News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Something REEEAALLY needs to be done about the deer @ Summit

Started by The Speedy Carrot, August 30, 2010, 07:18:39 AM

The Speedy Carrot

Another deer darted out on the track during my race on Sunday, narrowly missing me and another racer. This happened right after turn 1. I was watching it running along side the track when it decided to hang a right and shoot right in front of us. One of the reasons I got off the street was to avoid dangers like animals crossing paths. I can imagine outcome would not be good if I tagged a deer @ 100+.
CCS Am # 371

KillerCam

Glad you did not hit it. We were told in the Team challenge about the deer but it was a little late at that point.
KillerCam Racing
KillerCamRacing@yahoo.com
2006 GSXR 1000 Racebike
2006 GSXR 1000 Streetbike
CCS  896
Wera 896

bel-biv

I would like to thank the corner-worker at the top of the chute during the Team Challenge race.  On about lap 6 or 7, I came railing out of T3 and as I approached the crest of the hill, I saw the corner worker jumping up and down in the tower, waiving both arms and the debris flag like he was on fire.  I rolled out of the gas and saw 3 deer bounding across the track in-between the crest of the hill and the T4 - right where the WERA racer hit one earlier this year - Not 50 feet from me.

Had the corner worker not have done such a great job in getting my attention, I'm not sure I would have hit one of them or not, but it is reassuring to know that the MARRC crew is there and looking out for us.

I'm not sure anything can be "done" about the deer.  Maybe an organized hunt or something.  But the fact that apple orchards and farm land surround the track means that the forest rats will always be around in relatively large numbers.

I don't put much faith in the track management to do anything resembling an effective solution.  Considering they had unknown personnel operating under unknown guidance took it upon themselves to put sealer down in T5 and T6 an hour before practice was supposed to start on Sunday, I wouldn't be surprised if they scheduled an organized hunt to coincide with a race event.
But thats another thread....

Thanks Chute Corner-worker!!

Steve #176

www.patriotracing.us
Making a difference through motorsports.

Full Spectrum Power | Innovative Motorcycle Research | Cornerspeed | Orient Express | BG Oil | Online Paddock | On The Throttle

Jeff

So instead of blaming race orgs or track owners, blame the wildlife.  How dare they!  I mean, can't they understand the simple danger of being in that area?!?!

Seriously...  Provide a WORKABLE solution.  Go on, I dare ya!
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

bel-biv

I'm with you, Jeff - I don't think there is one and I love to race at Summit.
That said, I've seen more deer this year than ever before and it is an un-nerving experience.
Everyone jokes about it, but every racer that heads to the grid at Summit Point has to factor deer into their mental race preparation. 
Its just a huge variable with potentially life-taking proportions.
And still, I'm not sure that there is anything that can really be done about it - its just kind of fucked up.
Steve #176

www.patriotracing.us
Making a difference through motorsports.

Full Spectrum Power | Innovative Motorcycle Research | Cornerspeed | Orient Express | BG Oil | Online Paddock | On The Throttle

Noidly1

'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

Jeff

agreed it's unnerving, but for deer especially there's little to nothing that can be done.  I've encountered deer, turkeys, geese, squirrels, chipmunks and a turtle while racing.  Thing is, the race tracks are generally out in the middle of nowhere, kinda like where the wildlife is...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

spyderchick

Quote from: Jeff on August 30, 2010, 01:48:50 PM
agreed it's unnerving, but for deer especially there's little to nothing that can be done.  I've encountered deer, turkeys, geese, squirrels, chipmunks and a turtle while racing.  Thing is, the race tracks are generally out in the middle of nowhere, kinda like where the wildlife is...

They don't tend to show up at municipal meetings to complain about noise, either. <wink>
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

GSXR RACER MIKE

Outfit the corner workers with 50 cal sniper rifles!  :thumb:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

The Speedy Carrot

CCS Am # 371

spyderchick

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

MotoHick

Jeff, I've got an easy solution. Kill them with rifles/shotguns during hunting season. 30-06, 30-30, shotgun w/slugs - take your pick. Free up one or two weekends during the hunting season (no racing, no Gov't training). Permit a few licensed hunters to knock a few of these bastards down.