For you literary snobs: Stumpy's Race Report

Started by StumpysWife, May 15, 2003, 08:55:40 PM

Super Dave

QuoteNot winning an AM race, Melk....winning AND beating all the experts in the same race too.  He got an OVERALL win in the rain.  Started in the AM wave and passed all the experts too.

But rain riding is not regular racing, like I said before.  Stumpy did a good job, but it's about survival.  And there is no reason for the leading expert to chase the leading amateur.  That's taking chances, and it will just put you down in the rain.  As for Stumpy, he was all wired in.  He had a pace he was comfortable with, and he should run with it like he did.  I thought it was good.
Super Dave

EX#996

QuoteBut rain riding is not regular racing, like I said before.  Stumpy did a good job, but it's about survival.  And there is no reason for the leading expert to chase the leading amateur.  That's taking chances, and it will just put you down in the rain.  As for Stumpy, he was all wired in.  He had a pace he was comfortable with, and he should run with it like he did.  I thought it was good.

Watching Heather during that race was also entertaining....  I wonder if I show that much stress when Paul is out there.   :-/

Dawn   ;D
Paul and Dawn Buxton

tshort

QuoteBut rain riding is not regular racing, like I said before.  Stumpy did a good job, but it's about survival.  And there is no reason for the leading expert to chase the leading amateur.  That's taking chances, and it will just put you down in the rain.  As for Stumpy, he was all wired in.  He had a pace he was comfortable with, and he should run with it like he did.  I thought it was good.

That's consistent with my experience in the rain, Dave.  As I passed Ed Key  8) in the LWSB race in the rain on Sunday, I realized Ed was riding smart - he didn't need to beat me, just the other white plates, of which there was maybe one other (may have been none, actually).  In any case, I had a different story, with the other yellow plates out there all giving chase.  So we *all* were taking more chances than he was, and he was still going to finish first in his class.  That is smart.  Ego and racing can get one into trouble, or at least drive unnecessary levels of risk, IMHO.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128