My first attempt at a race report.

Started by Nate R, April 14, 2003, 09:12:06 PM

Nate R

Here's my first attempt at a race report. Should get better as the races get more exciting and dicing-filled.

------
4/4/03 – 4/6/03

Well, the skies were everything this weekend: Cloudy, Sunny, Rainy, Flurries. But throughout it all, it was just COLD. I did have some fun, and learned a LOT, and will be out again in May.

I arrived Friday morning around 7:45. After the line for registration, I started setting up my pit. Got things together in time, just as the practice sessions were starting. It felt GOOD to get out onto the track. As soon as I got out there, I ran about 2 sighting laps to get things going mechanically and mentally. Then, I started turning up the speed. Ran about 35 laps in 4 sessions, and came in for a while. There were only about 45 riders there, so we had open track. 20 minute sessions with 1 minute breaks to let cars cross the track. Lunchbreak, and then it started raining. I debated going out, but decided to get the rain tires mounted and see what they were like. So, I put on the raingear, and went out again for another 2 sessions and got about 15 more laps in on rain tires. Near the end, the clutch cable started stretching a LOT. That was it for Friday. I replaced the cable that night, in the freezing rain. Ugh. I'm glad I had an extra cable, though. With the clip-on bars being lower than stock, I haven't found a good way to route the cable. The first cable lasted 3500 miles, this one about 5000. I'm open to suggestions on cable routing.

Saturday: It was a COLD night in the airy tent. 23 degrees. But, I survived! Saturday morning, there was a layer of ice on EVERYTHING, including the track. So, they ran cars around the track for about an hour to get it warmed up and to get the ICE off of the pavement. They put down salt in a few areas to melt the ice and then swept it off. I got a couple short practice sessions. Then, I had GT Lights. Usually a 30 minute race, they shortened it to 20. It was my first race, and I was on the first row. But, there were only 6 bikes in my class. There were amateurs and experts both in for this race, so there were a total of about 15 bikes out there, but 6 in my class. I got an OK start, but everyone was by me by turn 5. So, I was alone for the race, pretty much. Got someone to time me. I was running around 1:54 for a lap. The top guys were running low 1:30s. That was it for the day. It was fun, but frustrating. I thought my riding would be better. Not so much concerned about the times as I was about the lack of smoothness.

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Nate R

Sunday: It was another COLD night. But, the track wasn't icy in the morning, so they were able to start practice on time, thankfully. I got in a couple cold sessions once again on the DOT tires. Pulled a 1:49 in the last session. My first race was Lighweight GP. I got an OK start again, and then by turn 4 or 5 I was alone. Ed Key lapped me on the front straight just before I started my 3rd lap. I got some 1:47s in that race and a 7th place. (out of 6, though) Next was Lightweight Superbike. I got a better start, but it was tough. My SV has a stock pipe, and just a shift light for now. So, I could get a good launch, but it was hard to watch the traffic and the tach going into turn one, so I had no real idea when to shift. That made the end of the front straight a place where I got passed by a few. Ah well. I had a fun race, and got down to 1:45.58, and another 6th place.
 My last race of the weekend was Lightweight Supersport. Vic Hyman, who rides an SV doesn't run supersport. (He's Ex #469) Vic was really nice to me all weekend, and offered to let me use his Mychron timer in the last race. So, we zip-tied and taped it to my triple clamp, and the sensor to the fairing bracket. It was nice to have during the race. For LWSS, I got my best start of the weekend, and Ed Key didn't lap me until I was in turn 6 on my 3rd lap. On my last lap, I turned a 1:44.80. I finished 5th out of 5. For reference, the fast Amateurs were running mid to low 1:30s this weekend, so I was about 15 seconds off of the amateur pace in my last race.

Overall, after Sunday's races, I was happy with the weekend. My goals coming into the weekend were: If the weather was nice, get lap times in the 1:30s, drag a knee, and stay upright. Weather was HORRIBLE, and many leaders were 4-5 seconds off of their old race times, so had the weather been nice, I think I could've gotten more done on Friday, and gotten better times on Saturday and Sunday. Sunday, my riding was a LOT better than Saturday, and I started feeling a lot better about my progress.
 Although the racing was kind of lonely, I still had a lot of fun. It would have been nicer to have other Ams on SVs with little racing experience. But, all the guys I was racing against had .75-2 seasons completed. So, I was running against experienced guys hardcore enough to be out there in 30 degree weather. So, I'm not too discouraged my my last place finishes. And, I still got a lovely plaque for 5th place.  

I've decided to skip the Road America event, and add SuperTwins to my race schedules. This way I can do the 5 remaining weekends at Blackhawk farms, and do at least 4 races at each weekend.

My next event is May 11th, at Blackhawk of course.

Once again, thanx to my sponsors, who made this all possible:

Taqueria Azteca Mexican Restaurant,
Second Platform Web Design,
And motoheaven.com.

Like I said, even though I finished last, and my times were slow, I know what to work on and what is going well so far. There will be more people out there when the weather is better. I had a great time, and talked with a lot of great people I already knew, and met a lot of new people. See you next time!

Nate Reik
       CCS MW Am #548
       Yellow SV650
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

Super Dave

Nice report.  Good habbit to get into.

As for slow times...

I don't think they were that far off.  I know that Kevin Gordon got down into the 14's, and I was ahead of him in two races, the important one being on Sunday.  I blew my new lap timer into oblivion though, so I never did get a time....(shouldn't have mounted it, I guess.)

It all takes time.  Hopefully, you can shortcut the process.
Super Dave

MZGirl

Great write-up Nate!  Glad you had a good weekend.  I know how you feel, being at the back and finishing last/close to the end.  That's usually where I am too!  But it's experience, which is what all us first-year racers need to focus on.

This past weekend I had quite a few folks to dice with, which made it more fun.  I had a total blast, and can't wait for the next race.  I'll be writing up a race report too...once we get everything unpacked!   :)

roadracer797

Way to go Nate, sorry that it was so cold or I would have come by and introduced myself but hey next time no matter the weather. I raced with you a couple of times and you do get great starts and ride a smooth line so great job and keep it up.
Craig

MightyDuc Racing

Sounds like you had a great time, and that's what's really important.  I'm sure you'll do nothing but get smoother and faster, and then those starts will really start to benefit you.  Good job, and nice write up!   ;)
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Jeff

First off, good write-up Nate.  Keep them going...

QuoteI blew my new lap timer into oblivion though, so I never did get a time....(shouldn't have mounted it, I guess.)

Dave, do you think that a My-Chron, being smaller would have faired any better?  Just curious...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

LOL!  No.  I think my leg ripped the receiver right off the wiring on the end of the cable.  It did tumble about eight times, as I'm told.  (OOPS...)  I know I went over about three.  (Vanson's rock!)
Super Dave

Dawn

Nate:

Sorry you felt lonely out there at the track.  Everyone was pretty holed up because of the cold.  Once it is warmer people will move around a bit more.

See you at BHF.

Dawn   :)

Nate R

Yeah, I figured things would get better with the weather. Also, Pit Girl wasn't able to show, so no one from my family or friends was able to come that weekend. But, it was alright, I still have friends at the track  :)

BTW, thanx again for the tip about my wood, Dawn. Next time I'll pay more attention to the # actually on the grid instead of on the grid sheet.

BTW, In April, I'll be at RA. Mind if I take a look at the clutch cable routing on Paul's SV?

Thanx for the comments, all!
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

Dawn

Nate:

Feel free to come over especially after the races are done.  I'll plunk down a couple of chairs, hand you a soda, and you and Paul can discuss many different subjects.  

Paul is very mechanical and can McGyver just about anything.  Super_Dave however is the one to talk to about suspension and such, Paul is still learning.

Dawn   :)

Nate R

K. Thanx! I dunno if I'll be able to stay after the races. Depends on time and such. But, I appreciate the offer. Either way, I'll come by and say hi.

What clip-ons does Paul have?

Right, SD for suspension. I'll probably be working with Ed Kwaterski on getting my GSXR shock resprung and revalved and such, but probably also with SD about setup after I take the school.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com