News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Road America critique

Started by GSXR RACER MIKE, April 27, 2003, 10:29:19 PM

GSXR RACER MIKE

Just thought I would start a topic on what people liked and/or didn't like about the event this weekend (silence is generally taken as acceptance!).

Good:
     The announcers kept on the ball with making the calls for the upcoming races, for the most part. Bill using the P.A. system for the racers meeting Sunday worked alot better than Saturday without it. The event as a whole seemed to move along fairly smoothly, even in the red flag situations. I like that they put the reminder signs along the exit road about returning the TRANSMITTERS (gee, didn't someone here on the board suggest that?). The corner workers were quick to get out the yellow, yellow & red, and red flags during all my races. I am also glad to see that R.A. is finally bringing safety to the forefront and modifying the 'kink' to hopefully resolve the danger aspect of that area.

Needs work:
     The 1 morning practice situation sucks! The time given from the end of the riders meeting to the start of the 1st race was way too short! By the time I got to my trailer they were on 2nd call and went to 3rd about a minute later. The lunch was pretty long and I would have given up 5 or 10 minutes of that time to extend the time between the riders meeting and the 1st race. 5 mph pit speed, I understand why, but that is rediculously slow (just figured it out, at that rate it takes 3 minutes to go a 1/4 mile!). There were alot of unsupervised small children riding bicycles all over the place, often times in the middle of the roads not paying attention to their surroundings! One child I encountered was weaving side to side in the middle of the main pit road as traffic was traveling both directions, forcing everyone to stop because of him. Now the no bicycle rule and no unlicensed drivers riding pit vehicles rule like at Daytona doesn't sound so unreasonable! (Too bad a few have to ruin it for all)

I have to give CCS a 'good job' rating for the event as whole from my stand point, and really appreciated the great weather they got for us this weekend also!
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Xian_13

Well it was my first time out at RA
 ;D and I am still a buzzin' about it  ;D

I have to say I loved the Kink! and I will truly miss it  :( (yeah I know it is dangerous there, but it was my favorite corner)

The announcers did a Great job.... and it was them, that make a good time for the spectators... so kudos!

Electronic scoring gets a thumps ups!

Corner works did one heck of a great job in the races I was in... (pat on the back for them all)

Now for the ugly side!

one morning practice just blew chunks! My pit hand was a few mins late Sat. and due to that I never got a practice on Sat, I had assumed that there was two sessions... and when I found out that there was not.. I was steaming mad >:(!

For all that didn't preregister... the jacked up the race entry fees to 100-75.. and so on... WTH was that!
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

Zippy

Have they changed the kink in some way?  Please tell me about it.  I corner worked and attended the race, but did not see the kink.

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteHave they changed the kink in some way?  Please tell me about it.  I corner worked and attended the race, but did not see the kink.

They are currently in the process of constructing the change coming out of the carousel and blending into the kink. Bill said it should be done for use the next time we visit R.A.

Redflagger

I was not able to attend the event so this change has my curiousity.  Does anybody know if this change will be used for bike races only or will it be used for car events also?

tshort

Permanent track change - they're going for FIM certification!!! :o  Which means if they get it, the BIG show will be coming to town.  How cool would that be??

But I like the kink - pick up a lot of time there when everyone else rolls off the gas.  Oh well.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote  Now the no bicycle rule and no unlicensed drivers riding pit vehicles rule like at Daytona doesn't sound so unreasonable

I'm pretty sure in the RA brochure theres rules listed that states only competitors and pit crews can operate motorized vehicles and bicycles in the paddocks. I remember there also being a part about spectators can only operate street licensed motor vehicles and bicycles around the track but no it the paddocks.

One thing I wished RA would enforce is the no race engines after 8PM or 9PM. That one guy revving his racebike at 10 PM friday night was annoying.

My gripes.
Registration at Seibkins thursday night was a cluster. At 5:30 people started lining up in front of the pre and post registration tables. Then they tell us we need a wrist band first. ::) Then they set THAT up next to the side door. How about next year, at 5:45 boot everyone out of the bar and form a line outside. Real nice job of butting in line people. ::)

Camping passes should had been made available at Seibkins or teh track should had kept 4 mile merchant open until 10pm so people can get out of Seibkins and to the track.

Bill should had used the PA system from day 1. This "everyone move closer" is BS. Even at BHF's he's hard to hear unless you are within 15'. All I heard Friday and Sat's riders meetings was the generators in the background.

Other than that, it was fun. ;D

Hopefully next year Kim's bike wont go mechanical when we are supposed to race eachother. ;D

Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

spyderchick

About the announcers:

Ed Key is now officially 58 yrs old. Cool how you can add a whole decade just by telling everyone at the track three times. :o

Megan and Mark Stiles are now brother and sister. Wow, how'd their mom do it? ;) :D ;D

Charlie Buse (pronounced byoos) is now Chuck Buse.(pronounced byoosie). He must've been adopted by Gary's (the actor) family. We'll be seeing him in a movie soon, I'm sure. 8)

Other than that, it was a blast. Good racing, good weather, good friends.  ;D ;D ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteAbout the announcers:

Megan and Mark Stiles are now brother and sister. Wow, how'd their mom do it? ;) :D ;D

;D ;D ;D

In Alabama that's legal!!!

Announcers.  I'd like to give them all a fat lip.  Last year I won six championships, and they never said my name once.  This year I float my valves and go backwards, so the announcer does a two-minute essay on how "Chris K3 Onwiler won multiple championships last year, but now he's finding out how tough the competition is in the expert class!"
Thanks, @$$#ole!  Couldn't have cared less or even have noticed me when I was a winning amateur, but oh how quickly the vultures circle when you move up to expert...
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

spyderchick

QuoteIn Alabama that's legal!!!

He said it, not me!  :o (I love Alabama, really I do.) ;)
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

spyderchick

QuoteAnnouncers.  I'd like to give them all a fat lip.  Last year I won six championships, and they never said my name once.  This year I float my valves and go backwards, so the announcer does a two-minute essay on how "Chris K3 Onwiler won multiple championships last year, but now he's finding out how tough the competition is in the expert class!"
Thanks, @$$#ole!  Couldn't have cared less or even have noticed me when I was a winning amateur, but oh how quickly the vultures circle when you move up to expert...

They had Dean Hagemann going off in 5...yeah, I was watching, Dean didn't go off in 5, a different bike did, and Dean was kicking some serious butt!!!
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteI have to say I loved the Kink! and I will truly miss it  :( (yeah I know it is dangerous there, but it was my favorite corner)

Don't get me wrong about the kink, I like it too, but its' lack of run-off area and that wall tremendously increase the risk of injury or death in the event of even a small error at those speeds. This sport/obsession has risk enough without something like walls poorly positioned in impact zones, I imagine that Miguel Duhamel would agree. Some people will get lucky and walk away from a crash in the kink, others unnecessarily may be disabled for life! Someone I used to race with in the late 90's was 1 of 7 riders to pile into the wall on the outside of the kink after a bike lost some oil ahead of them, he got lucky and walked away, others didn't!
     As much as I enjoy the kink, changing it is in everyones best interest (safety wise), and hopefully will present new challenges and opportunities with the new design! I'm wondering what the new track length is going to be now? It has to be longer, so will the concession building now be the 4.2 mile merchant? ;D LOL