News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Buell no more

Started by xb12racerX, October 15, 2009, 09:52:56 AM

G-reg

Quote from: xb12racerX on October 16, 2009, 10:35:23 AM
that's where I'm headed in about 10 minutes. I want to see if it's real.

Thats almost too good to pass up!
--Greg
MW EX#84

tzracer

Sad day. As a former employee (1986 - 1990, loaded Buell #6 on a truck the day I started) I feel bad for the people that I worked with (and hired) who are still working there. Saw most of them about a month ago when I picked up Buell's donation for the RFF auction. I hope most of them stay employed.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Ducmarc

this is a sorry deal in a long line of them lately.as a business owner i understand that some times you have to make cuts . but you also have to make a decision to carry on even with losses, like most business are doing now in the hopes that things will turn around. wallstreet and the government is keene to tell you things are turning around because they run on hopes . this is one more example that it's not. if it was then they would have cut production and rode it out. look at saturn  now i here SK tools is on the rocks .   a couple of weeks ago pat mooney was showing me his new 1125 what a nice bike he told me about how good the payout is  so i go down to the harley megastore in town and they don't have any ( i did this once before when the xb12 came out) they only had one then.that's the problem they don't push the dealers to be in your face with them if the made each dealer take a couple a dozen or  else then they would be on TV ,the newspaper at all the local bike night's selling them  it's not a gsxer 1000 that sells itself you have to make an effort to sell it . no one's selling anything right now so that's no excuse to shut down permanently. our local metric megastore still has 07's. part of the problem i think is all the little bike dealers have been bought up we now have one store champions honda susuki kawasaki yamaha all in one building. so there's no loyalty and no profit. oh and ride now buy's cycle riders a year or so ago then pulls out now no ducati and i think no suzuki in orlando.  just my 5 cents

KTG

Quote from: gearhead on October 15, 2009, 11:59:30 PM
As far as this Buell racer is concerned, I'll be racing my XB in 2010 and will continue until I can't buy parts.
The bike still has a lot more than I can ring out of it so I have no reason to stop racing it.

I wish the season started this weekend, I'm already having withdrawal pains!

What would you consider after then parts are scarce?
Gron4 Photography
Motorsports Photography
www.gron4.com

dylanfan53

Quote from: xb12racerX on October 16, 2009, 10:35:23 AM
that's where I'm headed in about 10 minutes. I want to see if it's real.
Well?
I called this after noon about 3:00pm.  They said they opened the doors this morning with 10 (I think he said) 1125R's.  Five or so were 08's and five were 09's.  They only had one left.  $5800 out the door for the 09.
They had a couple cafe racers left. 

Honestly, I don't know what else I'd race.  Maybe I'll have to go back to a Duc, but unless I wreck this bike I'll go on with it.  I wasn't doing it for the contingency money.
Don Cook
CCS #53

DEVINC

I'm not much of a reader.... nor economist, but a good book to read if you love to read about economy and things...

"The Great Boom Ahead" by Harry Dent. and "The Great Depression Ahead" by the same.
Basically, he predicted that the economy would come to this state by around 2007. It was predicted in one of his books he wrote in i think 1991. Like I said, read them if it interests you.

Anyways, back to the Buell tragedy.

Woofentino Pugrossi

Heard a rumor Yamaha may be intrerested in Buell.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

gearhead

For us who race Buell, the end is not quite as dark as it may seem.
Buell announced yesterday that they will support privateer racers through the 2010 season with parts but no contingency money.
HD will be responsible to continue supplying regular parts for the next seven years.  So other than race only pieces, there should
be plenty of parts available to keep our Buells running strong for years to come.

I agree it's not perfect but...

KTG

Quote from: gearhead on October 17, 2009, 06:38:14 PM
For us who race Buell, the end is not quite as dark as it may seem.
Buell announced yesterday that they will support privateer racers through the 2010 season with parts but no contingency money.
HD will be responsible to continue supplying regular parts for the next seven years.  So other than race only pieces, there should
be plenty of parts available to keep our Buells running strong for years to come.

I agree it's not perfect but...

7yrs...seems like a long time
Gron4 Photography
Motorsports Photography
www.gron4.com

Ducmarc

i wouldn't worry about parts 748's are 8 yrs out and there's still alot of r and rs parts out there  if they don't have any case or crank issues there should be plenty of parts for a long time. the way i work imay get one since i never seem to ride anything in production

dylanfan53

Quote from: KTG on October 17, 2009, 07:55:38 PM
7yrs...seems like a long time

Especially for a race bike.  Screeeecchhhh....thumpp..thumppp.....shhhhhhhttttt.....     :banghead:
Don Cook
CCS #53

Super Dave

Quote from: dylanfan53 on October 16, 2009, 08:14:33 AM
Actually, if it weren't for tuition and taxes...

http://www.ukeshd.com
The folks at Uke's are really good people.  They were a great help in getting Erik moving.  Very entrenched in both Harley-Davidson and Buell as a long time dealer and as employees of both. 
Super Dave