News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

is the "speed hump" on leather important???

Started by MELK-MAN, March 01, 2003, 11:17:29 AM

MELK-MAN

getting ready to order some leathers from SYED and the speed hump is $50.. is it protection, wind reduction.. both?? and is it really important.. in not setting any records and my f4 is not endangering the sound barrier or anything.. the lettering on the back of leathers looks way better without a speed hump and i have a great back protector already, the bohn pro-racer.. 1" thick, kevlar raised areas, so was gonna leave the hump off...
watcha think...
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Speedballer347

I say it is important.
I have(had) a set of leathers w/ a thick/solid/dense hump.
October Gateway, Turn 7.  I was the guy up in the air ;D
Landed directly on my hump(neck) and helmet hard enough to bust my Arai and completely deform the hump (and "knock me the F out" :D ).  
I came too, 'knowing' that I had broken my neck from the impact....thank God(!!!!!!), I hadn't

imho, my upper vertabrae would have fractured w/out the hump.
Just my .02

CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

ceesthadees

Notwithstanding the remarks from sb347, I was told by Vanson that the bump was strictly for wind reduction and the material in it was not for impact protection.

However, it is hard to argue with sb347 comments!!

BTW sb347, that is the funniest d@mn gif I have ever seen  ;D

motomadness

I have a SYED leather suit with the hump.  I think it's important for both reasons you mentioned.  Although it might not aid in protecting you from an huge impact type of blow, but it will provide an imtermediate stop for your helmet, as well as improve the coverage of your spine and neck area.  

Did you know if you break your neck near your skull, above T5 or T6, you'll die almost instantly.  This may not keep you from breaking your neck, but it will provide you with extra protection.

I crashed, out of turn 1 at Gateway.  It was a simple low-side, but I was almost instantly thrown to my back and knocked out.  If you look at my helmet, you'll see that I hit the lower part of my helmet.  I had no other scrapes or scares to speak of.  Did the pad help?  I think so, and I probably won't buy another suit without it.

Speedballer347

I think the 'impact' importance of the hump really comes down to the density/hardness of the hump itself, which is dictated by brand.

I was luck enough to have had a 2" thick, ultra dense/hard impact absorbing hump.  But I think that is the minority when it comes to the humps.
Almost every other hump I have seen feels like it is stuffed w/ Kleenex, very soft and not much impact absorbance.  Then I think, you get more into the aero benefits, and away from softening the 'punch'.

Any padding is better than none, but I feel that the outcome of my crash could have easliy been different w/out that 'solid' hump.
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

Super Dave

The hump idea has always been for aerodynamics.  However, when Buell tested humps for Vanson in a wind tunnel, it was found that they did not help, in fact, they were worse than no hump.

As for impact...

If you toss yourself on the ground, you hit the back hump first, you could twist your neck back.  You could be all done by the shock back tearing all the arteries in your neck, etc.  Unless something immobilizes the movement of your neck, it isn't going to work.  It the hump were to not allow your head to move back, like you have to do when you're tucked down under the bubble, then it might work.  But you couldn't see where you're going.  

Humps are BS...but you have to decide.
Super Dave

stickman

I know nothing about humps, but every pro I've ever seen has one. If they did nothing, I don't think they would wear them.

Super Dave

It's called Marketing!  Differentiation from others.  

That's why some teams that run EBC stickers, list EBC as a sponsor, and are used in advertising...don't even use EBC brakes.  

At the pro level, it's only marketing, not what they are really using.  

Just like Nicky is actually wearing Joe Rocket leathers...they are not.
Super Dave

MELK-MAN

QuoteThe hump idea has always been for aerodynamics.  However, when Buell tested humps for Vanson in a wind tunnel, it was found that they did not help, in fact, they were worse than no hump.

As for impact...

If you toss yourself on the ground, you hit the back hump first, you could twist your neck back.  You could be all done by the shock back tearing all the arteries in your neck, etc.  Unless something immobilizes the movement of your neck, it isn't going to work.  It the hump were to not allow your head to move back, like you have to do when you're tucked down under the bubble, then it might work.  But you couldn't see where you're going.  

Humps are BS...but you have to decide.

this was kind of my thinking. The guys at SYED when i asked about them said, "well, 75% or so are getting them put on but it seems mostly cause everyone is getting them.." .. the heard effect case in point..
i like the clean look without and have a great back protector. Had a real big get off and landed on my back some time ago. bent some things back and turned my BEST laps ever later that day...
later
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

MightyDuc Racing

Hey Greg.  I say just get what makes ya happy.  They look cool, but I read an article a while back that said they make ya a bit slower (not enough to notice) and don't really add any extra protection.  I personally think they look cool and will probably get one on my next set of leathers.  Just my .02.

MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

MightyDuc Racing

By the way...u going to Moroso for sure?  We are heading over early Saturday morning and staying at the Seminole Country Inn in Indiantown.  They give a $10 Moroso discount and that's where HD told me to stay.  Looks like a cool little bed & breakfast.  See ya there!  Maybe we can pit near each other.  I should have a case of burgers from my food sponsor we can chew on while we're there, too.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Super Dave

Quote They look cool, but I read an article a while back that said they make ya a bit slower (not enough to notice) and don't really add any extra protection.
Um, that's what I think...  Why waste the money...
Super Dave