New Racer... Road America May 5-6

Started by KarlL, March 29, 2012, 11:09:28 AM

KarlL

Hey Everyone,
Im going to the learning curves class to recieve my license on May 5th at Road America, I understand CCS will be there that weekend, and I would like to tag along with someone willing to show me the ropes. I have read through the rule book, and still am unclear as to specifically which bike is elegible for what class. I would also like some pointers on the forms process, decals, just about any knowledge you have. I will be there with another friend who is in the same boat as me, and instead of "the blind leading the blind" I would like to pit next to someone, preferably someone, who is going to be there for the Apex day on friday. Also, i would like to PM someone who would be able to answer questions prior to the event.
Thanks in advance for your knowhow
Karl

Xian_13

Quote from: KarlL on March 29, 2012, 11:09:28 AM
Hey Everyone,
Im going to the learning curves class to recieve my license on May 5th at Road America, I understand CCS will be there that weekend, and I would like to tag along with someone willing to show me the ropes. I have read through the rule book, and still am unclear as to specifically which bike is elegible for what class. I would also like some pointers on the forms process, decals, just about any knowledge you have. I will be there with another friend who is in the same boat as me, and instead of "the blind leading the blind" I would like to pit next to someone, preferably someone, who is going to be there for the Apex day on friday. Also, i would like to PM someone who would be able to answer questions prior to the event.
Thanks in advance for your knowhow
Karl

There will be a few STT staff, that will be there the whole weekend.
This includes my wife and I.

After the morning riders meeting, simply ask any of the coaches for assistance.
They should be able to help you, or get you in touch with someone that can help.

-X
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

KarlL

STT has great staff! Having ridden with them for quite a while id probably run into a few familiar faces. I am however also looking for someone prior to the date that could give me a plan of attack, and walk me through what to expect so im not caught with "my pants around my ankles" trying to grab a coach and ask for help, while there getting pulled 5 different directions. Ive read the "typical day" part on the website, and have printed the rulebook, but the forms seem like I will possibly need a secretary to keep this running smooth.

Ill post a few on here so the beeb can help.
Does the Rookies Cup only have one race per weekend?
What classes can i run with a 07 gsxr 600, stock because the exhaust and PCV. and 1992 cbr f2, stock, 05 gsxr 750, ohlins setup front/rear?
Also will a stator and clutch case cover work, or do i need to replace the entire case, ie woodcraft has a full replacement for 300 or the cover for 130. on my 07 gsxr 600. ??
If I am on my first race weekend, does CCS give out sweet vests to mark new racers?
Laptimers are available trackside as i have seen but I read on the website under FAQ they call them laptimers and transponders. Is there a difference, it says one is mounted to the right front fork, and I have read posts about mounting the timer on the tail section. Whats the go?
Do i get an umbrella girl?  :boink: 

Thanks
karl

twilkinson3

Suggestion, for weekend #1 focus on one bike, less rambling around while trying to figure things out your first race weekend

On the someone to ping ahead of time can send me questions at taw081272 at hotmail.com be more than happy to help you guys out - won't be there Friday but will be the other 2, oh and to the umbrella girl - yes - just make sure he shaves his legs first 8-)p

Xian_13

Quote from: KarlL on March 29, 2012, 01:27:03 PM
Ill post a few on here so the beeb can help.
Does the Rookies Cup only have one race per weekend?
What classes can i run with a 07 gsxr 600, stock because the exhaust and PCV. and 1992 cbr f2, stock, 05 gsxr 750, ohlins setup front/rear?
Also will a stator and clutch case cover work, or do i need to replace the entire case, ie woodcraft has a full replacement for 300 or the cover for 130. on my 07 gsxr 600. ??
If I am on my first race weekend, does CCS give out sweet vests to mark new racers?
Laptimers are available trackside as i have seen but I read on the website under FAQ they call them laptimers and transponders. Is there a difference, it says one is mounted to the right front fork, and I have read posts about mounting the timer on the tail section. Whats the go?
Do i get an umbrella girl?  :boink: 

Yes, the rookies cup only has one race per weekend... You can still enter other races and still run rookies cup.

All three bikes you listed are Super Sport legal if they have no other modifications. Exhuast, Fuel management and suspension are SS upgrades.

Case guards are suitable for required bikes.

Timing and scoring uses a Transponder system. These are available for rent for the weekend. They may have them for purchase as well.

CCS does Not provide vest for new racers. Learning Curves will give you a shirt to wear over your leather, upon completion of LCR. That is the option of that racer.

Ofcourse you get an Umbrella girl.
They are first come, available at the Plymouth Walmart...
Arrive early, the ones without teeth go fast!

-X
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

Falco

Quote from: Xian_13

Ofcourse you get an Umbrella girl.
They are first come, available at the Plymouth Walmart...
Arrive early, the ones without teeth go fast!

-X

:ass: I love you Mr. X :cheers:
MW CCS #144 Am

Burt Munro

X, if I remember correctly, you used to live in Plymouth. Did you move voluntarily or was it mandatory when you got married? :kicknuts:

And I'll see you this weekend for my part of the Pony Express trip for Mark's motor. Not camping this weekend and I'm doing the Starter thing. I'm sure I'll be hangin' around for beers after 5pm.
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Xian_13

Quote from: Burt Munro on March 29, 2012, 05:55:22 PM
X, if I remember correctly, you used to live in Plymouth. Did you move voluntarily or was it mandatory when you got married? :kicknuts:

And I'll see you this weekend for my part of the Pony Express trip for Mark's motor. Not camping this weekend and I'm doing the Starter thing. I'm sure I'll be hangin' around for beers after 5pm.

Yes, I did live in Plymouth.
Yes, my marriage was contingent of moving...

Yes, we will see you down there and have a beer!

-X
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

truckstop

Quote from: Burt Munro on March 29, 2012, 05:55:22 PM

:lmao:

Great memory Rick. I shouldn't laugh though, I spent the first 18 years of my life in Fredonia, about 30 minutes south of Plymouth. (I still have all my teeth.)
It will be awesome to see you again! :)

Karl - You're welcome to pit near Xian and I. Like he said, we'll be there all three days, just be warned, we race two strokes so we're noisy and smelly (and sometimes I don't mean the bikes).

To answer a few of your questions:
- The forms are not rocket science so don't let them intimidate you. It is a little tricky figuring out the classes though.
  For a really rough breakdown: Lightweight = SV 650s and other small twins, Middleweight = 600, Heavyweight = 750, Unlimited = 1K. You'll want to focus on the Middleweight classes with the gixxer 600. Anything with a "GT" in the name can be remembered like this: GTL is "GT Light", GTU is "GT Under", and GTO is "GT Over" (as in, 600 and under, or over 600) I always had a hard time keeping track because I think of "U" as being "Unlimited" but that's not the case here. If your bike is pretty much stock, you can race in both Supersport and Superbike classes. Once you start doing a lot of mods, you'll be restricted to Superbike. Remember that the CCS rulebook only tells you what you absolutely can NOT do for a given class, and anything else is fair game if it's not explicitly not allowed. You can also race "up" a class or two, meaning, you can race your 600 in Heavyweight and Unlimited. That can work ok at short tracks, but you'll be at a definite disadvantage at Road America.
Clear as mud?

- You asked about decals? Do you mean number plates? You'll have to have yellow plates. Yellow. Like school bus yellow, not lemon, or post-it note, or day-glo. Plain yellow. You can do the plates in either paint or with yellow vinyl. If you're local to the area, there are a couple people who can help you out with the yellow vinyl and numbers. Since you might not know what numbers are available beforehand, black electrical tape can work in a pinch for numbers too. The only other decals you need are CCS stickers which you can get at tech. They'll also have other contingency stickers at tech if you decide to sign up for whatever the one or two companies left are offering.

- The licensing school really only has one rule: don't crash. It starts early. It's kind of like a Novice STT day with classroom between a few track sessions where you learn procedure and flags. Really, the trickiest part is the starting procedure. I'd be happy to go over how to read the grid sheets and start procedure with you after the class if you still have questions because that can sometimes be a little overwhelming.

Hope this helps!

KarlL

Truckstop,
Thanks for all the info, its clear as mud now!  :biggrin:
Is there a vintage class that i can race the f2  and still be competetive?
Im looking forward to moving a litte off of track days, but still will keep a few open for me and my 58 yr old dad to still do  :lmao: he apparently doesnt want to race.
When we get closer, ill pm you and find out exactly where u pit, i would love to have our conversation be drowned out by 2 stroke neck ringing, and stinky men, umm exhaust.

Falco

You are spending way too much time discussing and worrying about "being competitive". 
Maybe you are so good on your bikes as is, that you will be competitive on any bike. Maybe you are another Walker.   I suggest that you take the school and grid up and complete few races before you bring competitivness of your bikes again.
Racing and trackdays are two different things.
MW CCS #144 Am

KarlL

thanks for the comment Dejan! See u at the track  :jerkoff: