New MICHELIN TIRES ARE HERE! finally! UPDATED INFO 1/29/09

Started by MELK-MAN, January 26, 2009, 06:03:14 PM

MELK-MAN

I almost shat myself im so excited  :ahhh: . Frank Kinsey has em in stock already, and is getting more. THe PR series tires will be discounted but he still has some.  When they are gone.. they are gone. There are no more old series (C, d,E, etc) in the michelin wharehouse.

There are a TON of new street/Sport tires as well that i will try to get info on .
THe Michelin racing contingency program is the best I have ever seen from any mfgr. The Dunlops and Pirelli I will admit have had better tires for the past year or 2, and have incredible tires right now, but I think the new Michelins will give em a run for the money.

---------
now for the info.. as provided to me by Frank Kinsey via the meeting in Las Vegas he just attended.
POWER 1 tires (info)
FRONTS
all the DOT 17" fronts are MULTI compound and run 30psi cold. (just like the C). There are three (3) fronts to choose from. THe A and the B are SLIGHTLY more rounded but IS trianguilated. the V, the most triangulated or pointed of the 3 tires. A and B are slightly less triangulated than the old C front but apparently nearly exact same height. According to Michelin, the A and B would be the most popular tires.

A- 9.48lbs, 605.4mm diameter and is the softer compound, used for when ambient temps are below 68F.
     compounds would be   4/8/4 with the 4 (softer) would be the entire contact patch at full lean.
B- 9.48lbs, 605.4mm , slightly harder than the A, and used when temps are above 68F.      
     compounds would be 5/8/5 with the 5 slightly firmer than the 4.
V- 9.92lbs, 606mm, however is 4 ply (not 5 like A and B), and is more triangulated almost "pointed" with a 5/8/5 compound.

REAR TIRES.
-all the180/55 are 639.5mm in diameter, 13.73lbs, are 4 ply and multi compund (35% of edges is softer so 35%/30mid%/35%)
-all the 190/55 are 652.8mm tall. 14.77lbs, 4 ply and multi compound.
All the "A " tire edges of the 180 and 190's would be a "4" (soft) compound edge
the "B" edges being "5" (not as soft as 4),
THe "C" REAR will be an endurance type tire with a "6" type edge and ALL the middles of all the tires being a "9" compound (hardest).

TIRE WARMERS: as per Michelin, for COMPETITION (not street tires) put warmers at 176F for 30-40 min before use for FRONT AND REARS. DO NOT leave on for more than 90 minutes ever. If guys find something that works better please let us know.

WEAR: when the rain sipes are gone the tires are designed to WORK BETTER! so dont rush to change when the rain sipes are gone. The tires are designed to loose the rain sipes to become a "slick".

There WILL be NEW series power1 150 and 160 rears, as well as 110 fronts but are not here yet. There will only be an A and B but front and rear are multi compound.
There are no new slicks right now, the 46a slick 17" front is still available but will be labled "Power1" like the DOT tires. NEW 16.5" tires will be out soon with 3 choices front and rear like the DOT line.

Track day/sport tire are all 3 ply and are multi compound front AND rears. Front is 4/8/4 and the rear is 3/7/3..so may get too hot with fast riders.

PRICES! This is the good news. The new Power 1 competiton tires will be close in price to what we have been paying. $160 for fronts, $230 for 180 rears, $240 for 190 rears. THe 46a slick front went to $182 per tire..bummer.
ALL the old tires, 3-4-5-C will be discounted but little inventory of the old stuff is left. THERE ARE TONS of the new tires and should have no problems with supply.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

LongDogRacing

Booyah.  Can't wait to give them a go!  Any word on whether there will be a 160/60 rear in any of the new compounds?
Justin Pennella
CCS Ex #32

Proud supporter of MOTOHICK

MELK-MAN

ccs98

Can't wait to give them a try but I've always been a fan of the Med-Soft rear.
CCS AM #98 Great Plains

www.caferacerinc.com

MELK-MAN

all the 190 rears like the 180s, will have a pretty firm compound in the middle. The sides will have the softer compound depending on how much grip you need/how long it needs to last. The C rear (harder than the A or B) may be in the ballpark of the med/soft 190 rear. That thing was pretty firm, but you will get more side grip now i bet.

Super Dave

Greg, thanks for the heads up.  Tell Frank "Hi!" too!

Saw Tommy most of the day Sunday, but I was occupied with other stuff.
Super Dave

MELK-MAN

Quote from: Hank Reardon on January 27, 2009, 07:59:04 AM
Greg, thanks for the heads up.  Tell Frank "Hi!" too!

Saw Tommy most of the day Sunday, but I was occupied with other stuff.

Will do Dave.. Frank is really excited about the new line.

Super Dave

Quote from: MELK-MAN on January 28, 2009, 10:49:34 AM
Will do Dave.. Frank is really excited about the new line.
I'm sure you and I are too.  :D
Super Dave

Ducati23

CCS/ASRA #23
GP SuperTwins Champion 2007 2008
Ducati 848

Andi

They really stepped up their contingency this year. Now it's going to be a tough decision as to run Michelin or Bridgestone as both have done well for me.

MELK-MAN

Quote from: Andi on January 28, 2009, 11:46:03 AM
They really stepped up their contingency this year. Now it's going to be a tough decision as to run Michelin or Bridgestone as both have done well for me.

You need to try the new Power1 Michelin at least. They are different in good ways from the PR series. Compare them to the Bridgestone and see what works for you. If you like em both, then look at contingency and service.

LongDogRacing

it's tough to beat Michelin contingency.  i'll take cold hard cash any day over tire credits....

used michelin DOTs also sell well as take-offs to trackday'ers and squids.
Justin Pennella
CCS Ex #32

Proud supporter of MOTOHICK