News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Buell no more

Started by xb12racerX, October 15, 2009, 09:52:56 AM

Eye-p

Actually Dave, when non-government entities take over from the government the costs generally escalate. I cant think of an example when the private sector was able to do something as effectively as the government for the same amount of money. But then, that should be obvious, since there is no direct profit motive in the public sector as there is in the private sector.

It also seems disingenuous to suggest that there is corruption in government when compared to corporations in the private sector. Corporate america makes the government guys look like pikers in comparison.

Since more than 50% of federal tax revenue goes to support the military, would you recommend that we reduce military spending?
Jason Levitt
Full Spectrum Power
www.speed-cell.com

Super Dave

Quote from: Eye-p on October 15, 2009, 05:40:11 PM
Actually Dave, when non-government entities take over from the government the costs generally escalate. I cant think of an example when the private sector was able to do something as effectively as the government for the same amount of money. But then, that should be obvious, since there is no direct profit motive in the public sector as there is in the private sector.
Ah, profit motive.  Maybe you could explain debt motive then...

You believe that profits are bad? 

As for the government doing something effectively for less cost, provide examples.

It also seems disingenuous to suggest that there is corruption in government when compared to corporations in the private sector. Corporate america makes the government guys look like pikers in comparison.
Really, Medicare/Medicaid already has fraud they do nothing about that is staggering.  What examples are you providing?

Since more than 50% of federal tax revenue goes to support the military, would you recommend that we reduce military spending?
Really?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:U.S._Federal_Spending_-_FY_2007.png

What does Wisconsin combined reporting have to do with the federal budget?
Super Dave

Eye-p

I dont believe that profit is bad at all, obviously, since I sold you a battery at profit. :)

What I do believe is that government services should be out of the private sector. Have been in the defense and intelligence sector for years, I can assure you that waste and corruption by corporations dwarves that of the govt.

I will wait for you to provide a case where the private sector saved taxpayer money. Again, since this was your claim

Quote from: Super Dave on October 15, 2009, 05:22:05 PM
Now, public services?  There are too many.  There is corruption.  There is monopolization of services that could be provided by non government entities that would be more cost effective.  
it should be up to you to back that claim up.

Its also funny that you mention Medicare, as they operate with something like 1% overhead, and provide care at far less cost than any private insurer. Im sure there is fraud in the system and it should be dealt with immediately, but where do you think Medicare fraud is coming from? Is it private hospitals, doctors, and insurance companies ripping off the government, or is it the government ripping off...itself?

Lastly, the Federal budget estimates that you linked dont actually break down spending that isnt included in the DoD budget, like after-care for troops (Tri, Va), the Dept of Energy (which is out Nuke arsenal) or "supplemental" spending on Iraq and Afghanistan, which add approximately $200 billion to that total alone.

Wisconsin combined reporting is part of a larger effort to recoup lost tax revenue from companies that are trying to "hide" revenue by going offshore. I cant do it with my business, and find it appalling that other corporations are doing it as a matter of course.
Jason Levitt
Full Spectrum Power
www.speed-cell.com

Super Dave

Quote from: Eye-p on October 15, 2009, 06:32:04 PM
I dont believe that profit is bad at all, obviously, since I sold you a battery at profit. :)
I hope so since I didn't buy one...

I will wait for you to provide a case where the private sector saved taxpayer money. Again, since this was your claim
Actually, that's your claim. 

The private sector is voluntary.  So, it is about choice.  Government does not allow choice.  It is force.  The force of a gun.

Its also funny that you mention Medicare, as they operate with something like 1% overhead, and provide care at far less cost than any private insurer. Im sure there is fraud in the system and it should be dealt with immediately, but where do you think Medicare fraud is coming from? Is it private hospitals, doctors, and insurance companies ripping off the government, or is it the government ripping off...itself?
Well, why doesn't it deal with it immedately?  Or even in five years?  Ten?  It isn't the government's money.  It's yours taken by force. 

As for ripping off, you obviously know the payment programs that Medicare has and the results of that.  If I had bought a battery from you by force at a price that was 40-70% of your cost...

Even then, they have a higher rate of turning down their "customers" for services.

Wisconsin combined reporting is part of a larger effort to recoup lost tax revenue from companies that are trying to "hide" revenue by going offshore. I cant do it with my business, and find it appalling that other corporations are doing it as a matter of course.
Really doesn't matter.  It's not the government's money to take.  Harley made it, it is removed by force.  If that is what you believe and support, then that is your opinion.
Super Dave

hernan52

Quote from: 123user on October 15, 2009, 01:22:18 PM
Nothing against our senior racers... but the stereotype of the old fart on a chrome harley just fits.  I see these guys going down the Interstate at 60mph and wonder how any of them are still alive. 

Don't worry at my age I forget what I read within ten minutes  :biggrin:

Hernan
You don't stop laughing because you grow old.
You grow old because you stop laughing.

dylanfan53

As bitter as this is for those who have really enjoyed this bike, Buell is only about 4-5% of Harley's units sold. 

Harley's bleeding (again) and Buell was expendable.  Damn shame.  I feel terrible for Erik Buell, Henry Duga and all the good people whose brains, hard work and courage took the Buell brand as far as they did.
Don Cook
CCS #53

KTG

What now for the Buell CCS'ers?   Bad day for many racing organizations
Gron4 Photography
Motorsports Photography
www.gron4.com

gearhead

As far as this Buell racer is concerned, I'll be racing my XB in 2010 and will continue until I can't buy parts.
The bike still has a lot more than I can ring out of it so I have no reason to stop racing it.

I wish the season started this weekend, I'm already having withdrawal pains!

dylanfan53

Actually, if it weren't for tuition and taxes...

http://www.ukeshd.com
Don Cook
CCS #53

xb12racerX

that's where I'm headed in about 10 minutes. I want to see if it's real.
mind your own damn business

skiandclimb

Whoa! 1125R's starting at $3995?!?!?!?  I bet the DOC fee is like seven grand! lol
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

George_Linhart

Quote from: Super Dave on October 15, 2009, 05:22:05 PM
Moving Buell would not change the tax situation.  It's part of the Motor Company.

Move Harley-Davidson's HQ?  Well, Harley-Davidson has been here for a long, long, long time.  Milwaukee is an integral part of the Motor Company's history.  Having spent some time in the motorcycle industry, they just sell a whole lot of Milwaukee Iron in the state.  Would a change like that dramatically affect their sales?  I think it might.

Ah - Dave, there is the rub.  They do have the choice to move their HQ and if they choose not to because their analysis determined that their connection to Milwakee is such a vital part of their success that allows them to generate profits, shouldn't these profits be taxed by the city/state that gives rise to the ability to generate profit rather than allowing them to falsely export that profit to a lower tax rate state though tricks of accounting (internal cost allocations, transfer pricing, etc...)?

The efficiency and appropriateness of the federal, state and local goverments are a completely seperate issue.  I'm with you that there is too much waste and that government itself has become too much of a source of profits for the individuals engaged in business of politics.  

All of this said - I still don't see any direct causality between the state tax issues and the closure of Buell.  It was coincidental at best, but certainly not a linear cause.  I only point this out because your anti-government raving is making you sound more and more like a kook every day.

George