New MICHELIN TIRES ARE HERE! finally! UPDATED INFO 1/29/09

Started by MELK-MAN, January 26, 2009, 06:03:14 PM

MELK-MAN

I almost shat myself im so excited  :ahhh: . Frank Kinsey has em in stock already, and is getting more. THe PR series tires will be discounted but he still has some.  When they are gone.. they are gone. There are no more old series (C, d,E, etc) in the michelin wharehouse.

There are a TON of new street/Sport tires as well that i will try to get info on .
THe Michelin racing contingency program is the best I have ever seen from any mfgr. The Dunlops and Pirelli I will admit have had better tires for the past year or 2, and have incredible tires right now, but I think the new Michelins will give em a run for the money.

---------
now for the info.. as provided to me by Frank Kinsey via the meeting in Las Vegas he just attended.
POWER 1 tires (info)
FRONTS
all the DOT 17" fronts are MULTI compound and run 30psi cold. (just like the C). There are three (3) fronts to choose from. THe A and the B are SLIGHTLY more rounded but IS trianguilated. the V, the most triangulated or pointed of the 3 tires. A and B are slightly less triangulated than the old C front but apparently nearly exact same height. According to Michelin, the A and B would be the most popular tires.

A- 9.48lbs, 605.4mm diameter and is the softer compound, used for when ambient temps are below 68F.
     compounds would be   4/8/4 with the 4 (softer) would be the entire contact patch at full lean.
B- 9.48lbs, 605.4mm , slightly harder than the A, and used when temps are above 68F.      
     compounds would be 5/8/5 with the 5 slightly firmer than the 4.
V- 9.92lbs, 606mm, however is 4 ply (not 5 like A and B), and is more triangulated almost "pointed" with a 5/8/5 compound.

REAR TIRES.
-all the180/55 are 639.5mm in diameter, 13.73lbs, are 4 ply and multi compund (35% of edges is softer so 35%/30mid%/35%)
-all the 190/55 are 652.8mm tall. 14.77lbs, 4 ply and multi compound.
All the "A " tire edges of the 180 and 190's would be a "4" (soft) compound edge
the "B" edges being "5" (not as soft as 4),
THe "C" REAR will be an endurance type tire with a "6" type edge and ALL the middles of all the tires being a "9" compound (hardest).

TIRE WARMERS: as per Michelin, for COMPETITION (not street tires) put warmers at 176F for 30-40 min before use for FRONT AND REARS. DO NOT leave on for more than 90 minutes ever. If guys find something that works better please let us know.

WEAR: when the rain sipes are gone the tires are designed to WORK BETTER! so dont rush to change when the rain sipes are gone. The tires are designed to loose the rain sipes to become a "slick".

There WILL be NEW series power1 150 and 160 rears, as well as 110 fronts but are not here yet. There will only be an A and B but front and rear are multi compound.
There are no new slicks right now, the 46a slick 17" front is still available but will be labled "Power1" like the DOT tires. NEW 16.5" tires will be out soon with 3 choices front and rear like the DOT line.

Track day/sport tire are all 3 ply and are multi compound front AND rears. Front is 4/8/4 and the rear is 3/7/3..so may get too hot with fast riders.

PRICES! This is the good news. The new Power 1 competiton tires will be close in price to what we have been paying. $160 for fronts, $230 for 180 rears, $240 for 190 rears. THe 46a slick front went to $182 per tire..bummer.
ALL the old tires, 3-4-5-C will be discounted but little inventory of the old stuff is left. THERE ARE TONS of the new tires and should have no problems with supply.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

LongDogRacing

Booyah.  Can't wait to give them a go!  Any word on whether there will be a 160/60 rear in any of the new compounds?
Justin Pennella
CCS Ex #32

Proud supporter of MOTOHICK

MELK-MAN

ccs98

Can't wait to give them a try but I've always been a fan of the Med-Soft rear.
CCS AM #98 Great Plains

www.caferacerinc.com

MELK-MAN

all the 190 rears like the 180s, will have a pretty firm compound in the middle. The sides will have the softer compound depending on how much grip you need/how long it needs to last. The C rear (harder than the A or B) may be in the ballpark of the med/soft 190 rear. That thing was pretty firm, but you will get more side grip now i bet.

Super Dave

Greg, thanks for the heads up.  Tell Frank "Hi!" too!

Saw Tommy most of the day Sunday, but I was occupied with other stuff.
Super Dave

MELK-MAN

Quote from: Hank Reardon on January 27, 2009, 07:59:04 AM
Greg, thanks for the heads up.  Tell Frank "Hi!" too!

Saw Tommy most of the day Sunday, but I was occupied with other stuff.

Will do Dave.. Frank is really excited about the new line.

Super Dave

Quote from: MELK-MAN on January 28, 2009, 10:49:34 AM
Will do Dave.. Frank is really excited about the new line.
I'm sure you and I are too.  :D
Super Dave

Ducati23

CCS/ASRA #23
GP SuperTwins Champion 2007 2008
Ducati 848

Andi

They really stepped up their contingency this year. Now it's going to be a tough decision as to run Michelin or Bridgestone as both have done well for me.

MELK-MAN

Quote from: Andi on January 28, 2009, 11:46:03 AM
They really stepped up their contingency this year. Now it's going to be a tough decision as to run Michelin or Bridgestone as both have done well for me.

You need to try the new Power1 Michelin at least. They are different in good ways from the PR series. Compare them to the Bridgestone and see what works for you. If you like em both, then look at contingency and service.

LongDogRacing

it's tough to beat Michelin contingency.  i'll take cold hard cash any day over tire credits....

used michelin DOTs also sell well as take-offs to trackday'ers and squids.
Justin Pennella
CCS Ex #32

Proud supporter of MOTOHICK

Andi

Quote from: LongDogRacing on January 28, 2009, 07:55:55 PM
it's tough to beat Michelin contingency.  i'll take cold hard cash any day over tire credits....

used michelin DOTs also sell well as take-offs to trackday'ers and squids.
The cash payout is very nice. If a peon AM like myself could get a couple top 3 finishes it would greatly reduce the overall cost of a race weekend. Hell 3 wins on a set of tires and it would be almost like racing for free. The chances of that happening are slim to none though.

MELK-MAN

... pays to top FIVE if that helps?? (smiley inserted here..)

Andi

Oh top 5 helps a ton. I'm just looking at it as if I were to by some miracle of God get fast enough to actually win a race or two.

howlieboy

Greg,

Thanks for posting the new information.  In regards to the front tires, when you say, the A and B are slight less triangulated than the C, how do they compare to the old PR2's?  For the Rear tires, It doesn't sound like there is a replacement for the E, or the comparable PR5?  As a budget racer, I loved how I could do 4 sprints on the E and run the same lap times on the last sprint as i did the first one.  I'm not fast enough to justify throwing on a 3.  The 4 never worked anywhere other than Barber (for me anyway)  Thanks for the input!!   I'm excited.     IMO.... when you compare, price, tire wear, consistency, and contingency, there really is no other choice than Michelin. 
Kurt
www.d2cycles.com
www.caferacerinc.com

LMsports

Not fast enough for a 3???? Are you crazy!

You have self esteem issues. Deal with them before the season starts, fast guy!
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

Rick Johnson 29

For you guys that run Michelins and are on a tight budget. http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/ has a 4 tire combo special on the older Power Races. Three rears and one front from $400 to $450. They are the soft ones and again older ones.Great deal if you don't mind running older tires.
Rick Johnson
Expert 29, ASRA 291, Wera 29
2011 SE Unlimited SS Champ                                                               
2011 2nd MA GTO,UnlimitedSB,SS,GP                                                   08 Suzuki GSXR 1000

Super Dave

Quote from: howlieboy on January 28, 2009, 11:36:42 PM
Greg,

Thanks for posting the new information.  In regards to the front tires, when you say, the A and B are slight less triangulated than the C, how do they compare to the old PR2's?
I think the PR1's and PR2's were really round.  And the carcass was really, really different, to say the least. 
Super Dave

MELK-MAN

just added info i forgot, the 3rd rear is a "C" and would be the hardest and an endurance type tire having a "5" type edge with the 6 middle (as all the rears have 6 middles).

I will ask about 160 rears, if someone finds out please post.

howlieboy

Rob, I could only get about 10 good laps on a three.  To justify throwing a rear on for one race, it'd have to be for some Yamaha money.  No lack of confidence, just realistic.  I'm looking forward to next season, especially if AMA is coming to HPT!!

I think the PR1's and PR2's were really round.  And the carcass was really, really different, to say the least.\
   That's why I was asking what "less triangulated" means.  I'm excited to try the new line of Michelins.  I just hope the new fronts are a lot closer to the C than the old round PR2's. 

Kurt
www.d2cycles.com
www.caferacerinc.com

MELK-MAN

Quote from: howlieboy on January 28, 2009, 11:36:42 PM
Greg,

Thanks for posting the new information.  In regards to the front tires, when you say, the A and B are slight less triangulated than the C, how do they compare to the old PR2's?  For the Rear tires, It doesn't sound like there is a replacement for the E, or the comparable PR5?  As a budget racer, I loved how I could do 4 sprints on the E and run the same lap times on the last sprint as i did the first one.  I'm not fast enough to justify throwing on a 3.  The 4 never worked anywhere other than Barber (for me anyway)  Thanks for the input!!   I'm excited.     IMO.... when you compare, price, tire wear, consistency, and contingency, there really is no other choice than Michelin. 

The pr1 and pr2 fronts were similar in profile to a pirelli. The NEW A and B are both taller than that, and very close in shape to the present prC front. I am told the V front is even more triangulated. I can not say how much less triangulated the A and B are, but just they are less so than the new V front.
I had forgotten to post info about the NEW C REAR.. it is the endurance type tire your looking for. on a scale from 3-6 (3 soft-6 hard) the edge of the C rear is 5 and middle is 6. Im guessing like the present E rear.

There WILL be NEW series power1 150 and 160 rears, as well as 110 fronts.

LMsports

Quote from: Rick Johnson 29 on January 29, 2009, 03:10:54 PM
For you guys that run Michelins and are on a tight budget. http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/ has a 4 tire combo special on the older Power Races. Three rears and one front from $400 to $450. They are the soft ones and again older ones.Great deal if you don't mind running older tires.

Sportbike Track Gear doesn't service racers at the track. If you are looking for tires for trackdays, then by all means they are a good resource. If you are a racer, you should support your local race tire vendor. Those are the guys that spend THEIR money and bring THEIR experience to the track to help you out. To buy discount tires online and then hand them to your local tire vendor to install them is a kick in their nuts, support the guys that support you.

In the Midwest and Great Plains CCS regions the regional Michelin distributor is Tom Mason and he'll be happy to provide you excellent service for Michelin products and has done so for years.
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

tug296

Frank Kinsey and his Michelin tires helped me win my championship!
Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

Rick Johnson 29

Maybe I should of posted that on a trackday forum. Wasn't trying to kick anyones nuts.
Rick Johnson
Expert 29, ASRA 291, Wera 29
2011 SE Unlimited SS Champ                                                               
2011 2nd MA GTO,UnlimitedSB,SS,GP                                                   08 Suzuki GSXR 1000