News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Favorite Helmet?

Started by tshort, May 17, 2003, 09:37:24 AM

tshort

My highside landed me on my back/head, both of which took a hard hit.  I was amazed at how uninjured I was, given the apparent heft of the impact.  In any case, I called Arai to find out why I couldn't find my RX7-4RR and they explained the models had changed.  But here was the kicker - they also said that I could send my helmet in for a free inspection, and if they determined it was still good, they'd let me know and only charge me for return shipping.  Surprised me - I thought one hit and they're done, but apparently not the case.

Unfortunately, I got the call back yesterday, and was told my bucket is history ( can't say I'm surprised).  So before I spend another $500-600 on a new one, thought I'd see what everyone else liked.  I'm still an Arai fan, but I don't know a lot about HJC or FM, for instance.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

K3 Chris Onwiler

Suomy.  Light, comfortable and safe.  Saved my life!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

h8mondays

tshort,

I'm in the same boat as you as far as needing a new lid due to a highside.  I've worn Arai for a long time and that's what I voted on.  I like the weight of the Suomy, but for me, they aren't as comfortable as my RX7.  An alternative that I've been seriously looking at is made by OGK and their FF3-GP model which has an almost identical fit to an Arai RX7 and the weight savings of the Suomy.  Check them out at http://www.helmetharbor.com

EX#996

After Paul's Bell helmet (from his drag racing days) got damaged, I did a lot of research on helmets and we decided on HJC.  HJC is the Korean version of Shoei (same molds different maufacturers).

HJC is still Snell approved and the construction is top rate, but at a fraction of the cost over an Arai or Shoei.  I liked his so much, I bought one for myself.

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

racer865

HJC helmets are good I have several dirt helmets I race in and have had good luck with however after seeing a clip on 60 minutes of south koreans burning american flags and spitting on american troops stationed there to protect them from N korea the other night I have decided not to buy any more HJC helmets

Woofentino Pugrossi

What about us that have two different brands? ;D I have an Arai for the street (until my Suomy shows up) and a AGV X-vent for racing. Normally I buy a new race helmet every 2 yrs and then the old one becomes my street one if its not damaged. But since Arai had their little temper tantrum about online purchases, I am NOT gonna pay $200 more for one than I could online. I wish I kept all teh emails I got from the Arai clown when we had a little email *discussion*. They were rather amusing. He had no answer when I asked who was going to certify every parts counter salesman on how to fit a helmet.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

tshort

QuoteHe had no answer when I asked who was going to certify every parts counter salesman on how to fit a helmet.

Well yeah - good point.  When I went to a local Arai dealer to try on helmets and ask questions, I found he didn't know very much regarding which pads are removable, what sizes are the "stock" sizes for a given helmet size, and what other sizes are available.  I had my first one (the now damaged one) fitted by the Arai race support crew in Daytona a year ago, and they were awesome.  For as much money as they charge for the things, one would think they would have a stronger, more informed dealer network (especially now that they're clamping down on the discounters).
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

KBOlsen

Last helmet was an Arai... highsided beautifully but was able to replace it with the Shoei equivalent for half the price.  Fits almost as nicely as the Arai, but a tad "shorter" measuring front-to-back (if I stick out my tongue, I could allllmost touch the chin bar).

Will try the Suomy next.  I REALLY liked the way it fit when I tried it on, and the ventilation looks a lot more promising than either the Arai or Shoei.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

r6_philly

I have always used Arai's. But this season I started using a Bieffe (max biaggi) because thats the only helmet that matches team colors that I can find at the time. It was half the price of an arai and it was quite comfortable. Head and shoulder above the cheaper Bieffes. I was quite impressed.

I continue to use my Arai. In rain or overcast conditions cuz I love the amber tearoff shield I have... its the bomb

tug296

I always used Arai's, finally damaged in a crash, tried on every brand, best fit and feel for my noggin was HJC AC10. Highsided my first one, damaged beyond the point, but saved my head I believe, even though I had a severe concussion, brokeen Collar Bone ect. Bought another HJC AC12. Still the best fit, feel, visability. Like the quick change shields and ventilation. Also like the price. The big thing for me was comfort.
 I would recomend HJC to anyone.

AA Yates wore his Saturday.

H.M.  #296 am  U.S.A.
Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

Team_Nuclear

Arai, Arai, and only Arai...

Corsair or RX7RR4 only...

Have saved both mine and my riders lives...

dave333

I have owned 4 Arai's and won't buy another.  Their shutdown of mailorder sales sold me on Suomy, Bieffe or Shoei.  I do really fit the "long oval" of the Signet series, but I'm hopin' I can find something shaped for my noggin...  Anyone know who else makes a "long oval" shaped helmet?

r1owner

OGK (especially for the price that helmetharbor is selling them at) is the best helmet for features and fit for me.  I think the fit is in between a Shoei and an Arai.  The Arai Quantum I had did not fit me very well, but the OGK is perfect!

Excellent venting.  The shield mechanisim is much more complicated than it needs to be though.  Shoei has the best shield design by far.

bmfgsxr

tough call between the arai and suomy for me. although i destroyed my arai last year, and i just sold me suomy(i needed the money). so now im stuck with my 10 lb. shoei. :'(

Super Dave

I've used a lot of helmets over the years, but I've had three Suomy's now.  The Gunwind's were very nice, but now I have the new Spec-1R.  The shape is different, more like an "Arai" shape.  The ventilation is unbelieveable!

The BSI standard is more rigorous than the other's too, and this is what SUOMY uses in addition to others.  BSI tests a number of helmets from EACH lot.  If one is bad, the whole lot is scrapped.  Others just test a number, and the everything is good through all the lots.  

Additionally, the BSI standard is more applicable to motorcycle impacts were the helmet hits the ground and then is drug along the pavement.  Very different when compared to SNELL and DOT.

And I couldn't get a count on the poll...but my vote IS for SUOMY.
Super Dave

dave333

So, is the Suomy a long oval fit like the Signet GT and RX7 or more like the Quantum?

Super Dave

QuoteSo, is the Suomy a long oval fit like the Signet GT and RX7 or more like the Quantum?

That I can't answer, but it does fit me like the old Arai's I used to wear.  I think I had a Signet some time ago...before then they were F1's.  Probably a ways before most people's time...LOL!  
Super Dave

MightyDuc Racing

I wear and Arai Signet, but since I am getting AGV Contingency this year, I may try one of theirs next.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

tzracer

A neurosurgeon has taken about a dozen of our schools/track days. He wears an Arai.

I had on an Arai (RX7) when I fell at BHF last year the helmet did its job.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

MightyDuc Racing

Anybody wear the AGV helmets?  Input, suggestions on models would be appreciated.

TIA
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

sdiver68

The Quantum/Rx7 shape fits me perfectly...I've tried on about everything and keerp coming back to Arai...even though the internet sales thing pisses me off  >:(
MCRA Race School Instructor

LSTD

I used to use the Shoei X9/Scott Ru$$ell reps... now I wear Arai's and love them.  I still think Suomy's look the best... hands down.

Hey Super Dave, the new Spec-1R's feel like the Arai's huh?  Good to know... because I like the Arai fit.

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteAnybody wear the AGV helmets?  Input, suggestions on models would be appreciated.

TIA

I have a AGV X-vent I use for racing. Not bad, but the neck opening is a bit narrow side to side for me. But once its on, its comfy. If you wear glasses, it can be a pain to get them on after putting it on.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Super Dave

QuoteAnybody wear the AGV helmets?
TIA

In 1990...
Super Dave

MightyDuc Racing

QuoteIn 1990...

...I was fifteen! ;D ;D
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

Super Dave

Quote...I was fifteen! ;D ;D

And I was on the second row of the AMA 750 Supersport race at Heartland Park Topeka with Russell, DuHammel, James, Chandler, and a few others.

I was 22.

How time passes....

http://groups.msn.com/VisionsportsRidingSchools/racingwithsuperdave.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=27
Super Dave

MightyDuc Racing

Don't worry Dave, where I live (old people central), you are just an infant and I'm still in the womb.  You're not old around here until you get to 103, and then you are still younger than your neighbor and the guy next to you in traffic...lol.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

tshort

Well, score another one for Suomy.  Just picked up a Spec 1R - nice price, and appears comparable to the Arai.  We shall see (altho, I hope I don't get a chance to compare them crash-wise ;))
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

tigerblade

My favorite helmet was a Criville replica Shoei X-SPII (RIP).  It was very light and very quiet, but very expen$ive.  I replaced it with my current Arai Quantum/f.  It's not nearly as quiet, but it was half the cost.  I've been kinda waiting to see how the Suomys faired in crashes before trying one.  Better other people do the testing than me.   ;D
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Super Dave

I highsided my Gunwind last May pretty good.  Didn't get the .036 of a second that I needed.  I have no "known" loss of any faculties that weren't aready gone.

PJ, one of my instructors, got hit hard on the ice in Jan with his Gunwind.  The studded tire did not make it throgh to his face.  He had a huge hematoma inside his mouth from his impact with the helmet/face/other bike.

Kevin Hanson put his brand new Spec 1R down in April when someone @$$ packed him from behind.  Needed a new helmet, but finished out the weekend fine.
Super Dave

khanson

I have to say I have been interested in the Suomy's since they first came to the states.  However, the Gunwind never fit my head.

After purchasing the new spec 1r this year, I must say that it is the best helmet I have ever worn.  Very light, super comfortable and great ventilation.  i had always been and Arai person (last 10 years) and even worn Shoei's.  However, the Suomy is kick a$$ after wearing it.

Also, the thing that sold me was the BSI standards they go by which tests glancing blows like we suffer when we fall off.  The other tests don't perform this.

Plus, Gearbox International's service has been awesome in anything I have ever needed.  I highly recommend one and I trashed one the very first weekend I wore it. Go figure!
Kevin Hanson<br /><br />www.SafetyFirstRacing.com<br />Safety First Racing<br />847.357.1309

Litespeed

I was in the market to replace my Quantum/f and all I could find locally that fit well was the KBC VR-1.  IT has a very similar fit to the Arai for about half the cost.  I crash tested the first one by getting my head wedged between the bike and ground as I was sliding and only got slight scuffing on it.  I then went on teh quest for a new helmet and came back to the VR-1 again.  They are a great bang for the buck and I haven't really heard of anyone complaining about them.  It's also nice that the visors are around 20 bucks since racing seems to eat visors in a hurry.

Mongrel

Just got one of these.  Price was right and fit is great much like the RX7

http://www.helmetharbor.com/estore/products.cfm?seriesid=OGK+FF-3+GP