Bridgestone 2010 Contingency payout

Started by skiandclimb, February 08, 2010, 09:18:51 AM

Noidly1

Quote from: Sklossmonster on February 11, 2010, 10:13:07 PM
Of course the tires at the Moto GP level are not what anyone has access to, but my understanding is that just like every manufacturer in the motorcycle industry the lessons learned trickle directly down into the products available to the racing community.  I've wondered why the slicks come packaged so differently than the DOTs, and why the compound codes and tire terminology is different from the slicks to the DOTs.  I'll find out and get back to this thread with what I learn.

Agreed...

Quote from: Sklossmonster on February 11, 2010, 10:45:41 PM
This is exactly what I'm talking about.  I don't think Mr. Probst is giving himself enough credit for the skills he's bringing to the table in his finishes.  Michelin's a great tire.  So is Dunlop.  And Pirelli.  And Bridgestone.  I guarantee you if he were committed to running one of the other tire brands and got his head and his bike dialed in to anyone of the major manufacturers he would be running similar times.

Until you're smashing lap records, and/or getting 20 sets of free tires to start the season, it's all about how much the tires cost, how much they pay, and how far down the order they pay. 

This is a great year for club racers on Bridgestone tires.  The payouts are excellent, they pay well down the finishing order, and trading certificates for tires is a breeze. 

And I'm being honest when I say I love those Bridgestone slicks, they're a phenomenal tire.  The biggest problem they have is that they'll never give free tires to front running Experts, it's against their philosophy.  I read in RRW that even when Rossi switched to Bridgstones and there was no spec tire rule, the Fiat Yamaha team had to buy their tires just like everyone else. Japanese pride, or something. 

Back in the day,(showing my age here) 1989-95, I tried a butt load of tyres except Dunlops and fell in love with the Michelin TX's.

When I came back, in '06-7, I was introduced to the BS's 002's. They worked... then came the 003's, they sucked, period... kept loosing the front.

Then I tried their slicks. Holy Crap, now those I like!

Last year I gave Pirelli a try. I like the Dragons. They work well.

Next set was the new Pirelli "WSB" SC's.( if they were the pro's, I don't remember)
They were ok but, I like the Dragons better.

This year I am up in the air. After reading the March RRW article about why WSB and MotoGP are running what they are running, my gist is that Pirelli's are for short, tight tracks and BS's are for longer, more flowing tracks.
I wonder how Michey and Dunlops fall in.

I like the feedback I get with the BS slicks and the packaging reflects what I am getting and I will continue to use them, if anything for trackdays.

As for what I'm going to run contingency wise, I have no clue... Too many variables.
Either run what works or go for the money(shut-up Ben, no, I may not run up front but I can give it my best, for an old guy)
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

red900

It feels so weird to not be in this fight, i am so used to BBS battles i feel lost not getting involved..  Good luck boys
Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

gonecrazy

there is no battle, I have used both tires and michelin`s have better feel and there front tires are in a class of there own. you cant compare the ones we use to gp or world superbike, its different rubber and has alot to do with $$$ just like dunflop and ama. Its is put up for bid with certain things that ama want.

alexm

I think my lack of talent disqualifies me from judging the performance differences of Bridgestone vs Michelin tires, but I did purchase enough tires in the last couple of years to judge trackside support.

In 08 I ran the bt03s and I liked them, but could not get any support from the vendor. Sometimes he was at BHF with tires, most times he wasn't. He had what seemed like random sizes and compounds in stock. The worst part was when I asked him what to run for hot/cold tire pressures, and he said "well, I'm not really sure".

I can't think of a CCS practice or race day when Tommy's big yellow truck wasn't present.
For that matter, it seems like Dustin's party bus looking setup is always there as well, and I've given him plenty an opportunity to rag on me while mounting Bridgestone tires because no Bridgestone vendor was at the event.

I hope Turn One Racing can change my image of Bridgestone tire trackside support.

Back to the lack of talent piece...I crashed less and went faster on the Michelins...

red900

Quote from: alexm on February 13, 2010, 12:57:41 PM

For that matter, it seems like Dustin's party bus looking setup is always there as well, and I've given him plenty an opportunity to rag on me while mounting Bridgestone tires because no Bridgestone vendor was at the event.

Back to the lack of talent piece...I crashed less and went faster on the Michelins...

I feel so used, im good enough to spoon on your stones but no love when you switch brands...  lol   

Party looking bus?   i should have wrapped it like Johnny rock page's ride, oh well  to late. 
Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

Sobottka

Quote from: red900 on February 12, 2010, 10:52:03 PM
It feels so weird to not be in this fight, i am so used to BBS battles i feel lost not getting involved..  Good luck boys
all you sandbaggin track day whores are same anyway.... tamato, tahmahto  :biggrin:
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

JBraun

Quote from: gonecrazy on February 13, 2010, 10:45:29 AM
there is no battle, I have used both tires and michelin`s have better feel and there front tires are in a class of there own. you cant compare the ones we use to gp or world superbike, its different rubber and has alot to do with $$$ just like dunflop and ama. Its is put up for bid with certain things that ama want.

Michelins are good tires for sure, I always did well on them. But "feel" is not an ojective category. You might like the Michelin front, and I might prefer something different.
Obviously motogp tires are special. But the WSBK tires really aren't. If you have 16.5s they're obtainble. The world supersport guys are running tires identical to the ones you get from your Pirelli vendor at a CCS race.
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

wfomotorsports

Quote from: alexm on February 13, 2010, 12:57:41 PM
I think my lack of talent disqualifies me from judging the performance differences of Bridgestone vs Michelin tires, but I did purchase enough tires in the last couple of years to judge trackside support.

In 08 I ran the bt03s and I liked them, but could not get any support from the vendor. Sometimes he was at BHF with tires, most times he wasn't. He had what seemed like random sizes and compounds in stock. The worst part was when I asked him what to run for hot/cold tire pressures, and he said "well, I'm not really sure".

I can't think of a CCS practice or race day when Tommy's big yellow truck wasn't present.

I hope Turn One Racing can change my image of Bridgestone tire trackside support.

+1  on  trackside support.... look forward to a more supportive season from the stone vendors.

Sklossmonster

QuoteThe world supersport guys are running tires identical to the ones you get from your Pirelli vendor at a CCS race.

I'm not so sure about that.  They're a lot closer to what is commercially availlable than MotoGP technology, but the World level of competition is usually at least one step ahead of what you can actually buy.

Either way, they're still great tires.  I love the Pirellis, and I'm sure if I spent enough time on the new Dulops, and  the new Michelins they'd be excellent tires as well.  They just cost too much in my opinion and they're contingency doesn't pay as much, doesn't pay as far down, and requires more riders on the grid to get paid at all.

All this talk of tires and contingency is making my insane.  Is it Spring yet?  :banghead:
www.TurnOneRacing.com
Bridgestone Vendor and Midwest Trackside Support Team
Complete  Race and Track bike preparations, modifications, and repairs

red900

WSS, Same tire Marshall, I promise.      WSBK, that is a different story. 
Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

Sklossmonster

QuoteWSS, Same tire Marshall, I promise.      WSBK, that is a different story.

Wow, who says spec tire series aren't good for the sport?  I always did like the feeling from my Pirellis, almost as much as I like my Bridgestones  :biggrin:

It should be a good year for club racing this season.  The economy is finally starting to show some signs of recovery, Pirelli's got a new paying class on the grid with actual qualifying, I'm sure Dunlop and Michelin will be as good as ever, and the Bridgestone contingency payouts are off the hook.

I'm looking forward to this season more than every, now if we can just find the time to actually ride!

Come on Spring  :cheers:
www.TurnOneRacing.com
Bridgestone Vendor and Midwest Trackside Support Team
Complete  Race and Track bike preparations, modifications, and repairs

Mike829

I want to ride too, but i need all the time I can get to get my bike ready, something always comes up.  april 17th will be here before you know it!
Mike #829EX
Madison Sportbikes Racing