News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

lightweight battery for the R6

Started by SV88, July 03, 2011, 08:35:39 PM

SV88

Just had to move my sv battery to the R6 so thinking of buying a lightweight lithium or AGM battery.   I understand that If I buy a lithium it will cost twice as much as a stock battery but that I'll save around 8#s.  Additionally I'll have to buy another charger.

Any other solutions?  Don't feel like dropping $300 for all this stuff.  I'd like the weight savings but find it hard to justify...
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

superbike supply

if you are currently running a battery tender product, you wont need another charger with the shorai battery.  is the r6 race only or will you be pulling double duty with it?  we currently have every shorai battery listed on our site in stock.    check them out:

http://www.superbikesupply.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SBS&Product_Code=shorai-battery&Category_Code=

design-engine

I have a 4cell lithium battery on my GSXR and if you charge it before riding your fine all day.  I have two and they are both charged.

gixxer188

I sell the Antigravity LiFePO4 Batteries as well as use one in my GSXR 1k and I have never had to charge it, ever, since taking it out of the box and installing it in the bike.  My bike has started every time even in 40 degree temps.  They do sell a special charger for it if you want one, but I have never needed one.  And you can't charge them with a regular battery charger.

I would suggest the 8-cell regardless of what brand you choose to buy.  If you put a 4-cell in an R6 you'll be sorry, even though it's rated for a 600.  I use the 8-cell in my GSXR 1k.
http://store.madisonsbk.com/brands/antigravity-batteries-1.html
MadisonSBK.com Online Store
MadisonSBK Racing - Owner/Racer
2012 CCS Midwest Regional Formula 40 Champion
2012 Blackhawk Farms Raceway Formula 40 Track Champion

alexjones

What price have you fixed for it...?

DanO966

DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

Rick Beggs

We have the Full Spectrum Power 4 cell batteries in all of our endurance bikes, never charge them and they work well
RICK BEGGS
RnRCycles VPLubricants TuckerPowerSports FullSpectrumPower MotoLiberty RSTaichi AraiHelmet EBCBrakes EvansCoolant EVS DIDChains MaacoSterling ArmourBodies LextekMotorcycle WoolichRacing Woodcraft JTSprockets ZeroGravityRacing PitBull Lapking ChickenHawk PodiumMotorsportsPirelli

Rick Beggs

RICK BEGGS
RnRCycles VPLubricants TuckerPowerSports FullSpectrumPower MotoLiberty RSTaichi AraiHelmet EBCBrakes EvansCoolant EVS DIDChains MaacoSterling ArmourBodies LextekMotorcycle WoolichRacing Woodcraft JTSprockets ZeroGravityRacing PitBull Lapking ChickenHawk PodiumMotorsportsPirelli

Xian_13

Quote from: rrrrrrrick on August 14, 2012, 10:58:20 AM
We have the Full Spectrum Power 4 cell batteries in all of our endurance bikes, never charge them and they work well

Really?
Why did we have to push start #62 then?

-X
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

design-engine

get two 4 cell batteries... 8 cell is for head lamps and cold starts.  Half the weight.    Design engine has been testing those batteries in motorcycle and RC vehicles.  Were coming out with a charger battery combo for sale by the way among other things racing oriented.

twilkinson3

8cell is also for total loss and twins hehe, a 4 cell wouldn't turn my sv over on a good day lol

gixxer188

Quote from: twilkinson3 on October 01, 2012, 02:04:51 PM
8cell is also for total loss and twins hehe, a 4 cell wouldn't turn my sv over on a good day lol

The 4-cells are not rated for v-twins because it can't turn over the larger cylinders, even though there are only 2 of them.
MadisonSBK.com Online Store
MadisonSBK Racing - Owner/Racer
2012 CCS Midwest Regional Formula 40 Champion
2012 Blackhawk Farms Raceway Formula 40 Track Champion