News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Tire wear

Started by wirehairs2, April 22, 2009, 05:13:59 PM

wirehairs2

Will tearing smooth out on a tire? These were take offs from another bike . I would like to use this tire as it still has alot of rubber left. Someone told me that once the tire does this it will continue even on a bike that is properly set up. tire is from last season, kept in heated garage through the winter.

any in put would be appreciated.

Sobottka

yes and no, just depends... they will, if you have a good set-up and conditions are right for that tire , migrate to the edge of the tire but they probably won't dissapear totally.   
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

wirehairs2

will the grip be compromised to any degree?

honda60071

On this topic I ran BT003 @ CMP over the weekend and the right side is twice as bad compared to the left. Is CMP that bad on the right or is my setup all jacked up?
Shawn

MELK-MAN

grip has already been diminished once a tire has cold/hot tear. Not to "0", but less than a properly worn tire. If i were not wanting to spend cash on a new tire, i would run that one..just keep in mind it is not new.

Yes, CMP is much harder on the right than the left. We saw 20+degF differences in the right side tire temp from the left. More on the rears..
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

wirehairs2

apriliaman

I was able to use the same rear tire from 4 races and 1 practice at jennings and 1 practice and 7 races at carolina.I beet my lap record by almost 2 sec on both tracks.At the last race after all that mileage i was still able to go within 1 sec of my best of the whole weekend.While my front was almost worn out just from the 7 races and 1 practice at carolina.My rear wore out real smooth.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

MELK-MAN

Quote from: apriliaman on April 22, 2009, 11:42:54 PM
I was able to use the same rear tire from 4 races and 1 practice at jennings and 1 practice and 7 races at carolina.I beet my lap record by almost 2 sec on both tracks.At the last race after all that mileage i was still able to go within 1 sec of my best of the whole weekend.While my front was almost worn out just from the 7 races and 1 practice at carolina.My rear wore out real smooth.

setting new personal bests is ALWAYS fun, and that is some great wear appriliaman. I would add however "DIsclaimer.. Do not try this on a 600 or big bike".. lol..
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

TommyG

Quote from: apriliaman on April 22, 2009, 11:42:54 PM
Also this post could have ended with ........  "Then I crashed and destroyed my $10K dollar racebike because I left my tires on too long!"

spyderchick

Quote from: TommyG on April 23, 2009, 12:19:28 PM
Also this post could have ended with ........  "Then I crashed and destroyed my $10K dollar racebike because I left my tires on too long!"

...and the voice of experience rears it's ugly head... :biggrin:
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

apriliaman

well i did go down at jennings turn 13.My front tire was just starting to look like the one in your pic.i didnt notice it only after i took it off,so it was very hard to see.it was the first lap so maybe it was cold.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

skiandclimb

I pulled 4 td's and 4 races on a set of 002 mediums last season. I know tire wear is a concern for everyone, but I honestly feel that people tend to freak out about the subject, and many change out their tires waayyy before they are done. BTW-I'm not promoting the use of a tire until it is dangerous by any means!
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com