News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Erik is baaaaack...

Started by dylanfan53, November 21, 2009, 10:44:15 AM

GSXR RACER MIKE

I realize at this point it's still early in the big change for Buell, but I can't help but wonder about Homologation requirements concerning Buell's built in the near future. The big thing that jumps out at me was the 2nd paragragh in that article where it was mentioned that the only Buell's that would be produced from this point on will be the 1125R model, and that it would be 'for race only' - that's what makes me wonder if it would qualify for anything other than a 'GP' type class in CCS due to availability (how many units will be produced in a year?) and the lack of ability for it to be licensed for the street (at least in production form)? Taking it beyond that I can't help but wonder about the same requirements in AMA?
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Super Dave

Yeah, agreed Mike.  Really, AMA and CCS have decisions to make.  There are also the previous units sold out there too though. 
Super Dave

dylanfan53

There is also the possibility, and it's just speculation, that he's bound under a non-compete contract at HD which might preclude any activity or announcement about street production at this time. 

I'm inclined to think there's more to this than just opening up a race shop, at least I hope there is.

Don Cook
CCS #53

Super Dave

Quote from: dylanfan53 on November 21, 2009, 02:08:17 PM
There is also the possibility, and it's just speculation, that he's bound under a non-compete contract at HD which might preclude any activity or announcement about street production at this time. 

I'm inclined to think there's more to this than just opening up a race shop, at least I hope there is.
Yeah, that makes tons and tons of sense.  There are dealers with bikes.  And there are dealers that can sell parts.   

We could speculate about a lot of scenarios.  But that is very reasonable. 
Super Dave

SV88

Good for Erik.  HD is crap - talk about a poorly run union shop; I got the impression that the Pa mfg location was run by a militant union.  Buell will do much better without HD - they won't have to use harley's tracktor engines.  I cannot believe that a non-compete clause would even hold water since they are after completely different markets.  Harley is after the older cruiser market and Buell is going after a younger sportier group. 

HD is well aware of it's aging market which is why they bought supported Buell for those many years.  Unfortunately, having to use the sportster engine killed them.
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

dylanfan53

Pretty sure a little recession had something to do with it too.
Don Cook
CCS #53

skiandclimb

Quote from: dylanfan53 on November 21, 2009, 07:27:01 PM
Pretty sure a little recession had something to do with it too.

I agree.
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

xb12racerX

not as much as you're led to believe.
mind your own damn business

NOBODY

Erik is someone to look up to, the guy is fighting the good fight.  GOOOOO ERIK!!!!

roadracer162

Wasn't it back in the '70s that HD had governmental concessions when they were almost bankrupt? Could be that they were AMF then?
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Super Dave

Quote from: skidMARK on November 22, 2009, 08:32:09 AM
Wasn't it back in the '70s that HD had governmental concessions when they were almost bankrupt? Could be that they were AMF then?
I think they hit bottom, then Citibank financed them, then AMF bought them as part of their empire of companies.  Later, a group of former H-D guys bought it back.  I think the government tariffs against bikes 750cc's and above came under Reagan.  Hence the reason why there were 700's and 750's in the mid 80's. 

Recession issues?  Yeah, but, I've said this many times, the state of Wisconsin set up a new tax scheme that forced over $22 million from H-D in this current US and global climate. 
Super Dave