Best Tire Option CCS MW

Started by Jwhite316, March 01, 2013, 01:50:51 PM

Jwhite316

From looking at the CCS sponsor page http://ccsracing.us/sponsors.html#sponsors it looks like Dunlop, Michelin and Bridgestone have all committed to some sort of contingency support to CCS races in 2013, and Pirelli awaiting for confirmation.  Who do you guys think overall is the best choice for tires based solely on contingency support, and track side support?
Well how could there be two number 1's? It'd be number 11 then?

Cbr_600rr_freak

MELK-MAN

You should ride the BEST TIRE FOR THE MONEY. Unless you are on the box nearly every race, and the grids are BIG, you won't get much or any contingency. Michelin nor Pirelli have contingency this year, but are both GREAT tires. The only tire you better than those are the UK ntec tires in my personal opinion (and others even though many won't post it on a public forum) .. and you have to spend $550+ for those.

SO.. (my opinion only) run the Michelin Cup tires, get awesome support form MasonRacin (Tommy mason i think is your guy in the MW), and you INSTANTLY have $150 in your pocket.
According to Mike "Thermosman" Fitzgerald, renown suspension tuner to the best in the business, the CUP tires is the best tire, especially the front. He says this himself, i'm not making that up.

Again, you can NOT go wrong with any of the brands you list, Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop, Bstones, they are all darn good, and better than most of us can use as club racers.. but don't base your opinion SOLELY on contingency. You just are not going to get as much as you think. They only pay a few places, and there needs to be 8-10 on the grid that actually MAKE a lap. Side note.. the b-stones are cheaper, and have conting, but i really do not think you will go as fast on them as the other 3 brands. But hey, it's a good tire for less money.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

DanO966

Quote from: MELK-MAN on March 01, 2013, 04:28:53 PM
You should ride the BEST TIRE FOR THE MONEY. Unless you are on the box nearly every race, and the grids are BIG, you won't get much or any contingency. Michelin nor Pirelli have contingency this year, but are both GREAT tires. The only tire you better than those are the UK ntec tires in my personal opinion (and others even though many won't post it on a public forum) .. and you have to spend $550+ for those.

SO.. (my opinion only) run the Michelin Cup tires, get awesome support form MasonRacin (Tommy mason i think is your guy in the MW), and you INSTANTLY have $150 in your pocket.
According to Mike "Thermosman" Fitzgerald, renown suspension tuner to the best in the business, the CUP tires is the best tire, especially the front. He says this himself, i'm not making that up.

Again, you can NOT go wrong with any of the brands you list, Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop, Bstones, they are all darn good, and better than most of us can use as club racers.. but don't base your opinion SOLELY on contingency. You just are not going to get as much as you think. They only pay a few places, and there needs to be 8-10 on the grid that actually MAKE a lap. Side note.. the b-stones are cheaper, and have conting, but i really do not think you will go as fast on them as the other 3 brands. But hey, it's a good tire for less money.

Well said Greg...You can't even get the UK Ntec's I used when I was doing 1:08s and 1:09s on my R6 at Blackhawk on anymore..so it's a moot point.

I run the Michelin CUPs and the are very good!  I won several  expert MW races last year on the Michelins!  I'm running Michelin again this year and looking forward to going faster! 

I learned a lesson quite a few years ago.  When Mike (Thermosman) speaks, I listen!  :-)

Good luck.

-DO
DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

MELK-MAN

For sure Dan, you put it to em this year in the MW for sure. ASRA pro wins too right ?
I had heard about the UK ntec no longer being available (or at least the GOOD ones whatever model that was, the guys running them would be faster than the spec tire FOR SURE) but wasn't 100% about it.
COOL ! :) LOL

DanO966

Quote from: MELK-MAN on March 01, 2013, 05:27:23 PM
For sure Dan, you put it to em this year in the MW for sure. ASRA pro wins too right ?
I had heard about the UK ntec no longer being available (or at least the GOOD ones whatever model that was, the guys running them would be faster than the spec tire FOR SURE) but wasn't 100% about it.
COOL ! :) LOL

Yes I won the ASRA Pro Sportbike race last year on Michelin Cups.

Greg, are you still healing or are you going to be at Roebling?  I'll be down there with a bunch of MidWest guys.  I'm just testing and getting ready for Daytona tho. 

DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

MELK-MAN

Quote from: DanO966 on March 01, 2013, 05:47:37 PM

Yes I won the ASRA Pro Sportbike race last year on Michelin Cups.

Greg, are you still healing or are you going to be at Roebling?  I'll be down there with a bunch of MidWest guys.  I'm just testing and getting ready for Daytona tho. 

I just sent pre-entries in for the Roebling races Dan, see you there. 95% chance i'm racing, will be a 5 weeks/3 days post surgery on the arm that Saturday. Another couple weeks healing would be ideal, but I think it will be ok.

Tire choice is tough at the March RRR round, the mornings tend to be chilly, and the A rear tires would cold tear till it warms up around noon. B rears should be fine.

roadracer162

I should have known that about the A rear last year. Went to th B and all was good. Love those cups!
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

MELK-MAN

Quote from: majicMARKer on March 01, 2013, 07:44:27 PM
I should have known that about the A rear last year. Went to th B and all was good. Love those cups!

were using an A in the morning too Mark? the track was wicked cold ..you would assume the softer compound is correct for colder temps, but it all just "depends".. LOL

roadracer162

I did have the A rear Greg and I destroyed it. Replaced it with the B and I have stuck with that tire in all conditions. My bikes don't have enough power to warrant using the A for grip but I guess side grip would be better?
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

MELK-MAN

Quote from: majicMARKer on March 01, 2013, 09:42:42 PM
I did have the A rear Greg and I destroyed it. Replaced it with the B and I have stuck with that tire in all conditions. My bikes don't have enough power to warrant using the A for grip but I guess side grip would be better?

on the rear A, side grip is better, initial 1st lap grip is better too. But, conditions need to be right for a soft tire to not cold tear. Funny enough at PBIR and Homestead, all i use is the A rear. Jennings? no way. Even when cold I use a B rear.
Every brand of tire was tearing last March at RRR in the morning.. but most of us were on soft compounds thinking it was more ideal due to the cold.ONce the track temp came up a little (from like 40F..) the A worked fine.
I use the VB Front almost exclusively, but there are times i think the VA would be a bit better.. i just have decided the VB is for me all the time.

roadracer162

I am of the same thinking with the VB. It seems to work in all circumstances and I know I am not pushing it as hard as you are. I should have tried running with you at Homestead last year. There may be another time where I get to chase you around in a race. It was fun riding around with Villa last weekend in my Thunderbike race. I sometimes think that trying the VA would work into my tire plans with the VA wearing close to the B rear wear rate. they seem to stick pretty good even with little rubber left, but I can see where losing heat in the tire may be a problem with less rubber.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22