Which track would you prefer for the ROC on October 15-17, 2010

Heartland Park-Topeka
97 (60.2%)
Hometead-Miami Speedway
64 (39.8%)

Total Members Voted: 161

Voting closed: May 27, 2010, 04:36:16 PM

DJChyk

We've trick-or-treated in 80 degrees before here in Kansas City (just east of HPT). Wouldn't stock up on that Cold Gear just yet.  You could be pleasantly surprised  :thumb:
He talked me into it
CCS AM #31
http://www.tornadobaitracing.com

d-wire

I wouldn't assume it's going to be at HPT just yet.  I'm sure this poll is one of many considerations in the final decision....and it was fairly close.  We shall see. 

I'd personally like to race HPT if wasn't so much $$ in fuel and cold.  I thought the track was better than the reviews from the AMA guys.
Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote from: KenW on May 27, 2010, 08:14:00 PMWhat is it going to be like in Kansas? Is there such thing as an ice delay? Do we put salt down on the track?

Back in the 90's our season starting events for the Midwest were in late March at Heartland Park, I can remember going out for 1st practice sessions at a couple of those events when it was in the 30's - but it generally got up to a balmy 50* or even 60* by afternoon.

As far as ice delays goes - YES! Heartland Park use to have the road course for the bikes blend out onto the Drag Strip a short distance out from their starting line, the combination of moisture, VHT, and tire compounds on the drag strip was like ice when cold and I do remember delays in the morning because of it. Back then you could actually be spinning your tire 1/2 way down the front straight because of how slick it was, but that's no longer an issue since they modified the road course just for bikes.

The 1st event at Blackhawk Farms in early April of 1997 had a snow storm hit which caused a hell of a delay. On Saturday it was in the high 20's / low 30's and snowing, they had plowed the track but couldn't get it clear enough to race on so they told us over the PA to bring our bikes to tech so everyone would be ready to go the next day. I remember riding my bike over to tech with about an inch of snow covering the windshield and a smiley face drawn in it. I pulled into tech and Larry looked at it and said "You guys are nuts!" The next morning it was in the mid 30's but the track still had snow and ice on it so they let us take our cars and trucks out on the track and do laps to get the moisture off the track, the temps quickly got up to around 40* and the track got to be raceable after a couple hours. I think we got 1 practice session and then ran both days worth of races by doing 4 lap races all day. I remember that event well because in my last race I was forced off the track at the kink just before the carousel as I was making a pass around the outside for 1st place, I ended up going off the track on the inside of the carousel. Normally that wouldn't have been a huge deal but at this event there was 4" of snow covering everything, I went a ways thru the snow at speed before hitting a dip and loosing the front end. Not too many people can say they've crashed in 4" of snow while road racing a sportbike!  :biggrin:

Ahhhhh the memories!  :thumb:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

MELK-MAN

Quote from: skiandclimb on May 27, 2010, 03:13:01 PM
Pretty sure thats what the rest of the free world has said about Daytona for the past two decades! lol

For what its worth, Melka- I'll buy you a beer @ HPT, bro!

that sounds good!

Quote from: Burt Munro on May 27, 2010, 06:32:46 PM
Must be some Chicago politicians that moved to Florida........  vote early and vote often!

LOL.. you must be from Cook County?? !!  :biggrin:
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Burt Munro

Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Bitgeist Racing 696

Homestead!

I will take Hurricanes you see coming a week ahead of time than tornadoes any day. Oh yea. and it's 30 minutes from my house but that is not even a factor.. I swear.

KBOlsen

CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

gonecrazy

funny thing is it was wamer up here last year than it was down in daytona during that period

Peter998

Peter Meringolo 2010 Expert/ASRA # 998
ECS Racing

HAWK

Quote from: gonecrazy on May 31, 2010, 09:30:20 PM
funny thing is it was wamer up here last year than it was down in daytona during that period

You're not going to let facts influence this decision are you?
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Doctor

Wisconsin SportBikes Racing Team, Zone Photo, Dunlop, MotoVid.com, Blackhawk Farms Raceway

Jim Lilly
CCS Ex #703