News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Help with Paint and Color

Started by Random, January 31, 2008, 04:00:13 PM

Random

I am relatively new to the forum and very new to CCS.  I have been doing track days for a couple of years and hope to race some this year.  Having recently purchased a SV650 I am trying to figure out what colors to paint it.  I want something fairly simple maybe just 1 or 2 colors but I don't want to piss people off by painting colors exactly like someone else's.  How do you guys determine your color schemes?  Do people get miffed if you inadvertently have the same look?    Any advice will be appreciated.

YellowRacer

CCS #131 AM

How do they do it?
Why do they do it?
Riding, and crashing, and riding, and winning
And always faster, and faster, and faster!
     - Faster

kl3640

I don't think that anyone would get annoyed unless you took someone's decoration scheme EXACTLY, or tried to look like a member of a race team to which you don't actually belong.

Just pick whatever color(s) you like.  My advice would be to keep it simple - you WILL crash at some point, and you want the cosmetic aspect of the repair to be simple and relatively inexpensive.

funsizeracing

Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

Random

Quote from: kl3640 on January 31, 2008, 05:32:21 PM
I don't think that anyone would get annoyed unless you took someone's decoration scheme EXACTLY, or tried to look like a member of a race team to which you don't actually belong.

Just pick whatever color(s) you like.  My advice would be to keep it simple - you WILL crash at some point, and you want the cosmetic aspect of the repair to be simple and relatively inexpensive.

What colors crash the best?  I am leaning towards 1 solid color. 

brotekind269

well I'm painting my bike red on white, so those colors crash terrible. Make sure you don't use red and white, or i'll get pissed.  Seriously paint it how ever you want. I see a couple bikes that are painted exactally like mine (they are copying me not me copying them), but I could care less. just don't copy the hells angels scheme, those guys get angry.

I'm not sure where you race, but if it gets sunny and hot, you might want a lighter color. My colors were red on black, but one day in august at humid summit point, I decided to change to white.

The color that crashes the best is Primer.

proechel539

The best color is probably the one you like best. All I know is black touches up pretty easy after a get off.
Darrell Proechel
CCS Ex # 76
02 SV-650, 06 GSXR750
proechel1@comcast.net

Random

Thanks for the help.  Like I said I just don;t want to piss anyone off.

I was thinking of a bright yellow but was concerned about how it would look with the more golden yellow # plates.  Does anyone have any pics of a real yellow with the amateur plates? 

benprobst

Quote from: Random on February 01, 2008, 03:17:54 PM
Thanks for the help.  Like I said I just don;t want to piss anyone off.

I was thinking of a bright yellow but was concerned about how it would look with the more golden yellow # plates.  Does anyone have any pics of a real yellow with the amateur plates? 

Just paint the whole bike number plate yellow. Then it all matches and you dont even have to mark of your number plates. You can draw some up with pinstripping tape, but lots of guys just do the all yellow thing. Especially on tailsections.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

truckstop

Another easy way to paint for easy repair is to paint separate panels different colors - for instance paint the upper fairing and fender one color, and then the lower fairing and tail a second color. Painting a whole panel is easier than taping off intricate designs.

foughtstrong

Either paint it just primer or two colors, the tail and nose was yellow because I'm an AM and the rest black that's what I did my first year racing, and I'm glad i did because after i went down twice, I would of been pissed if I spent alot of time painting a complicated paint scheme.   it's real easy to get a can of  spray paint and touch it up.  Yup you'll be surprise how many people just use spray paint to paint there bikes.

Boober

I try to match readily available colored DUCT TAPE!! :biggrin:

LilJayRR

Quote from: Boober on February 01, 2008, 05:51:46 PM
I try to match readily available colored DUCT TAPE!! :biggrin:

So your bike is all primer huh?

Jason Gibbens
Expert #62 Mid-Atlantic
2007 GTU Team Challenge Champions!
2009 ZX6R RnR Cycles, Repsol, Dunlop, Woodcraft

Boober

roadracer162

Quote from: foughtstrongracing on February 01, 2008, 05:45:23 PMYup you'll be surprise how many people just use spray paint to paint there bikes.

Wait, I use that high class krylon.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

kl3640

Quote from: Random on February 01, 2008, 07:39:57 AM
What colors crash the best?  I am leaning towards 1 solid color. 

I'm not sure if one color "crashes" any better than another, but if the paint ever gets scratched through then a color that's closer to the under-coat might not show the scratch as much.  Then again, dark colors might touch up better - you might want to ask a body painter.

What I was referring to by "simple" was what someone else mentioned, which is to avoid multi-colors on a single body panel (or a single large section of a panel, such as the cowl piece of the upper).  That way, small damage will be less apparent and touch-ups and repairs will be easier (and less costly).  If you want to accent a piece, then do so with colored vinyl graphics or stripes.

Regarding the number plates, my advice would be to either paint the upper and tail yellow if you like that, or paint them whatever color you like and then go to a local sign shop and purchase a few feet of yellow vinyl (get your numbers and a few extras while you're there, since they'll be cheaper than buying them pre-cut at the track - just make sure to get the right size and font; check the rules, but I'm pretty sure that it's Arial Narrow Bold 8" Front 6" Rear, with a lowercase L used in lieu of the 1 since the 1 in that font has a serif).  When you're paint has dried and *fully cured*, apply the vinyl to the number plate location.  You can either lay the vinyl over the location with the backing still on it to trace the shape and then cut it before applying, or you can apply it and then trim off the excess with a sharp blade, being careful not to damage your paint.  A lot of people will put some vinyl striping of a different color (one that contrasts against both the yellow and the color of the upper) around the number plates to aid contrast and for looks.  It would also cover up any small marks you make while in the process of trimming off the excess vinyl.

An alternative is to purchase pre-cut vinyl number plates, which are available on-line and at some bike/race shops.  You could also figure out the shape with a piece of paper and take that to your local sign shop, where they will cut you the vinyl for your number plates in the shape that you provided.  Some people take actual hard plastic number plates and zip tie them in place, but I don't like that because they don't look as good imho and could come off on the track.  On the other hand, their use does make changing numbers often easy, if you have reason to do so.

Good luck.

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote from: LilJayRR on February 01, 2008, 06:53:35 PMSo your bike is all primer huh?

That's what I do.

I haven't painted the last 3 sets of bodywork I've had on my bikes, I just leave them all white and stick my numbers on!  :biggrin:  :thumb:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

mikendzel

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=288556912&albumID=149079&imageID=413058

I was bored and tried to work up something in the vein of the Yammy GP bikes....

Fast4fun

I like the idea about getting vinyl from a sign shop. I could never find numbers that fit my bike properly so I'm making a template in MS Word using the word art function to custom shape numbers with a slope that will fit my bikes shape. Now I know where to look for the vinyl...thanks.

As far as colors. I dog ear bikes I like in magazines and try to replicate them with Krylon. Since it's several months before we race again, this keeps me occupied. Regarding crashability, remember that your bike will be seen at 50/50... from at least 50 ft away and at 50mph! By the end of the last race season, the pics I purchased still looked great even though the bike had been down several times and up close it looks aweful.

If I see you out there with MV Agusta F4 colors I'll probably try to run you off the track.  :kicknuts:
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

kl3640

Quote from: Fast4fun on February 02, 2008, 11:35:51 AM
I like the idea about getting vinyl from a sign shop. I could never find numbers that fit my bike properly so I'm making a template in MS Word using the word art function to custom shape numbers with a slope that will fit my bikes shape. Now I know where to look for the vinyl...thanks.

Make sure of a couple of things:

1) Whichever font or number design you use, make sure that it will be ok with CCS - it doesn't have to match the sample in the rules exactly, but it does need to be close.

2) The plotters used to cut vinyl are driven by programs that require vector graphics.  If you can, use a program like Corel to design it natively as a vector, but if you use Word or something and cannot save it as a vector, then convert it to a vector graphic using the free utility at vectormagic.stanford.edu.  Make sure that you view the final vector version before taking it to the shop, to make sure that it didn't get changed in the vectorization process, as sometimes happens.

Alternately, you can actually bring a physical sample of what you want to the shop, as most sign shops have the ability to scan a sample and reproduce it.

chaplain220

:thumb: to the adhesive vinyl from the sign shop, it can give a little bling to a custom krylon job, and can cover superficial damage.  Just make sure the surface is prepped and degreased well so the vinyl adheres properly.  Stickers are da bomb as well, and they cover a multitude of mishaps, plus I think they make me look faster.  As far as anyone gettin ticked off cause yer bikes look the same, I think you'll find almost every racer is more than willing to help ya in any way, and will even take time out during the race day to lend you a hand.  I'd be more concerned about T10 at Summit Pt that likes to eat new bodywork.  Welcome to the addiction.