Ultra light superbike.. is this legal?

Started by G-reg, July 30, 2008, 10:38:26 AM

roadracer162

The 748 is not legal in ULWSB, but it is legal for Thunderbike. The SV riders are loving their new playground in the Ultralight ranks as they are all cleaning up.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

George_Linhart

From one aspect it is nice that the SV guys now have a class to themselves.  I continue to advocate that in true superbike trim a properly built SV650 can be just as potent as most Buell's and Ducati 1000SS racers.  Just look at the machines that Ed Key races if you need a proof of the concept.  Its just that the average SV guys like to have at least one class to dominate just like when they came in and took over LW from the FZR400's and Hawk GT's...

Unfortuantely, the fans of the "real" lightweight bikes are now completely squeezed out of everything in CCS and can only really be competitive in the vintage classes of other series.

Its all cool.  I'll race no matter what the rules just to go out and race.  It is nice to be competitive but the key is going out and having fun doing something you enjoy.  A plaque at the end of the day doesn't mean nearly as much as coming home in one piece with a shiny bike!

George

roadracer162

George - I am right with you on that thought. It isn't only Ed Key that goes fast on an SV although he definitely is a stand out. There is also Kyle Keesee and Rodolfo Ramirez from the Florida region that can really fly. Kyle was able to run a 2:08 flat at Daytona, on a stock SV, some 2 seconds faster than any other SV. He does pretty well against those Duc 1000s.

I still race my FZR400 although severely outclassed in all departments. Yes I could build the motor to a 489 and sit on a potential grenade under me. This FZR is a reliable ride that teaches me on so many demensions.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Kurlon

Quote from: roadracer22 on March 16, 2009, 08:28:52 PM
The 748 is not legal in ULWSB, but it is legal for Thunderbike. The SV riders are loving their new playground in the Ultralight ranks as they are all cleaning up.

Mark

Which rule prohibits the 748 then?  As written, and without a specific single bike restriction noted, I don't see how you can keep the older 748 out.

roadracer162

Quote from: Eric Kelcher on September 11, 2008, 09:15:23 AM
Ducati 748 should not have been included as a legal machine in Ultra-Light

Wording should have been twin cylinder liquid cooled, pre 1999 model year, up to 700cc

I had not read this thread as I figured it had to do with SV650, Ninja650 for next year and was just going to let ideas flow.

The correction will be made for 2009

Quote from: Kurlon on March 17, 2009, 08:31:27 AM
Which rule prohibits the 748 then?  As written, and without a specific single bike restriction noted, I don't see how you can keep the older 748 out.

Well, I guess it was never corrected and it is legal per my 2009 rule book.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

race712

Quote from: roadracer22 on March 17, 2009, 08:17:26 AM
George - I am right with you on that thought. It isn't only Ed Key that goes fast on an SV although he definitely is a stand out. There is also Kyle Keesee and Rodolfo Ramirez from the Florida region that can really fly. Kyle was able to run a 2:08 flat at Daytona, on a stock SV, some 2 seconds faster than any other SV. He does pretty well against those Duc 1000s.

nah, on myracingbio.com I see at least one other SV I know is LWSS legal in the mid 2:08's.  I dipped into the 2:08's (SV in LWSS trim) as an amateur at last years ROC and really don't consider myself one of "those guys".  I wasn't at the spring races this year - it was the same layout as the 2008 ROC, right?

roadracer162

2008 ROC was the same layout. A 2:08 was good enough in the Expert GT lights for a 5th place I believe. Not too shabby for a SS SV against all those Ducs. If you ran that as an Amateur, then you are one fast Am. Congrats.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

apriliaman

the cams were worn out on my sv thats why it would not rev past 9k,it has been fixed now and hopefully it will be back to normal power now,the engine is 100% stock also.I'll be at jennings to test it out so see you there.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

roadracer162

Mark - Hopefully I can give you a run for the money. I really did a number on the Ducati and I don't know if I will have it back together. We shall see. Either way I will be there with the FZR400.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Ducati23

The 749 should be allowed in UL and LW classes now. It is slow and SV's are faster so why not? Yeah that should be fine.  :thumb:
CCS/ASRA #23
GP SuperTwins Champion 2007 2008
Ducati 848