Something REEEAALLY needs to be done about the deer @ Summit

Started by The Speedy Carrot, August 30, 2010, 07:18:39 AM

GODZiLLA

The deer was running along side the outside of the exit of turn 1/ turn 2 entry.

I remember saying a little prayer of,
"don't come on the track, don't come on the track, don't come on track"

stupid fuck came on the track. i WOT and missed him by maybe 5-10 feet.
CCS AM #111

SVbadguy

Most of the deer cross from inside to outside.   In the morning line up two dozen racers from the pits to T9 and do a "FOD walk" towards T3-T5 and chase them out.
Mid-Atlantic Region 
MARRC Exec Committee at-large & Radio Committee Chair

The Speedy Carrot

The deer was running along side the outside of the exit of turn 1/ turn 2 entry.

I remember saying a little prayer of,
"don't come on the track, don't come on the track, don't come on track"

stupid fuck came on the track. i WOT and missed him by maybe 5-10 feet.

Race 13, right?

I was right behind you when it crossed your path.
CCS Am # 371

Rick Johnson 29

Man that track has character. Which is not always a good thing but it's a place to race.
Rick Johnson
Expert 29, ASRA 291, Wera 29
2011 SE Unlimited SS Champ                                                               
2011 2nd MA GTO,UnlimitedSB,SS,GP                                                   08 Suzuki GSXR 1000

Noidly1

Quote from: SVbadguy on August 30, 2010, 03:30:47 PM
Most of the deer cross from inside to outside.   In the morning line up two dozen racers from the pits to T9 and do a "FOD walk" towards T3-T5 and chase them out.
Actually not a bad idea...
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

Ducmarc

how about a big fence   we could have a deer fence action fund  i allready mentioned  the sat. deer hunt and barbecue. don't think you can dog hunt deer in WVA but there are hunters with bear dogs   contact them for help. plus farmers get 10 times the damage stamps than we got. maybe they would not  mind culling them if they  were allowed to hunt on the track property. might be their dogs chasing them to the track out of spite.  that's the way it was when i lived in Grandview WVA

Cowboy 6

Quote from: Jeff on August 30, 2010, 01:00:24 PM
So instead of blaming race orgs or track owners, blame the wildlife.  How dare they!  I mean, can't they understand the simple danger of being in that area?!?!

Seriously...  Provide a WORKABLE solution.  Go on, I dare ya!

Yeah, maybe they should put up signs so the deer know where and when it's safe to cross.
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

vnvbandit

Quote from: Jeff on August 30, 2010, 01:48:50 PM
agreed it's unnerving, but for deer especially there's little to nothing that can be done.  I've encountered deer, turkeys, geese, squirrels, chipmunks and a turtle while racing.  Thing is, the race tracks are generally out in the middle of nowhere, kinda like where the wildlife is...

All they have to do is MOVE the DEER CROSSING SIGN down the road a piece! ;-)
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

bjordan1109

i was right behind you guys as well, there was about 4 or 5 of us in a tight group when that happened.. its amazing that we all made it through.. thats enough to mess with your concentration for the rest of the race... between that damn deer and those stupid effin cones bein knocked all over the place, we had plenty of distractions to deal with

Quote from: The Speedy Carrot on August 30, 2010, 07:18:39 AM
Another deer darted out on the track during my race on Sunday, narrowly missing me and another racer. This happened right after turn 1. I was watching it running along side the track when it decided to hang a right and shoot right in front of us. One of the reasons I got off the street was to avoid dangers like animals crossing paths. I can imagine outcome would not be good if I tagged a deer @ 100+.

Gixxerblade

Quote from: MotoHick on August 30, 2010, 03:06:36 PM
Jeff, I've got an easy solution. Kill them with rifles/shotguns during hunting season. 30-06, 30-30, shotgun w/slugs - take your pick. Free up one or two weekends during the hunting season (no racing, no Gov't training). Permit a few licensed hunters to knock a few of these bastards down.

I heart Brett. You crack me up.

Woofentino Pugrossi

Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Burt Munro

Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!