News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Dafan's Condition??

Started by Peanut, May 27, 2003, 08:38:43 AM

Peanut

Dafan had what looked like a bad fall in the Sportbike race yesterday, apparently he got taken out in turn 4.  Does anyone know how he's doing??

Art?

Thanks,

Nut

clemmr211

I talked to his girlfriend (I'm assuming) and she said "He's ok, they're just taking him to the hospital"..  I'm hoping that it meant nothing serious and they just wanted to check him out.. I didn't want to pry.
It all happened right in front of me, I hope both are OK...
Ryan

r6_philly

hey man. I was out for a while, apparently sitting under the tirewall (was told by the medic). They were gonna air lift me because I wasnt responding even though I looked awake. But I woke up as I got to pit out.

Art, I was so glad to hear your voice... it was the first known voice, and it reminded me of where I was.

Got to the hospital, found out I had a bad concussion, and a broken arm/elbow. As I was getting X-rays taken, I realized I couldn't walk, so they found out that my pelvis is broken too. And also bruised kidneys.

Then after I checked myself out of that little hospital and got home, as I was being washed, we realized that my spine from head to half way down the back were bruised. so I was really luck that I didn't break my spine... Thank summit point for moving that wall back, although airfence would even be nicer.

I don't have much recollection of the race. After I was told that 280 was the other bike involved, I remembered passing him in turn 3. I guess he somehow took me out in 4. Art told me that it wasn't my fault, I remember clearing him before we went to 4. I would love some one to told me what exactly happened. the only details were I flew pretty high and landed on my head then into the tire wall.

I haven't seen my bike yet, but I guess no racing for a while, and no championship fight for me.

If I get well and still want to race, I don't know if I can put on a yellow plate ever again. I see more than 1 person get taken out each weekend in my races, it never really hit me until it happened to me: I want to have confidence in the fellow racers that they won't take me down. I take precautions when I pass, too much sometimes, thats why Hector get through the field and finish 2nd and I get through the field finish 6th  ;D

Thanks for all that came to our aid, help packing up my stuff. Thank the corner workers, medics, I don't remember you guys, but you took care of me, didn't cut my leathers :D and stablized me.

I guess I will miss you guys out on the track for a while, maybe I will be back, maybe I won't. I am not making hasty decisions, but right now I don't feel too good. Nothing like waking up in an ambulance, not knowing anything happened, not remembering what happened, and don't know if I would see my love again (they thought I broke my neck)

Was a good weekend, now, it just plain hurts

r6_philly

QuoteI talked to his girlfriend (I'm assuming) and she said "He's ok, they're just taking him to the hospital"..  I'm hoping that it meant nothing serious and they just wanted to check him out.. I didn't want to pry.
It all happened right in front of me, I hope both are OK...
Ryan

hey ryan, please tell me what happened, I really have no memories of it.

I heard you did well and got 3rd. See I took out myself and another guy so you can get wood  ;D congrats, maybe we will race again

MightyDuc Racing

Glad you are okay and at home Dafan.  Sorry to hear about the crash.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

clemmr211

Hey Dafan,
Man I'm glad to hear you're alright, riding by the second time on the red flag lap seeing you slumped in the tires is not how I'm used to seeing you..(it's usually with your hair flying and you pass me into 1 on the start.. ;D)  
Anyway,
From what I saw from right behind you guys, you got him in three, he came pretty hard and tried to go back by inside you in four, highsided and his bike flew right into yours, knocking your rear out and sending you airborne.  It all happened pretty fast, but I'm pretty sure that's how it all happened.  I'd be surprised if you even saw it comming.  
I also agree with your thoughts on the passing.  I am by no means a fast guy (maybe when you Nut, Hector and #103 leave I will be  ;)), but I'll definitly have enough points by the end of this season to go to expert, and if it keeps up like it did this weekend, I may sacrife placing for driving myself home.  3 first lap crashes right in front of me where a rider took out another.
Oh ya, I got 4th not 3rd.  I blew my wad in the SuperSport race trying to catch Rob Smith and couldn't quite get it together to get by #125 who wasn't really making it easy...  Oh well, next time...
Anyway, this is probaby the most I've written on this board..  glad to hear you're ok..

Decreasing_Dave

Hey Dafan,

I'm really sorry to hear about your crash and your injuries.  I hope you heal quickly.

On the passing thing.  Lately, I have noticed myself that there have been MANY instances where I MIGHT make it past a guy, but he may not see me.  Earlier this month in Vegas there were several opportunities like that and I chose to back out of it instead.  In some cases I lost the position because of it.  I have a career, a wife, and a beautiful 2 year old daughter to go home to.  I just didn't see it as worth it.  Some of these guys will crash before giving up a position.  Not me...I'm gonna be 37 soon, Yamaha won't be knocking on my door. :-/

Baltobuell

Thank God for the miniscule protection of back protecters. It sounds like you were a breath away from really, really bad news. Get well soon.

r6_philly

QuoteThank God for the miniscule protection of back protecters. It sounds like you were a breath away from really, really bad news. Get well soon.

I know it is not proven, but the hump on the suit probably helped too. As I was lying on the board with the neck brace, I realize it was quite comfortable. I think that helped too. My spine is sore, and bruised, but I don't think I ever lost any feelings or motion after I "came back". When they first got to me, they say I wasn't following the light, pupils cloudy, didn't know where I was, and kept asking "What happened" for times and times and times.

I think I am going to start a push for airfence too, we need them.

MZGirl

Dafan,

Sorry to hear about your crash and what happened.  This type of stuff really pisses me off.  I was taken out by Jason Catching at Vegas.  I'm a 1st year AM and he's an EX who was lapping me and didn't pass me cleanly.  He took me out rather than waiting a fraction of a second to pass me on power on the straightaway.  All for a frickin' cheap wooden trophy that doesn't even have one's name on it.  I lowsided and tumbled in the gravel, so I didn't end up seriously injured (but I still have to fix crash damage to the bike and my leathers).  But in your case, that's some pretty scary stuff.  Not to mention how it must affect your family.  I just don't understand how some people can be willing to risk seriously injuring other racers over a little wooden trophy.  Focking dumba$$es.

QuoteI want to have confidence in the fellow racers that they won't take me down. I take precautions when I pass, too much sometimes...

Well said.  I only wish more racers would have the same attitude.  

Hope you heal quickly.

Baltobuell

Oh yeah! Broken pelvis, elbow, bruised from head to toe. Quite comfy. Now this guy is tough!
 I saw Grady at Summit and he's chompin at the bit to get back out after his recovery from last years wreck. After he pointed it out, look at the wall in turn 8, it's right there and I never saw it. Every year bad stuff happens and there has to be a better system than tire walls that is affordable. I think it's a bulldozer. Look at all the wrecks in turn 1 and 10 and how few times the ambulance has to go out. It seems tracks don't want the hassle of air fence, so long runoffs are at least permanant. In the meantime airfence would surely help.

r6_philly

in all fairness, mistakes can be made, it doesnt have to be a jackass move. I am not the person who hit me, so I don't know what went wrong, was it a risk too great, or just a mishap.

I do know, that I know the guys I usually race upfront with. I have confidence in them, and I am not afraid of racing them. This guy I passed usually finishes well behind me in all the races, and I passed him without too much of a thought, because I pass him in other races on the way to chase down the leaders.

I don't really want to blame anyone, that may be unfair. I am more frustrated with the mentality and condition that we are racing in. Seeing 5-6 bikes on the side of the track is a norm in AM MW classes. I saw 2 instances where one guy hit another this weekend. Many more crashes that were unecessary.

Save for a few, most guys realize they are not fast enough, rather than trying to figure out whats wrong with their overall riding, they just take more risks "push harder" You got a lot of things to work on other than being agreesive and take risks if you are riding around summit point doing '24-25 on a 600. Stop trying to fight the guy who pass you by going faster after he passes. If you can go faster and not crash, then you would have always gone that fast and I wouldn't have passed you.

now that I am NOT walking, not driving, sore all over and bike probably destroyed, I am faced with "what for" fighting for 3rd 4th place in a race with 10 people? if he didn't hit me , I would have kept on going and would have never saw him again in that race.

I did notice earlier that most guys fight you when you pass them. Even lappers. I wonder if race schools should be teaching people to race themselves instead of racing the others. If you can work on your riding and do 19's at summit, then you wouldn't have to take no risks.

What if he killed himselve? would that be better or worse? It just shouldn't happen. I heard he just hurt his shoulder. Well lucky him. Can we trade? I would give up all my plaques and all my checks to NOT sit here for the next 2 months. If he told me to let him have 2nd place or crash, I will wave him by.

I love rriding and love racing, but that I can't deal with. Maybe I will start back as an Expert starting in the back, at least no one will hit me from behind.