News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Help with Paint and Color

Started by Random, January 31, 2008, 04:00:13 PM

Random

I am relatively new to the forum and very new to CCS.  I have been doing track days for a couple of years and hope to race some this year.  Having recently purchased a SV650 I am trying to figure out what colors to paint it.  I want something fairly simple maybe just 1 or 2 colors but I don't want to piss people off by painting colors exactly like someone else's.  How do you guys determine your color schemes?  Do people get miffed if you inadvertently have the same look?    Any advice will be appreciated.

YellowRacer

CCS #131 AM

How do they do it?
Why do they do it?
Riding, and crashing, and riding, and winning
And always faster, and faster, and faster!
     - Faster

kl3640

I don't think that anyone would get annoyed unless you took someone's decoration scheme EXACTLY, or tried to look like a member of a race team to which you don't actually belong.

Just pick whatever color(s) you like.  My advice would be to keep it simple - you WILL crash at some point, and you want the cosmetic aspect of the repair to be simple and relatively inexpensive.

funsizeracing

Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

Random

Quote from: kl3640 on January 31, 2008, 05:32:21 PM
I don't think that anyone would get annoyed unless you took someone's decoration scheme EXACTLY, or tried to look like a member of a race team to which you don't actually belong.

Just pick whatever color(s) you like.  My advice would be to keep it simple - you WILL crash at some point, and you want the cosmetic aspect of the repair to be simple and relatively inexpensive.

What colors crash the best?  I am leaning towards 1 solid color. 

brotekind269

well I'm painting my bike red on white, so those colors crash terrible. Make sure you don't use red and white, or i'll get pissed.  Seriously paint it how ever you want. I see a couple bikes that are painted exactally like mine (they are copying me not me copying them), but I could care less. just don't copy the hells angels scheme, those guys get angry.

I'm not sure where you race, but if it gets sunny and hot, you might want a lighter color. My colors were red on black, but one day in august at humid summit point, I decided to change to white.

The color that crashes the best is Primer.

proechel539

The best color is probably the one you like best. All I know is black touches up pretty easy after a get off.
Darrell Proechel
CCS Ex # 76
02 SV-650, 06 GSXR750
proechel1@comcast.net

Random

Thanks for the help.  Like I said I just don;t want to piss anyone off.

I was thinking of a bright yellow but was concerned about how it would look with the more golden yellow # plates.  Does anyone have any pics of a real yellow with the amateur plates? 

benprobst

Quote from: Random on February 01, 2008, 03:17:54 PM
Thanks for the help.  Like I said I just don;t want to piss anyone off.

I was thinking of a bright yellow but was concerned about how it would look with the more golden yellow # plates.  Does anyone have any pics of a real yellow with the amateur plates? 

Just paint the whole bike number plate yellow. Then it all matches and you dont even have to mark of your number plates. You can draw some up with pinstripping tape, but lots of guys just do the all yellow thing. Especially on tailsections.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

truckstop

Another easy way to paint for easy repair is to paint separate panels different colors - for instance paint the upper fairing and fender one color, and then the lower fairing and tail a second color. Painting a whole panel is easier than taping off intricate designs.

foughtstrong

Either paint it just primer or two colors, the tail and nose was yellow because I'm an AM and the rest black that's what I did my first year racing, and I'm glad i did because after i went down twice, I would of been pissed if I spent alot of time painting a complicated paint scheme.   it's real easy to get a can of  spray paint and touch it up.  Yup you'll be surprise how many people just use spray paint to paint there bikes.

Boober

I try to match readily available colored DUCT TAPE!! :biggrin: