PIRELLI VS MICHELIN

Started by CLAYE46, June 22, 2011, 07:37:11 AM

CLAYE46

Thinking of changing from pirelli to michelin. Which ones do you guys run on SV 650's?

LongDogRacing

mich, duh.

Power One "V" up front, and a medium-soft in the rear.  that combo will get-r-dun.
Justin Pennella
CCS Ex #32

Proud supporter of MOTOHICK

clarustnb

I've been using the pirelli's for ever.  Can't compare them to Michelin and I'm slow... so.. really what I'm saying is I like Pirelli but have no room to talk...
Benjamin Loyle
SV650 # 909
http://loyle.lwtracer.com/

pdoughduc

Might want to check out the Bridgestone BT003's. They have a V front too (Type 2 & 3) and you can get a set for $300. I don't use tire warmers and I've never had an issue with grip or killing the heat cycles and you can get some serious quickness out of them before bumping up to the latest and greatest R10's.
Mid-Atlantic/Atlantic
AM #82
Ducati 900SS

CLAYE46

Were do you get them from? and how do like the V front over the round?

pdoughduc

Quentin Mize (Mize Motors) or I've gotten them from Miles at Street & Competition when I was at NJMP b/c Quentin had another race to go to. My brother just got a Type 3 V front after switching from Michelin's and really liked the feel over the Michelin's but I'm still running a Type 4 front (which is round). I'm pretty easy on front tires and like the feel of the round but I'm going to try a Type 3 V front on my next set and see if I get anything more from the larger contact patch. Both of us run a Type 3 rear and like I said, no issues and good feel.
Mid-Atlantic/Atlantic
AM #82
Ducati 900SS

MELK-MAN

Quote from: CLAYE46 on June 22, 2011, 10:00:50 AM
Were do you get them from? and how do like the V front over the round?

one reason the V front works so much better on a LT wt bike, is because the V is a softer carcas 4ply tire, not a 5 ply like teh Michelin A/B tire. Lyles Sanders and I kicked some ass in the lt wt endurance series on a kawi 650 twin at Roebling road and little tally couple years back. LOVED that tire on a lt wt bike.
As far as comparing.. YOU should get a set of each and go from there. Tire are not a one-time buy, your gonna need more.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

SoudersD

Consider it part of your testing budget.

if you don't have a testing budget, stick with what you have.
Dave Souders
CCS AM #412 / TPM Blue
'06 SV650

Peter998

I used the Michelin power 1's last year and found them to be excellent tires. I won 23 races on them so they must be OK.
I did use the V front which for me on a Duc 1000 helped to turn in quicker, and once on it's side the bike was very stable with a large contact patch. I used the B rear and it was just all around great.

I did have one issue with the V front though. When at Homestead at ROC, trail braking into Turn 3 the front tire slide and would actually skip across the track. I almost bought it there on 3 occasions. I don't know if it was suspension set up or the tire, or too much brake, but I didn't have that problem anywhere else. My feeling is that if you are a heavy trail braker the power 1's may not be the best option. Other than that they were great.
Peter Meringolo 2010 Expert/ASRA # 998
ECS Racing

MELK-MAN

Quote from: Peter998 on June 29, 2011, 12:08:10 PM
I used the Michelin power 1's last year and found them to be excellent tires. I won 23 races on them so they must be OK.
I did use the V front which for me on a Duc 1000 helped to turn in quicker, and once on it's side the bike was very stable with a large contact patch. I used the B rear and it was just all around great.

I did have one issue with the V front though. When at Homestead at ROC, trail braking into Turn 3 the front tire slide and would actually skip across the track. I almost bought it there on 3 occasions. I don't know if it was suspension set up or the tire, or too much brake, but I didn't have that problem anywhere else. My feeling is that if you are a heavy trail braker the power 1's may not be the best option. Other than that they were great.

the issue in Turn 3 at Homestead COULD be the concrete patches that are grooved for grip, but still don't grip as good as the pavement.. Agree the V front is a little more flexy than the A/B fronts, but the additional side grip at full lean seems to outweigh the inferior trail braking characteristic. HOPEFULLY the updated V fronts are getting stiffend up a bit, but no word on when/if that occurs.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Peter998

Quote from: MELK-MAN on June 29, 2011, 05:45:55 PM
the issue in Turn 3 at Homestead COULD be the concrete patches that are grooved for grip, but still don't grip as good as the pavement.. Agree the V front is a little more flexy than the A/B fronts, but the additional side grip at full lean seems to outweigh the inferior trail braking characteristic. HOPEFULLY the updated V fronts are getting stiffend up a bit, but no word on when/if that occurs.

Greg, you are probably right about that because I was trying to just clip the inside corner of that concrete patch on corner entry which is where the bike is leaned over very far and I am still on the brakes. I tried not to worry about the patches, I hear they are really bad in the rain.
PS: Not to screw up this thread, but I am on Dunlop Ntec's this year and they are really really good.

Back to the original question.
I used Pirellis tin 2009, at that point I was just doing track days. I liked the Diablo Supercorse SP2 The front has more of a V shape, but did not like the Dragon Supercorse tires at all which have a rounded front.
Peter Meringolo 2010 Expert/ASRA # 998
ECS Racing

roadracer162

I can't give a direct comparison of the two tires on the same bike. I have ridden the SV(friend's bike) shod with the Pirelli. I didn't see any issues other than they move around a bit before actually letting go.

I have also riddent a different SV on the same track with the mostly equivalent Continental but that rear move much more than my liking. Yes, it as an endurance rear that was used in the Team Challenge.

I currently race on the Michelin mounted to my Ducati 800 and I like them. for me they give good feedback but not as much as some others but that is not a problem for me. I love the front traction while leaned over and trail braking. I never had a problem with the rear raction mainly I think from the 180 rear tire. I mostly use the B but I have used the A rear with success. I get at least 90 laps out of the  A rear with times within a second of my personal best. Albeit it is a lightweight bike.

T3 at Homestead has claimed many a rider.It is typicl to lose the front there as many have found out. There are quite a few race lins to approach T3 which I can only imagine your tend to really push the front end. Suspension set-up is different for the Michelin and I still continue to find the sweet spot.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.