News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Gateway

Started by racerhall, May 04, 2009, 03:47:38 PM

racerhall

its bad enough that this race is the same time as the ama race at road america and that its a crappy track but now i look at the gateway schedule and its all on sunday, what the hell is this crap
Midwest ccs #69
asra #69
ama #66
www.schaumburgaudi.com

gonecrazy

trackaddix use to be all in one day at gateway also..we do have a trackday on saturday

DanO966

yeah I hate those weekends!!
DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

Boober

Yes track addix did that also.  How well did that work out for them?  Too much running around with your head cut off if you do any amount of racing.  Any problem and your whole race weekend is ruined.  I personally will enter less races than I would at a normal CCS weekend due to the schedule.

gonecrazy

its actually all the same because its not a twin sprint weekend

benprobst

Quote from: gonecrazy on May 04, 2009, 10:51:19 PM
its actually all the same because its not a twin sprint weekend

Actually its not, take a look at a standard 2 day weekend and one of the gateway races. They arent the same. Its a pain in the ass, no matter how you play it, but for the most part I hope poeple are able to understand the motivation behind it. Kevin, along with MCRA are putting themselves out there in an attempt to expand and strengthen the region. Sadly our club is too small to take on the full liability of a potentially poor turnout and buck up for a 2 day raceday. For our club, we know our trackday turn out will be good enough to ensure even a poor turn out doesnt put us in a hole.

I hope people give gateway a shot, and not just listen to their buddy who heard form his buddy 8 years ago that the track is unrideable. Could the place be better? Sure, but we have worked hard ot make it safer for the racers with lots of bales and as many as 10 sections of air fence if im not mistaken. For guys like Brian, it does suck, he could be looking at back to back to backs in some cases if he wants to run both of his bikes, but if the region can continue to grow it wont be long before even gateway and mcra will be looking at 3 day events.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

Boober

Not sure what a twin sprint weekend has to do with the topic but I'll try to explain what two of the midwest's top riders are complaining about.  Let's just say the average fast 600 guy races five times.  If you look at the upcoming Blackhawk schedule you'll see they have GTU and Unlimited GP($$$) on Saturday nicely spaced out on the schedule.  Then on Sunday you have Middleweight superbike before lunch and Middleweight Supersport and Middleweight GP after lunch.  This gives more time for tech, tire changes, and REST which makes for safer racing.  Five races in the same day at the expert level is gonna poop everyone out and cause mistakes. Mistakes mean crashes.  Crashes cost money or worse which causes racers to not race which causes CCS to go broke.  Speaking of CCS going broke, if races are crammed into a one day schedule some people are gonna enter less races.  There's already a potential for low turn out because it's Gateway.  Most people feel it's one of the most dangerous tracks we visit.  So there are a few reasons why the schedule sucks.  I understand Gateway may be your favorite track or home race or whatev but that's no reason to support a crap schedule that could easily be changed. JMHO

tstruyk

You had me until here...
Quote from: Boober on May 05, 2009, 12:59:26 AM
... schedule that could easily be changed. JMHO

Ben tatooed it, it is the way it is for a reason... yeah it sucks that its the same weekend as AMA at RA.  Also sucks that its a one day event (actually REALLY works out well for me as I cant make saturday  :biggrin:)

see everyone there!  Should be a good weekend of racing!
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

TommyG

Quote from: tstruyk on May 05, 2009, 03:38:57 AM
You had me until here...
Ben tatooed it, it is the way it is for a reason... yeah it sucks that its the same weekend as AMA at RA.  Also sucks that its a one day event (actually REALLY works out well for me as I cant make saturday  :biggrin:)

see everyone there!  Should be a good weekend of racing!
I think the schedule sucks and being in small business myself I'd love to know the difference in cost a Saturday  raceday poses versus a Saturday limited schedule or practice day.

I also think alot of morons are gonna chime in here because they feel the need to defend their home track or organization when in fact that's not necessary.  Brian's problem is clearly with the schedule. Nothing else. 

gonecrazy

Points taken...The cost of gateway for the track is high. Its not my favorite track, but it my home track..Our club(MCRA) can not afford to run 2 day race weekends at this point in our venture..If we did have a 2 day race weekend like ben said and had a low turn out could sink the club. If you want to know what gateway cost call them and ask how much to rent the track for 1 day. then add you insurance and staff o that..you will be shocked. If this year goes as we hope, you will more than likely see 2 day weekends next season. Its like they say"you have to learn to swim before jumping in the deep end of the pool"

And on a side note we have several section of air fence and have been able to add more this year. we strive to make it as safe as possible.

gonecrazy

1 more thing, If anyone has any suddgestions to make the one day schedule better please pm me with your suddgestions and maybe we can make some changes before the event.

r1owner

Turn the lights on and start racing at 4 AM?

Is MCRA having their series of races during the trackday?  If not, how about running the GT races at the end of the trackday on Saturday?  That will shave quite a bit of time off the schedule for Sunday's sprints.

BTW, welcome back to racing Brian, it was good to see your name there on the results for RA.