News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

2010 ULTRA LIGHT SUPERBIKE CLASS

Started by redlinepilot, December 17, 2009, 11:56:51 PM

roadracer162

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

ScubaSteve

Quote from: skidMARK on December 18, 2009, 07:14:43 AM

I don't have any insight but just speculation. Now we will have that $50K SV.

Mark

$50k SV that would be 1 insane bike I hope
Steve

CCS FL

redlinepilot

Quote from: ScubaSteve on December 21, 2009, 12:13:39 PM
Do you remember Ed Key? He still has and races several 50K SV's.They are professionally built and maintained
where Ed has dominated for several years now. Quite the investment and dedication to be at the top.
Steve Guanche
Ex # 15 FL

ScubaSteve

Quote from: redlinepilot on December 22, 2009, 12:17:19 AM
Do you remember Ed Key? He still has and races several 50K SV's.They are professionally built and maintained
where Ed has dominated for several years now. Quite the investment and dedication to be at the top.

Yes Steve I know Ed very well. Raced him a few times. I dont think he has 50k in them though. When I raced Mills SV superbike I think at most Mills had 25k in it and it put out the same HP as Ed. Not many people can say they built a 100 hp SV and made it last a full year which we accomplished.

Steve

CCS FL

ktd

Quote from: 123user on December 18, 2009, 09:10:13 AM
Crap! Here we go again!!

I'll summarize the subject:  Highly exagerated hp claims for the 1000ds and XB-12R prompted whiney SV'ers to complained their way down to the slowest CCS racing class... thereby displacing two generations worth of antiquated machinery.

Are the Ducati and Buell really superior?  With the right rider and the right chassis re-tune they certainly can be, but for the average talent rider I still think the SV is a better racing package. 

You can't seriously say the XBR12 doesn't have a serious HP advantage over an SV?

spyderchick

Quote from: ScubaSteve on December 22, 2009, 09:27:03 AM
Yes Steve I know Ed very well. Raced him a few times. I dont think he has 50k in them though. When I raced Mills SV superbike I think at most Mills had 25k in it and it put out the same HP as Ed. Not many people can say they built a 100 hp SV and made it last a full year which we accomplished.

Yeah, Ed's 'O' bikes are well maintained machines for their respective classes.

However, the GP Bike owned by Bill Whisenant of Motorcycle performance is 'priceless', considering the amount of blood sweat and tears that went into it. I hope they get it dialed in this year, sure would like to see that bike dominating.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

SV88

Quote from: ktd on December 22, 2009, 11:16:09 AM
You can't seriously say the XBR12 doesn't have a serious HP advantage over an SV?
Don't forget that the Buell weighs quite a bit more than an sv and certainly doesn't handle quite as well.  I don't think that a well prepped Buell is a match for a well prepped sv.  The Ducatis (DS1000) often make a lot more power than sv and weight a little more but they appear hard to ride compared to the svs.
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

roadracer162

Quote from: ScubaSteve on December 21, 2009, 12:13:39 PM

Well I hear ya Steve. I can only go by what my experience is. When i raced the FZR the Mike Mills SV was built and running strong. I was told then that the price tag after all the R&D was about that $50K mark. My FZR put on the same dyno as that SV made less power than that SV at the 100 hp mark. I have raced against that SV when it went to Rob Buroker and it is one fast SV. With Rob and I abot the same level of rider it was a pretty good match but he definately had the motor on my FZR600 which incidentally is built to 630cc, headwork and flatslide carbs.

The SV is a formidable weapon but I don't believe it is necessarily a match for a Ducati in close to stock form. I do race my Ducati 800 against some other SV. I am an average rider and compete against other average riders on near to stock SV.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Cowboy 6

Quote from: SV88 on December 22, 2009, 04:15:06 PM
  Don't forget that the Buell weighs quite a bit more than an sv and certainly doesn't handle quite as well. 

Hey wait a minute. According to the official Eric Buell propaganda machine, Buells are the best handling motorcycles ever built. How is a base model commuter motorcycle, with pogo sticks for forks, like the SV out handling such an awesome weight-centralized beast? :biggrin:
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

ktd

I have had both bikes and I really can't agree with that.

Quote from: SV88 on December 22, 2009, 04:15:06 PM
  Don't forget that the Buell weighs quite a bit more than an sv and certainly doesn't handle quite as well.  I don't think that a well prepped Buell is a match for a well prepped sv.  The Ducatis (DS1000) often make a lot more power than sv and weight a little more but they appear hard to ride compared to the svs.

123user

To cut down thread repetition, maybe we can convince our moderator to create a "sticky" thread on this topic.  It can be titled:  "My SV should be the top bike in every class"  or how about: "I'd be riding MotoGP... if my SV wasn't holding me back"  I still see a lot of SV's winning a lot of races.  If I had to guess, those winning on the Buells and Ducs would still be winning on SV's.  Its you, not the bike.  Just cut the sh*t and quit benchracing... buy the bike you think is the best or get over it!

SV88

KTD - I'm very interested in your experience.  I'm essentially a slow expert sv rider and can comment on the SV vs R6.  I've ridden all the older Buells (I used to teach for Rider's Edge) on the street (never @ race pace).

Scott: I do agree with you but only at our level.  For the really fast experts where the skill differences are minute,  the bikes have more of an impact.

On another thread it was mentionned that SVs won 56% of the races against smaller Buell and Duc. %s.  Well yeah, most LW races are overun by SVs.  So proportionally speaking, more races are won on Ducs and Buells; this contradicts my earlier argument that SVs are comparable to Buells....

This argument cannot go anywhere since a well prepped sv (eg: Key's) will kill any Buell or Duc.  It would be more interesting to have a $2500 limit on mods and compare performance at that level (hp, torque, 0-100 mph) for the 3 platforms.

I really like the idea of the 600cc Pirelli spec class.  Then it's only my fault if i don't win.
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881