Perfect Track/Race Bike

Started by KeelerDucati03, June 11, 2003, 01:09:09 PM

EX#996

QuoteI don't think the new SV makes the old one outdated, Not really. The only real differences are FI and +4 HP. That 4 HP won't make a big difference compared to that of the rider, nor will the FI.

Also, Jennifer is thinking of startin gon a 125, with her being 5'2 and a half, she needs a smaller bike, and her light weight will make more of a difference there. I myself want to race a 125 or 250 sometime....Any suggestions on brand/year of 125?   How long do tires last on those? Realistically, what kind of HP is a Club raced 125 making?

I want to know where you can find a 125......

Dawn   :-/
Paul and Dawn Buxton

KeelerDucati03

thanks Super_Duck!
great links - tons of information

tshort

QuoteI want to know where you can find a 125......

Dawn   :-/

In terms of size, tho, a 125 makes an SV look like a Lincoln Continental.  Even 250s are cramped next to an SV.  

Hey Dawn - how tall is Paul?  Does he find the SV cramped for his size? (for Keeler's benefit).
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

EX#996

Quotewww.rscycles.com
www.gpstar.net
www.snarlsport.com
www.gp-city.com
 :)

Thanks Brian,

Starting next year we are going to keep out eye out for one.  Renee wants to start racing in a few years  :o and we have decided that that this the bike she will start out on.

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

EX#996

QuoteIn terms of size, tho, a 125 makes an SV look like a Lincoln Continental.  Even 250s are cramped next to an SV.  

Hey Dawn - how tall is Paul?  Does he find the SV cramped for his size? (for Keeler's benefit).

Paul is 6'4" and 230 lbs.  

With rearsets, he is sitting on his heels when he hangs off the bike, but his mass (that just made me giggle  ;D) allows him to keep the bike more upright in high speed corners.  The one thing that he cannot do is get fully behind the fairing.  His shoulders are just too wide.  

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Litespeed

I got my '98 TZ from RSCycles and will definatlely use them again in the future for all my parts and any new bikes I think I might need.  The Yamaha's tend to have better suspension and are much more roomy (Jimmy Moore road mine in New Mexico last Dec and loved it) while the Honda's are more popular so you have more general advice available.  For the Yamaha's any year will work though I like the power of the '98 and up more and the Honda's are generally good if you get a '95 or up.  My tires have been on the bike for a couple weekend and a few track days and they haven't started to slide too much yet.  The bike's suspension was poorly adjusted so it would kind of bounce out of the turns and it still gripped well.  I would guess you can get at least 3-4 weekends out of them at a fairly fast pace and much more if you are getting started.  Sheesh, I could talk about these things forever :>.  

MELK-MAN

hard to beat a 2000f4. VERY reliable, strong motor. Not as strong to start as an r6 or gsxr, But i have 22,000 miles on my bike with 4% leak (that is very little, dont need to rebuild for a quite some time yet).. Crashes pretty good too. Love my bike..Needs rearsets however as the stock footpegs are low. Won a few races 1st year out.
later
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

duc995@aol.com

Even though I agree that the Suzuki SV 650 is very competative in its classes and plentiful, it won't teach you what an Aprilia 250 will teach you...how to carry corner speed!  My ONLY complaint about the 250 is that the SVs have an unfair advantage in the supersport classes.  There just is no way to keep up with the SVs unless you carry so much corner speed that you are riding on the RAGGED EDGE...as in no margin of safety.  I have had to go up to a 316 displacement to have the same straightaway speed as a stock SV.

You also need to determine what suites you.  If you are into twins, and by the photo of the Ducati, I assume you maybe...the SV might suite you better.  I used to race a single, as it was perfect for a beginner:  good chasis, low power...a combo requiring you to learn how to ride and not 'cheat' with HP.  The first time I rode the APrilia I was expecting the usual engine braking into the corner, but it wasn't there!  I entered the corner Way faster than normal, and guess what...I didn't crash!  I instantly appreciated the magic of corner speed and have been able to bring that concept to every bike I now ride.  I can now ride faster on ALL bikes just because of the 'secrets' that a good chasis, lack of engine braking and a relatively underpowered motor can show you.

You will have to do more maintenance than the 'turn-key' SV...but you will also learn more about your bike and learn how to become your own mechanic in the process.  Not a bad thing!

I will say in conclusion that if you want a no-brainer, easy to maintain, 'fun' bike that is competative...get an SV.  If you want to broaden your horizons and learn lessons that can expand your skills on ANY bike...get a two-stroke.

The APrilia 250 is a very low maintenance two stroke...almost four-strokish in this respect since you don't even need to jet it.  A TZ250 will offer more performance, but will not be as widely legal is LW classes and will need more wrenching/fine-tuning.

Good luck:  www.apriliaforum.com

FTZ591

A singles bike!! :P

Fun fun, and small classes mean you won't have to worry too much about getting run over like in the Suicide 600 class.

www.barebones.net

I have one www.speedwerksracing.com/projects.html
VFR800 - Jolie
MARRC Safety Crew - www.marrc.org
FTZ591 - SuperSingles Racebike
www.squidbusters.com Admin

Decreasing_Dave

Quoteyou won't have to worry too much about getting run over like in the Suicide 600 class.

I dunno....I never found the 600 class to be all that dangerous. :-/

Litespeed

I would have to agree with Dave, I never really felt threatened in the MW classes last year and started at the very back of the class but moved up towards the front by the end of the season.  At no time did I consider it a meat grinder class.  Maybe the SW region is safer than the others or something :).