Daytona Tires

Started by Toy Store, September 04, 2012, 01:08:17 PM

Toy Store

OK, lets talk tires. I'm going to Daytona and need tires. Do I get the Daytona spec tires, or do I stick with the ones I already have?
Patrick
www.superbiketoystore.com

Jiggyfly

I'll likely stick with the same ones I have. No.....Literally, as in, what's exactly on the bike right now!

(Ninja 250...... :biggrin:)

roadracer162

Patrick, it really depends on how fast you are. Greg Melka has done well on the Michelin there but he would be the one to speak to. It isn't a must if you are slower but is definitely worth it for the fast guys.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

leeroy996

Quote from: majicMARKer on September 04, 2012, 03:49:33 PM
Patrick, it really depends on how fast you are. Greg Melka has done well on the Michelin there but he would be the one to speak to. It isn't a must if you are slower but is definitely worth it for the fast guys.

I found my lightweight bike wasn't fast enough to keep the temp in the Daytona Dunlops.  The middleweight and above bikes seemed ok. 
I have my tires from last year, they look brand new.

bruce71198

Quote from: Jiggyfly on September 04, 2012, 03:37:50 PM
I'll likely stick with the same ones I have. No.....Literally, as in, what's exactly on the bike right now!

(Ninja 250...... :biggrin:)

I put a lot of laps on my Ninja's tires before changing them last weekend and I only did that because I wasn't sure how far past bald I could run the rear. They still had plenty of traction. I'll run BHF in a couple weeks then Daytona ( they should be scuffed in by then ) then all next season. I've pretty much taken tires out of my racing budget !!

apriliaman

If your on Dunlop you have to use there special tires and they will be looking at your bike.On my bikes I have used Pirelli and Bridgestone and never had a problem with mine.By the time I get there my tires usally have 2-3 weekends on them and I finish them off there.I dont remember when I used a new tire there.My bikes dont go 190mph,more like 140-160mph so that may have something to do with it.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

Kadius

I ran the regular spec Michelin Power One's (V front, B rear) last year at Daytona and they felt great. I am no where near fast (best time that weekend was a 2:04), but I got the same chunking problem with the rear tire that Melka had. The new Power Cups are supposedly made from a harder, but just as grippy, compound so they should be able to handle it.
AM #116

Tornado Bait

I ran Dunlop tires on a 600 and a 1000 there last year.  I thought I knew better and started the day with non-Daytona spec tires, UK N-Tec, on each bike.  I already had fresh rubber previously purchased and mounted so I figured I'd get my $ worth out of them.  The 600 made it most of the practice sessions without chunking.  The 1000 ate the left side in a matter of a few laps.  I can't speak for other brands, but on a bigger bike you'll want the Daytona spec tires.
Speed & Strength, BikeMaster, Vortex, E4S, Tucker Rocky
Cafe Racer Inc.
Tornado Bait Racing

Gino230

The Lightweight bikes and 600s running over 2 min lap times can use any tires. Fast guys and bigger bikes will need the Daytona tires. Like Mark said, I always use my regular pirelli's and have never had an issue on my LW bike.

Dunlop doesn't care what you run, but they won't mount anything but Daytona compound at the event.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

MELK-MAN

(copied my post in reply to your thread in the JGP forum AND your thread on the R6 forum.. I think you need to post it in the wera forum too ! LOL )

Has anyone on this site even been to Daytona international (this was in reference to the R6 forum..i don't think anyone that actually posts there has ever raced at DIS).
if you are turning 1:57 or faster ? i would be concerned.. if above that, or 2:00 or slower, no worries. (ps: 1:57 on the old course/original configuration, is rolling pretty darn good).
The daytona spec dunlops are friggin bowling balls. Yes, they will last at that facility, but it isn't a ton of fun riding around on them. Literally, there is no rubber that balls up on the rear tire.

Someone above posted they had tire issues at 2:04 lap times with the power1 B. i would have to say there was something else going on with your bike if that was the case. Either not warmed enough, too much, too little psi, a suspension problem, something. 2 guys were pitted near me having no issues running similar lap times, in fact, i bought his USED power1A as we found tires with less rubber (dissipate heat) worked better. This is why i think the NEW power CUP tires will WORK!! they are friggin thin.

The Michelin powerOne tires were an issue for myself, Scotty Ryan, and a couple others running 1:57s or better, as they would begin to chunk on the left side after 5 laps (sprints were 6 laps) even on the 600s right near where the hard middle compound meets the softer compound just left of center, but only when the tires were new. MOST other guys running 2:00+ were having NO problems at all (other than the one rider who posted above running 2:04 that as i stated, i THINK had some other issue..).
In practice, and in the team challenge that I ran for practice, the take offs were going 10-11 laps, then chunking (which would have been just fine for 6 lap sprints) .. well, that was cause they were thinner to begin with from racing on em before (the heat dissipated), so we shaved the tires on the left side (Walt literally has the tire on a thing that spins it and with a cheese grater on steroids you shave rubber off the tire). it worked better but we didn't figure that out till last race of the weekend.
NOW, the Michelin power cup is 3 pounds lighter, and friggin thin .. it has proven to dissipate heat already this season. it will work.
Pirelli?? again, if you are sub 1:57-8 lap time.. you may have an issue. Michelin won't be a problem i'm pretty sure. Especially since the sprints are going to be FIVE laps (verified with Eric Kelcher already).

the Michelin tires will be a BIG advantage this year at DIS Patrick, the guys on Dunlops just have to tiptoe around for the start of the race till they get some confidence. I'm using "A" (soft) compounds, as the middle is hard on all the Michelin tires. You can friggin get with the program right off the start..
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Kadius

Now that you mention it Melk-man, my suspension wasn't set up then and was way to stiff for my weight. I had issues all that year with just eating up tires everywhere. That could very well explain the chunking at the slower speeds I was running.
AM #116

leeroy996

Quote from: Gino230 on September 09, 2012, 09:45:37 PM
The Lightweight bikes and 600s running over 2 min lap times can use any tires. Fast guys and bigger bikes will need the Daytona tires. Like Mark said, I always use my regular pirelli's and have never had an issue on my LW bike.

Dunlop doesn't care what you run, but they won't mount anything but Daytona compound at the event.

I agree Gino; I think the lightweight bikes aren't going fast enough on the banking to worry about the tire.  The medium+ Dunlop will work but Dunlop are not going to mount it.