion based on inital cost, reliability, maintenance and replacement parts... Also factor in handling and responsiveness as it relates to its peers and competitive class...

sdiver68

MCRA Race School Instructor

TZDeSioux

This is too easy. A TZ250 of course!  :)

KeelerDucati03

why?
I have noticed there's 2 distinct camps on this question - why I asked it and why SV isnt listed...
Camp 1 - SV all the way
Camp 2 - forget SV and than they rattle off a myriad of other bikes for even more reasons...
So before I lose my mind what about a 70 hp V twin has all you guys torked up over it? Is it because you can swap out of classes with it? Performance? what exactly?

Nate R

SV:

Handles well, responds well to mods, reliable, cheap to aquire and maintain, competitive in its' classes, easy to find spares, easy to ride fast, easier on tires than a 600, or bigger bike, easy to work on, (relatively) and it's FUN to ride!    Does that answer your question? SV Racers, did I miss anything?
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

KeelerDucati03

yes - thanks Nate
all I ever get is "SV" and thats it

sdiver68

Nate hit it on the head!

You asked my opinion based on your variables...and based on those its almost assuredly head of its class.  The nature of a poll is short answers, so I gave mine.

The only...but...I might add would be you won't be competitve in as many money races.  If you think you might be competitive in the money races like ULGP, GTU, GTO  than a GSXR600 may be the way to go, based on your variables.  Of course, these classes tend to have grids packed some with nicky Hayden wannabes, so this can be a plus or a minus depending on what you want out of racing.
MCRA Race School Instructor

KeelerDucati03

thanks sdiver...
I wasnt directly referring to your response - its typical of anyone who already races SV that its all they say "SV" without the "why's"...

Dawn

QuoteThe only...but...I might add would be you won't be competitve in as many money races.  If you think you might be competitive in the money races like ULGP, GTU, GTO  than a GSXR600 may be the way to go, based on your variables.  Of course, these classes tend to have grids packed some with nicky Hayden wannabes, so this can be a plus or a minus depending on what you want out of racing.

Ooohhhh  the 'meat grinder class'   :o

Paul raced a ZX-6 his first year and then switched to an SV.  Paul misses the power band of an in-line 4, but will never race one again.  The SV is the way to go.  If you are ever at BHF, look us up.

Dawn   ;)

Xian_13

Okay, time for my Opinion ;D
I have never run an SV so this is a non-bias opinion.
I started racing on a ZX6R which I bought for a steal... but I really wish I would have started out on a Light weight bike and learned to corner better from the get go.
The middle weight bikes are fun... but its a freaking mad house out there  :o Thus the name "the meat grinder Class"
SV's are cheap, handle well have great HP for a Light weight and there are a TON of people that race them (free advice/help in a pinch).
Unlike the 2cycles, they are also very reliable if left untouched.. and competitive as such.

That is just my opinion, take it as such.
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

Litespeed

A prefect track bike wouldn't eat up tires, wouldn't use expensive fuel and will crash well.  Since bicycle wasn't on your list I will have to agree with the SV crowd although if you aren't worried about working on a bike a GP125 would also be an excellent choice.  2-strokes in general are reliable, but they do require scheduled maintenance to make them that way where as a SV is gas and go.  I would also point out that the 125's have great suspension from the factory and a '95 can be just as competitive as a 2003.  WIth the new Fuel Injected SV coming out, I think the older ones will become somewhat outdated...

Nate R

I don't think the new SV makes the old one outdated, Not really. The only real differences are FI and +4 HP. That 4 HP won't make a big difference compared to that of the rider, nor will the FI.

Also, Jennifer is thinking of startin gon a 125, with her being 5'2 and a half, she needs a smaller bike, and her light weight will make more of a difference there. I myself want to race a 125 or 250 sometime....Any suggestions on brand/year of 125?   How long do tires last on those? Realistically, what kind of HP is a Club raced 125 making?
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(