News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Tire wear

Started by wirehairs2, April 22, 2009, 05:13:59 PM

roadracer162

Tire wear is really dependent on what you are riding and how you are riding. My Ducati 800 is much harder on tires than my FZR600. Although I am told that my FZR is a faster bike.

I race 4 sprints on a new set and then I use it for another several sessions. In all I am able to get about 100 laps on the Bridgestone rear slick before the rubber is totally gone. My gauge of the usable life of a tire is subjectively not too much loss of traction, and then objectively lap times that are 1 to 1 1/2 seconds off my average on fresh tires.

I have been told, and I believe it; if I want to learn how to go fast, then put fresh tires on and go fast. Being on old or worn tires won't make ytou fast but I do learn how to slide the bike at slower speeds.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

apriliaman

About 5 years ago i was faster on old tires then new tires.I just could not go fast on a fresh new tire.I was even using peoples takoffs for the whole season.I needed at least 10 laps or more to go fast.Now i can go fast on new tires and can do the same laptimes from lap 1 to lap 50 like in a team challenge race.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006