News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Bridgestone 2010 Contingency payout

Started by skiandclimb, February 08, 2010, 09:18:51 AM

Team Spalding

Joel Spalding
CCS & ASRA #36

Sponsors: Michelin, Ducati Of Indy, Wife Cindy, Held Gloves, Southeast Sales.

benprobst

Quote from: Orange Kr8,RC51 minus 43 on February 10, 2010, 10:11:05 AM
Marshal what is the cost of a set w/ 190 rear?

More than the Michelins, not to mention all of the trophys you would have won on the good rubber.  :biggrin:
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

Sklossmonster

The "good rubber" that got their asses handed to them so bad in Moto GP their own teams were demanding Bridgestones in the middle of the season?  Oh yeah, that company  ::)

The truth is every major manufacturer makes an excellent product at the top of their product line.  Michelin has chosen to re-introduce an old product line to be price competitive, and that's fine. Pirelli did it with the SC Pros, Dunlop had their AMA spec tire last year, etc... The fact remains that the rider and the machinery are what make the difference at the level of anyone reading this.

www.TurnOneRacing.com
Bridgestone Vendor and Midwest Trackside Support Team
Complete  Race and Track bike preparations, modifications, and repairs

danch

Nuh uh! There's a magic tire out there somewhere that will transform me into a talented rider! I just know it.
MW Am #720

benprobst

Quote from: Sklossmonster on February 11, 2010, 11:34:51 AM
The "good rubber" that got their asses handed to them so bad in Moto GP their own teams were demanding Bridgestones in the middle of the season?  Oh yeah, that company  ::)

The truth is every major manufacturer makes an excellent product at the top of their product line.  Michelin has chosen to re-introduce an old product line to be price competitive, and that's fine. Pirelli did it with the SC Pros, Dunlop had their AMA spec tire last year, etc... The fact remains that the rider and the machinery are what make the difference at the level of anyone reading this.

Ha, keep reaching buddy. Care to compare Michelin and Bridgestones GP record? WSB record? Club level record? Just because at the world level the rules were changed and Michelin didnt adapt quickly enough has nothing to do with the quality of tires at the club level.
Are you saying the Power Ones are an old product line or do you not pay attention to what the competitors (that are in front of you) are running?
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

Sklossmonster

QuoteCare to compare Michelin and Bridgestones GP record?
I'd love to, but unfortunately Michelin left with their tale between their legs when Rossi, Pedrosa, and Lorenzo all demanded Bridgestones because Michelin lost it's edge and couldn't compete anymore at the highest level.

QuoteWSB record?
WSB has been a spec tire series for years, you want to compare tires that don't even exist anymore?

QuoteAre you saying the Power Ones are an old product line or do you not pay attention to what the competitors (that are in front of you) are running?
My understanding is the race Power Ones in the 120/190 cost racers (who don't have tire deals like you) about $400, is that incorrect?

And for the record, I haven't raced since 2006 when none of the tires we're talking about had even been developed.  I'm looking forward to doing a few rounds this year, and the guys at the front of the Expert inline 4 classes in the Midwest are all on Dunlops and Pirellis.

www.TurnOneRacing.com

NOBODY

We all know Michelin sux, cause they have a fat guy as an advertisement Icon. :biggrin:

Marshall, what are you ridin this year?  Yellow or White?

Noidly1

Skloss; Correct me if I'm wrong, (shut-up Ben...), But from what I have heard is that the Stones that the GP guys are running are from a differrent division than what the club level has access to and are developed by the Indy car division. The ones we have access to are from the street tyre division.
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

roadracer162

MotoGP aside-I did some comparisons of my own and found that the Bridgestone paid the best for the finishes that I had. Yeah you may say if I used this other tire I would have had better finishes. Reality-this is a club racer, I get beat not because of the tire I use but because the winner is a better rider. I also occasionally won a couiple races against the same guy that beat me-same tires, same guys. They race on Dunlop, Michelin and Pirelli.

On those days that I have won I was the better rider.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Sklossmonster

QuoteSkloss; Correct me if I'm wrong, (shut-up Ben...), But from what I have heard is that the Stones that the GP guys are running are from a differrent division than what the club level has access to and are developed by the Indy car division. The ones we have access to are from the street tyre division.

Of course the tires at the Moto GP level are not what anyone has access to, but my understanding is that just like every manufacturer in the motorcycle industry the lessons learned trickle directly down into the products available to the racing community.  I've wondered why the slicks come packaged so differently than the DOTs, and why the compound codes and tire terminology is different from the slicks to the DOTs.  I'll find out and get back to this thread with what I learn.

www.TurnOneRacing.com

Sklossmonster

QuoteMarshall, what are you ridin this year?  Yellow or White?

I was afraid they might make me petition to keep my Expert status since it's been over three years since I held an Expert license, but they were kind enough to save me the trouble.

Looking forward to gridding up again, it's been way too long. I wish I could afford to do a full season, but hopefully a few rounds will quench my thirst.
www.TurnOneRacing.com

Sklossmonster

QuoteMotoGP aside-I did some comparisons of my own and found that the Bridgestone paid the best for the finishes that I had. Yeah you may say if I used this other tire I would have had better finishes. Reality-this is a club racer, I get beat not because of the tire I use but because the winner is a better rider. I also occasionally won a couiple races against the same guy that beat me-same tires, same guys. They race on Dunlop, Michelin and Pirelli.

On those days that I have won I was the better rider.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.  I don't think Mr. Probst is giving himself enough credit for the skills he's bringing to the table in his finishes.  Michelin's a great tire.  So is Dunlop.  And Pirelli.  And Bridgestone.  I guarantee you if he were committed to running one of the other tire brands and got his head and his bike dialed in to anyone of the major manufacturers he would be running similar times.

Until you're smashing lap records, and/or getting 20 sets of free tires to start the season, it's all about how much the tires cost, how much they pay, and how far down the order they pay. 

This is a great year for club racers on Bridgestone tires.  The payouts are excellent, they pay well down the finishing order, and trading certificates for tires is a breeze. 

And I'm being honest when I say I love those Bridgestone slicks, they're a phenomenal tire.  The biggest problem they have is that they'll never give free tires to front running Experts, it's against their philosophy.  I read in RRW that even when Rossi switched to Bridgstones and there was no spec tire rule, the Fiat Yamaha team had to buy their tires just like everyone else. Japanese pride, or something. 
www.TurnOneRacing.com