News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Best class to start in CCS

Started by Black Snowman, July 13, 2008, 03:36:34 AM

Black Snowman

I have this sneaking suspicion that once I've taken the Visionsports Skills and Thrills I'm going to want a dedicated track bike, and possibly begin racing next year. I know I don't want to start in Supertwins with my brand new 1125R so I have a few questions for the "Been There Done That" crowd. I'd be racing in the Midwest region but I doubt that makes a difference.

1) What's the best class to start in for a 220 lb 34 yo racing nube like myself? The criteria would probably be weighted by inexpensive and safest competitors. I'm guessing Lightweight Supersport or Thunderbike.
2) What's a competitive and inexpensive bike that works in the class answered in question 1 that I should keep an eye out for?
3) Should I dismiss the thought of racing for a year or two and just get a dedicated track bike to run and ignore the race classification of it to just get a good deal? For instance, find a track prepped middleweight on the cheap since they seem to be pretty common and inexpensive.

This has probably been hashed to death but I think my bodyweight and age might be a factor, rule changes, plus the search engine here isn't that great so I couldn't find anything real useful.

Thanks in advance. Now we'll see how many people chime in with "Get an SV!"  :biggrin:

LongDogRacing

no brainer.  get an SV.

they are cheap.  easy to maintain.  easy on tires/cheaper on tires.

experience on the SV has set me up well to run a middleweight 600 to its full potential for next year.

the SV can be competitive in at least 5 ccs classes (LWSS, LWSB, LWGP, GTL, Thunderbike), thus giving you great bang for the buck for the weekend.

hope that helps.

Justin Pennella
CCS Ex #32

Proud supporter of MOTOHICK

xb9racer

Or get a Buell. Contingency is second to none! :thumb:

Gixxerblade

I would race the 1125 if it were me. If you want another street bike then get a 600.

weggieman

Don't start.......it's a bottomless hole to throw money in!

PJ

Find a used XB9 or XB12 and go for it. Buell pays contingency to amatuers and experts and has a racing support program second to none. No minimum grid. 2003 and newer models. You can find low mile street bikes with minor crash damage for around $4,000. And there are plenty of Buell racers in the MW region who will help show you the ropes.

Save the 1125R for when you turn expert. It will be paid off by then (maybe?) and you'll be ready for the extra power.

http://buell.com/en_us/mania/racing/2008BuellRacingSupport.pdf

PS. Size can be a factor, but it doesn't have to limit you. I'm 40-years-old/6'1"/205 and reasonably competitive in the LW, Thunderbike and SuperTwins classes with a lightly modded XB12R.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

LongDogRacing

question about buell's

if the XB12's are good for the LW classes, what would the XB9 run in?

thanks, --justin
Justin Pennella
CCS Ex #32

Proud supporter of MOTOHICK

Super Dave

I don't have a rule book in front of me, but can the XB9 run in ultralightweight?

BS, yeah, the SV is an easy one.  Good platform that has spanned ten model years in two generational configurations.  Lightweight Supersport is really the only class that it's supersport legal in, while all the other lightweight classes allow modifications.  So, carbon tanks, GSXR forks...really, it's a nice platform to use for your own personalization and opportunity for development, whether it's good or bad...LOL!

The aircooled Buell gig is certainly an opportunity.  Amateur cash.  I mean, that's a nice thing, although I might not agree with it, it almost has to be considered.  If you have a relationship with your Buell/H-D dealership, hey, it might at least be worth looking at.
Super Dave

PJ

The XB9 used to be legal for Middleweight Sportsman (and later Ultra Light), but was booted out a few seasons ago. So, there is no class the XB9 can race in that the XB12 can't. A strong XB9 might make 77-81hp and weighs 420-440lbs. An XB12 should make 10-15 more HP, more torque and weighs the same. So the 12 is a better option if you are leaving the engine stock.

However, the hot set up for highly modded Buells is the XB9 short stroke engine with big bore pistons...

I use the XB12 with stock displacement, XB9 pistons for greater compression and a lightened flywheel.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

Ducati23

Open class super bike, maybe a GSXR1k or R1 and then race unlimited SBK and GP, oh wait you said VRS not NESBA....hmmm better get an SV or Ninja 650 and race LW classes.
CCS/ASRA #23
GP SuperTwins Champion 2007 2008
Ducati 848

Super Dave

Super Dave

Ducati23

We'll you know how fast he'd be if he was a NESBA guy. He'd have two questions - Which way does the track go and what's the ...tOm
CCS/ASRA #23
GP SuperTwins Champion 2007 2008
Ducati 848