News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Favorite Helmet?

Started by tshort, May 17, 2003, 09:37:24 AM

r1owner

OGK (especially for the price that helmetharbor is selling them at) is the best helmet for features and fit for me.  I think the fit is in between a Shoei and an Arai.  The Arai Quantum I had did not fit me very well, but the OGK is perfect!

Excellent venting.  The shield mechanisim is much more complicated than it needs to be though.  Shoei has the best shield design by far.

bmfgsxr

tough call between the arai and suomy for me. although i destroyed my arai last year, and i just sold me suomy(i needed the money). so now im stuck with my 10 lb. shoei. :'(

Super Dave

I've used a lot of helmets over the years, but I've had three Suomy's now.  The Gunwind's were very nice, but now I have the new Spec-1R.  The shape is different, more like an "Arai" shape.  The ventilation is unbelieveable!

The BSI standard is more rigorous than the other's too, and this is what SUOMY uses in addition to others.  BSI tests a number of helmets from EACH lot.  If one is bad, the whole lot is scrapped.  Others just test a number, and the everything is good through all the lots.  

Additionally, the BSI standard is more applicable to motorcycle impacts were the helmet hits the ground and then is drug along the pavement.  Very different when compared to SNELL and DOT.

And I couldn't get a count on the poll...but my vote IS for SUOMY.
Super Dave

dave333

So, is the Suomy a long oval fit like the Signet GT and RX7 or more like the Quantum?

Super Dave

QuoteSo, is the Suomy a long oval fit like the Signet GT and RX7 or more like the Quantum?

That I can't answer, but it does fit me like the old Arai's I used to wear.  I think I had a Signet some time ago...before then they were F1's.  Probably a ways before most people's time...LOL!  
Super Dave

MightyDuc Racing

I wear and Arai Signet, but since I am getting AGV Contingency this year, I may try one of theirs next.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

tzracer

A neurosurgeon has taken about a dozen of our schools/track days. He wears an Arai.

I had on an Arai (RX7) when I fell at BHF last year the helmet did its job.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

MightyDuc Racing

Anybody wear the AGV helmets?  Input, suggestions on models would be appreciated.

TIA
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

sdiver68

The Quantum/Rx7 shape fits me perfectly...I've tried on about everything and keerp coming back to Arai...even though the internet sales thing pisses me off  >:(
MCRA Race School Instructor

LSTD

I used to use the Shoei X9/Scott Ru$$ell reps... now I wear Arai's and love them.  I still think Suomy's look the best... hands down.

Hey Super Dave, the new Spec-1R's feel like the Arai's huh?  Good to know... because I like the Arai fit.

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteAnybody wear the AGV helmets?  Input, suggestions on models would be appreciated.

TIA

I have a AGV X-vent I use for racing. Not bad, but the neck opening is a bit narrow side to side for me. But once its on, its comfy. If you wear glasses, it can be a pain to get them on after putting it on.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Super Dave

QuoteAnybody wear the AGV helmets?
TIA

In 1990...
Super Dave