News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

questions on v front michelin

Started by Paul Scalph #18, May 05, 2011, 06:21:58 PM

Paul Scalph #18

Just curious if anyone is having any problems with the v front? What do the fast guys use for a front tire?

Andi

Pirelli or Dunlop.... I run the V front and have never had any issues. I'm sure that's what most of the fast guys on Michelins use. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them

MX121

A&M Motorsports, WFO Racing, MRP Motorsports, SMI Signs

benprobst

Quote from: Paul Scalph #18 on May 05, 2011, 06:21:58 PM
Just curious if anyone is having any problems with the v front? What do the fast guys use for a front tire?

No problems with the V front, the new one is even better.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

roadracer162

I am not a fast guy but I have won a couple lightweight races on my Ultralight class bike. No problems with the tire in either ultra hot weather or temps down to the 50 degree range. it runs in much quicker than the A or B with their more rounded profile and the V has loads on side grip under trail braking. Not much experience in comparing it to the Dunlop but it is a lot easier to mount the Michelin compared to the Dunlop using the No-Mar changer.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

PlayHard

"Not a fast guy", whatever Mark! 

The Power One Michelin "V" front is awesome!!!  No problems with it to date.  As Mark stated above, the trail braking grip at full lean is unbelievable.   
CCS / WERA EX #95

roadracer162

Al I am only being honest with myself with that statement. that statement is based on the observation of the time sheets where most have a faster lap time than I do but somehow I tend to keep up. Me thinks it's that awesome prepered Ducati that the MotoCorse team put together. It is a runner for a very mild build.

The Michelins have been a very good tire with more feedback than what I expected. Yes the Bridgeston that I first used slid sooner and maybe told you sooner that I was close to the limit. The Michelin des give good feedback but it does have more grip.

More than anything for my racing program the Contingency works well for my budget.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

drew231506

Not fast but I have had some issues with pushing the V Front a lot more this year.  I was told the right HOT (off the track) PSI to run is 29.5.  Now that's significantly lower than what I have been running.  I gave it a try at a track day this past w/e and had no issues but I also wasnt pushing as hard.  I'll know more after this w/e. 

It's a little ridiculous, the lack of solid information with Michelin tires though.
CCS Expert# 13

LongDogRacing

29.5 hot sounds really low.

my start point point w/ the V has been 31 cold.

mr. melka, what say YOU?
Justin Pennella
CCS Ex #32

Proud supporter of MOTOHICK

drew231506

I ran with the cold pressures all last year.  Spoke to David Grey, whos the Michelin guy, and he said, nope you run hot pressures.  Really effing confusing.  But he said 29.5 hot off the track.  I have had some grip issues lately...and I suppose it could be a host of different reasons, but when id switch to the 1246 slick I couldnt push the front at all.  So the V front was getting in my head a little...im going to give the 29.5 a shot.
CCS Expert# 13

benprobst

Quote from: drew231506 on May 09, 2011, 09:50:20 PM
I ran with the cold pressures all last year.  Spoke to David Grey, whos the Michelin guy, and he said, nope you run hot pressures.  Really effing confusing.  But he said 29.5 hot off the track.  I have had some grip issues lately...and I suppose it could be a host of different reasons, but when id switch to the 1246 slick I couldnt push the front at all.  So the V front was getting in my head a little...im going to give the 29.5 a shot.

Feel free to give it a shot, it may end up working great. But the guys who have been running and using this product at the front of the pack for a long time have stuck with some pretty standard pressures, if anything we tend to go a little higher on pressures in certain situations. Dropping the front psi by 6-7 lbs is significant, and he is the only one doing it. One thing to remember is trackday fast and race fast are two different things.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

drew231506

Quote from: benprobst on May 10, 2011, 08:38:23 AM
Feel free to give it a shot, it may end up working great. But the guys who have been running and using this product at the front of the pack for a long time have stuck with some pretty standard pressures, if anything we tend to go a little higher on pressures in certain situations. Dropping the front psi by 6-7 lbs is significant, and he is the only one doing it. One thing to remember is trackday fast and race fast are two different things.

Care to expand on your post?  What are "standard pressures"?  Are you talking about the cold pressures 31-22?  "he is the only one doing it.."  WHO represents Michelin that can give some guidelines if not him?  I was under the impression he is heading up the distribution of all that is Michelin.

I agree that dropping the pressure 6-7 pounds is hugely significant.

"One thing to remember is trackday fast and race fast are two different things."   Ummmmmm?

Where is David getting his numbers then?  His own research?  (just asking, not being a smartass) 

CCS Expert# 13